Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By eWalker
  • 2 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 2 Post By eWalker

Thread: Locks

Locks

Shopping for a lock that can do double duty for travel/TSA and gym locker. There are a lot of options with varying reviews so I'm wondering if anybody has one they love. I'm leaning away from number combinations for either a word lock or key card. It just has to be easy, unobtrusive and function as a deterrent. Thanks!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

@RhoFro

I choose SignalSearch lock from EagleCreek Security Line because ii has an indicator function to inform you if your bag was opened by security personnel.

Itís just nice to know.
    RhoFro likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Pacsafe - Prosafe 750 TSA accepted key-card lock for me, I find key cards easier to keep and there's no metal key to scratch my stuff.

@eWalker, that's neat! 1st time I've seen a lock like that.
    I agree it's nice to know, although I'm not sure if I'll be tickled or mortified to know that a security agent might have been rifling through my dirty underwear :P

Wait..... do they wash their hands after going through each piece of luggage? What if they search clean clothing after dirty ones?!
    Never mind, I don't think eWalker's lock is suitable for me, I can't handle the truth lol

I've always avoided locks that need keys, cards or anything I could loose. If I have a three or four number combination lock there's a better chance I'll be able to get it open later. I have a ton of different locks but don't use them much anymore since my bags are usually with me. Not sure why I still even have them. More to declutter...
    Moose
    taminca likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Pacsafe - Prosafe 750 TSA accepted key-card lock for me, I find key cards easier to keep and there's no metal key to scratch my stuff.

@eWalker, that's neat! 1st time I've seen a lock like that.
    I agree it's nice to know, although I'm not sure if I'll be tickled or mortified to know that a security agent might have been rifling through my dirty underwear :P

Wait..... do they wash their hands after going through each piece of luggage? What if they search clean clothing after dirty ones?!
    Never mind, I don't think eWalker's lock is suitable for me, I can't handle the truth lol
    You are mean!! I could deal with the knowledge of that someone opened my bag but never thought of how many piles of dirty underwear they handle with their gloved hands before searching my bag!!

Soundtrack of "Gone with the wind"

Looking at the sun rising.... GOD AS MY WITNESS, I WILL NEVER CHECK MY BAGS AGAIN!!!

Ops... I already did this scene!!

But the locker is nice to use on the carry-on while carrying it on backpack mode!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-06-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Lock yes, Scale no

As a follow-up, I purchased the Sea to Summit Travelling Light lock and love it. It's very unobtrusive and the perfect size to use on luggage or at the gym.

However, my luggage scale did not work out. It was ginormous and went back today. Someone mentioned the EatSmart brand - which got great reviews on Amazon - but I've read several times that the battery drains quickly. My prior scale did this and I hated it, especially when it doesn't take AAA replacements. Did anyone find one they really like that takes AAA and is accurate? Preferably a two-hand model but that might be asking a lot. Tare function would be a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    However, my luggage scale did not work out. It was ginormous and went back today. Someone mentioned the EatSmart brand - which got great reviews on Amazon - but I've read several times that the battery drains quickly. My prior scale did this and I hated it, especially when it doesn't take AAA replacements. Did anyone find one they really like that takes AAA and is accurate? Preferably a two-hand model but that might be asking a lot. Tare function would be a big bonus.
    I have the EatSmart scale - if you're looking for small, light, AAA, two-handed, with tare, it is none of those things. It's a nice scale for weighing luggage at home, which I why I have it, but I wouldn't think of traveling with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul View Post
    I have the EatSmart scale - if you're looking for small, light, AAA, two-handed, with tare, it is none of those things. It's a nice scale for weighing luggage at home, which I why I have it, but I wouldn't think of traveling with it.
    This looks like it's made for travel. Eatsmart Precision It's 2 handed (lithium) but I'm not sure if it has a tare function, or if battery drain makes it prohibitive to dependable use.

This is the luggage scale I use. It comes in numerous colors--sorry, no aubergine--and is very lightweight and accurate:

Amazon.com: Travelon Micro Scale, Black, One Size: Clothing

As for locks, if traveling in the U.S., make sure it has either of these symbols:

Name:  locks_travel_sentry.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  25.6 KB or Name:  locks_safe_skies.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  20.5 KB

and it says it is a TSA compatible lock. This means the TSA have a master key that can open the lock should they need to get into your luggage. If not, they'll just cut it off. (On combination locks, you'll see a little opening for a key.)

If TSA does inspect your luggage when you're not around, they are "supposed" to leave a note letting you know your bag was inspected.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0