Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New User from deepest darkest Africa (South Africa)

So for the summer we are in the same Timezone. But you are not missing out on this howl daylight savings. It is so stupid and I wish they would get rid of it.
    vivelly likes this.

Welcome calypso! Greetings from GMT + 08:00.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Welcome calypso!
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Well it looks like im stepping into some unchartered territory. I have searched the forum and it doesnt look like anyone has imported to South Africa before. Now I dont mind paying $400 for a TriStar somewhat loaded up, but if it turns into $800-$900 thats a different story.
    Will have to work out a better way of getting it here.

I take that back, a fully kitted TriStar is closer to $700, so that would mean a landed price of possibly $1500 :P

Yikes! I would wait for someone you know to visit the U.S. so they can pick one up for you.

I don't understand why some countries impose such high import taxes. Same in Brazil, Nigeria. Causes a lot of difficulties for people I know and those with the means or opportunity take "shopping vacations".
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Yeah the textiles duty is so high to protect the local industries from cheap chinese manufacture. Im pretty sure that luggage its technically classified as textiles, but the customs agents are lazy and wont bother checking. Gonna put this all on a raincheck as the local currency isn't fairing that well against the $ and and opening salary here is about $350/pm.
    Probably going up to LA around christmas time so will just pick up some stuff then.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Yikes! I would wait for someone you know to visit the U.S. so they can pick one up for you.

I don't understand why some countries impose such high import taxes. Same in Brazil, Nigeria. Causes a lot of difficulties for people I know and those with the means or opportunity take "shopping vacations".
    That is so true @bchaplin ! I am punished here with a 60% import tax on everything I buy overseas, except for books!

The translated books (printed in Brazil) cost between 2 and 3 times the price of the original, so as you probably guessed already, I try to read everything possible in english... sometimes I read even brazilian writers like Paulo Coelho in itīs american editions.

Here customs agents are very strict with brand name electronics but tend to overlook more mundane (to then) stuff like bags and clothes, specially if they are not high profile like Calvin Klein, etc.

For this reason, I donīt know what to expect from my first TB order arriving July 10th...

I read on the site faq that "We cannot understate or otherwise misrepresent the value of merchandise on customs forms."

So asking TB crew to send it as "free samples", "for evaluation", "no commercial value" or "sale items" is not an option.

@calypso If you have a friend or colleague in US you may ask to resend it to you without labels or accurate customs forms.

If were not for the forms, having it sended as gift (without any price reference) would give you a fair chance to escape the taxes, after all it is a gift that you are giving yourself and/or dear ones!

In my case, I just have to wait and hope that the customs agents are more worried about soccer games then checking customs forms.

But as much as hate those taxes, there is something I must say, it is worth it!

I used an Aeronaut for years without even know who/what was TB, and that spoiled me to a degree that I am buying another Aeronaut plus some of their relatives, so it will doesnīt feel alone (learned from @Ilkyway!) so far away from Seattle.

I learned that TB bags are gregarious and that they are best kept together!

warms regards from GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-04-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I learned that TB bags are gregarious and that they are best kept together!
    LOVE this observation, @eWalker! (And am really sorry about your custom taxes. Ouch!)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0