Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By luvdabags
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By GoStanford

Thread: Color-coding accessories?

Color-coding accessories?

OK, a seemingly trivial question, but I'm stuck and can't seem to resolve it in my mind. I started setting up a color-coded system for an upcoming family trip, but don't know what color packing cubes to assign to myself. (These are non-TB cubes, but I want them to coordinate with my TB accessories.)

My choices are: teal, grey, red, and black (there are other colors, but those four are the only ones I like).

Considerations:

- must work with one of the Travel Trays I already own. I have: Solar, Nordic, Black, Wasabi to work with. (Can't do UV, as my daughter has already claimed that one. And teal would be slightly confusing, because my son already has dark blue packing cubes assigned to him. But I have a Turquoise 3DCOC that goes with the teal, though that's not the same as a TT. And I've thought about yellow packing cubes, but apparently that is too much yellow for my brain to handle.)

- Alternately, I could do a trade (for Wasabi) or order an Iberian TT. Then I could do red packing cubes, which is the color I like the most out of the four choices , but I was also thinking of assigning a CQPC or 3DCOC in Iberian to be the first-aid kit... so would it be too confusing to have red cubes and a red FA kit?

- Black or grey are nice neutrals, but they don't have the benefit of high visibility. (On the other hand, if DH likes the concept, I could always pass on the dark cubes to him, and get one of the other colors. Back to my dilemma. )

So yes, a silly conundrum, but one I'm hung up on. Any Bihnions want to help me out of this rut?

i bet teal and wasabi would look great together!

Not enabling or anything but, I would definitely order the iberian TT since that's your favorite. As for the FAK you can still use iberian. Put both clips of a long key strap, in a different color, on it. That should be enough to set it apart so anyone can spot it and not accidentally grab your socks.
    haraya likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I think color choice is a very personal thing...I'll be curious as to what you settle on. I have rediscovered Travel Trays after returning the very first one I purchased (in UV). I don't usually close them, just leave them open as cylindrical bins. Over time, I hope to acquire Iberian, as I have Solar and I have Wasabi on the way - get it? Red, yellow, green! I have fairly strong associations with some colors so this will help me with tabletop organization.
    haraya likes this.

Thank you all for the replies!! I am so torn!! I think I've eliminated black and grey, color is more fun. Red is "safe", a proven color for me, but at the same time I don't know if I can deal with that much red in my suitcase. (I love red for accents.) Teal/turquoise is light, bright - but will I grow tired of it? What if they discontinue that color, I won't be able to add on?!

That should be enough to set it apart so anyone can spot it and not accidentally grab your socks.
    Haha, Moose, too funny!! At least they can use the socks as bandages, maybe.

I have fairly strong associations with some colors so this will help me with tabletop organization.
    GoStanford - this is my hope too. Especially for this trip... we will be moving around every few days so I wanted everyone to have clear associations of "all the purple things are DD's", "blue equals DS", and so on. I ended up with a big collection of TTs because I was enamored of the 400d Nordic and black versions.

Decisions, decisions...

Not that anyone's waiting on tenterhooks, but I ended up choosing the red. (I ordered Travelwise packing cubes from Amazon, and will eventually add an Iberian TT to my collection, and some kind of red OP for the first-aid kit.) Red just felt right, and I liked that it allowed for "sideways integration" with other brands - I feel like red is easier to match across different product lines, whereas blue is more specific (think French blue, Storm, Navy, Nordic). But I am going to do turquoise paracord for the pulls!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Not that anyone's waiting on tenterhooks, but I ended up choosing the red.
    I am glad you posted an update. I think red functions (surprisingly, perhaps) as a nice neutral. It seems from your initial post that you do like the color red.

Hee!! Thank you so much, GoStanford. I do love red!! I had a red everyday purse for a long time and it went with just about everything I wore. (I have turquoise in my wardrobe too, but not as much as I have in red.)

It will also be much easier to tell DH "grab the red cube", and not have to specify "the TEAL cube, not the ROYAL blue cube!" He is straightforward guy, doesn't mess with shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I am glad you posted an update. I think red functions (surprisingly, perhaps) as a nice neutral. It seems from your initial post that you do like the color red.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0