Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sturbridge
  • 1 Post By Moose

Thread: Klean Kanteen: Metallic Taste

Klean Kanteen: Metallic Taste

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 20oz insulated Klean Kanteen and have sort of mixed feelings so far.

Pro: Looks good, keeps liquid cold, fits my TB bags nicely

Cons: has a metallic taste

I really dislike the metallic taste and while I have minor health concerns the taste is really the big issue. Iíve washed it several times by hand and in the dishwasher, but so far no help. Iím currently soaking it for 24 hours in hot soapy water with periodic scrubbings to see if that helps. So, has anyone else experienced this with the Klean Kanteen products? Any tips on the best way to eliminate the metallic taste?

I haven't observed this with our Klean Kanteen's, but You may want a vinegar/water wash/soak, or baking soda wash. Both absorb odors and can neutralize tastes.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Almost all our water bottles are Klean Kanteen. I typically will wash with a splash of vinegar, and a drop of dish soap (not a whole squeeze or pump, just a tiny smidge), and lots of water. I use a soft brush (rubber bristles, like for baby bottles, instead of nylon bristles, and I use it only for the water bottles not for any other dishes.) Then I rinse very well. I don't wash them in the dishwasher. I don't notice a metallic taste. BUT, if I put carbonated water in my KK bottles, I notice a faint metallic taste. So only still water goes in our KK.

Volunteer Moderator
    I remember water from Klean Kanteen water bottles tasting like metal. The Lifefactory Bottles are great in that glass doesn't color the taste of water or whatever else you're drinking.

Just curious how long the Lifefactory bottles keep water cool? I sometimes leave my bottle in the car in these hot Georgia summers for an hour or so and the insulated Klean Kanteen did keep the water cool, but of course it tasted like “cold steel”.

I find that if I use a stopper with metal on my Klean Kanteen, I will sometimes get a metallic taste, but if I use a stopper with plastic I don't. I'm guessing the two metal things rub together and must leave little shavings or something?
    Ilkyway likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps.

I'd go with dorayme's suggestion. For a little extra excitement put the vinegar and baking soda in at the same time. That should clean out any lingering nastiness causing the off taste.
    Holly likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

When my Kleen Kanteens where new (the first two to three weeks) I had this metalic taste more often than not. I was a bit disapointed at first. But I thought better metalic taste than plastic-poisen. But after a while the taste disappeared. I do not believe it is due to getting used to but it might be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I find that if I use a stopper with metal on my Klean Kanteen, I will sometimes get a metallic taste, but if I use a stopper with plastic I don't. I'm guessing the two metal things rub together and must leave little shavings or something?
    I still get sometimes what stubridge describes here.

Ilkyway

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0