Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Riley

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Riley

Everyone: Tom wanted me to share this with you. Some of you met Riley in our Factory Showroom and some of you know him from our About Us page and Tom's blog posts. We're sorry to share such sad news, but we thought you would want to know.

Name:  RIley.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  65.6 KB

To my friends and Riley's friends . . .

I know some of you are getting this sad news a little late - sorry about that.

After a relatively quick decline (likely from leukemia), Riley passed peacefully the morning of Saturday, March 22nd, 2014, on a beautiful grassy hill near my house.

To say I will miss him falls so short of the truth: he's been my almost constant companion for over a dozen years - at work, on hikes, at parties. He was such a sweet and gentle person, and the sort of authentic gentleman I can only aspire to be.

For those of you who were fortunate enough to have met Riley around the store or the factory, please remember him with a kind thought.

He was my best friend, my better half, my hero.

- Tom

Volunteer Moderator
    @Darcy, @Tom, So, so sorry to hear this. I loved seeing Riley in the videos, and missed the fact that the new forum redesign no longer had his own web page. I never had the chance to visit your Seattle Store in person to meet him. Sincere condolences.

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

So sorry for your loss
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    For those of you who'd like to see what Riley's web page used to look like, and how he looked in some of the older videos, I'm excerpting some relevant sections of my post from the Does Tom Bihn really exist and what does he look like? thread:

Here are a few other resources in addition to the YouTube videos that @Badger linked:
    • The Bleeding Edge 019: A Visit To Tom Bihn (August 4, 2006) - a video that shows Tom talking about the design process amidst the bags of his Store (back in 2006). Clck on the download link for "iPod-formatted H.264" below the episode description to play this video. This is one of my favorites among the earlier videos that I've linked to in posts, because it features Tom's comments and idea sketches rather than product reviews. For those of us who have never managed to visit the store, this provides us with a peek (two incarnations earlier, when they still sold Trager bags in addition to their own products, and when you could order Brain Cells in many colors.) I can see the old Apple Mini cases (eM2), Lux bags (Swift predecessors in Ballistic Nylon) in Grape, Kiwi, etc., old style Yang Imagos, original Buzz sling backpacks, and the Archetypes (in Snow Leopard, rather than Cork). The video showed Tom working on the Zephyr prototype (not yet named), and there was also a great shot of Tom's dog, Riley. And by the way, I miss Riley's old web page
    moriond

ETA: Just realized that based on the date in Tom's message, the original post this was excerpted from, which appeared at the end of March, must have shown up just a few days after Riley passed away.

ETA2: Here's the picture of Riley that appeared in Skookum Dog's post-New Year blog photo entry, leading off things that were Better with Years

Last edited by moriond; 07-07-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added Skkokum Dog Blog picture and links

Den Verlust eines so guten und treuen Freundes können Ausenstehende nur sehr unzureichend nachempfinden. Ich bin traurig mit Euch und für Euch und wünsche Euch, dass Ihr Euch gegenseitig in dieser schweren Zeit stützen könnt. Mein Herzlichstes Beileid.

Sorry for the German, but there are things better said in ones native language. I am feeling for you!

Ilkyway

I was one of the fortunate ones to have met Riley... so sorry for your loss. To me he was the furry face of TB.

One of the many things I love about the company is your love for dogs. I had brought my Black/UV Synapse during my visit to the factory. Riley will be lovingly remembered every time I use it.

Riley was truly a Friend of Tom.

Name:  image_medium-1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  103.6 KB
    Last edited by gochicken; 07-07-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

My deepest, deepest condolences for your loss. The love and friendship of one's furry best friend is incomparable.

I never met Riley, but I've heard so much about him that he has always been part of the TB family in my mind. I'm so sorry for your loss.

So sorry.

Riley was a gentleman indeed, a loving and polite one, meeting him was unforgettable.

That is just so sad...my deepest condolences on the passing of your best friend and soul mate Tom. May he live on in all the precious memories you have of him. RIP Riley...you beautiful dog...

Tom, it is so hard to loose a constant companion like Riley. In time the pain will get softer but in the mean time hold tight to all the precious memories you made together. You gave him a great life. I am sorry for your loss.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Although they’re called pets and even property by some most of us know them as much more. They’re our friends, companions and often the only living thing that truly loves us unconditionally. My condolences and so thankful you had him in your life.

Oh. words fail. Thank you for letting us know about your dog's passing. I have lost canine family before and it feels terrible. We hope you know that people out here care about you. We will hold you in our thoughts.
    Dee and Meeka

Please accept my deepest sympathy. Riley was fortunate to have had you as a companion.

Oh, Tom, I'm so sorry for your deep loss. I'm sure you were a blessing to Riley, as he was to you, and he'll be waiting for you at The Rainbow Bridge. I'm glad the grassy hill was his last place. I still have a jar of dirt from the spot where my own beloved last camped out and looked at the stars with me.

Nothing makes the pain of separation go away, but I hope the memories of him will help you remember how great you were to him.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0