Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Travel cables

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    I'll also check out those short cables and see if 6" is too short for my travel needs. Now you have me biting my nails about the length, ha ha!
    Even if I carry a few longer cables packed away, I usually find the short cables convenient to use for most purposes -- hence their presence in the PocketPouch. The one instance that I can think of where longer cables could be useful is on the new United 737-800 and 900 series planes. These are narrow aisle planes that they've been installing for long-haul domestic service (coast-to-coast). They've bought them without In-Air-Entertainment systems, and are separately installing Direct TV throughout 2014. A large number of these don't have working systems yet (called "dark birds" in the FlyerTalk forums). They do have powered outlets throughout the seating (at least in Economy Plus), but the outlets are located low down between the seats, so you'd need a long cable to charge from them. They've also spaced the seat rows closer together, limited the recline, and reduced the amount of overhead storage per person in these planes.

HTH. moriond

Ironically I often wish for longer cables when travelling. A lot of hotels like to place guest-accessible power outlets in inconvenient places, usually as far from the bed as possible! I guess having my phone on charge on the desk means I have to get out of bed when the alarm goes off, but I'm always pathetically grateful when there's an outlet by the nightstand.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Ironically I often wish for longer cables when travelling. A lot of hotels like to place guest-accessible power outlets in inconvenient places, usually as far from the bed as possible! I guess having my phone on charge on the desk means I have to get out of bed when the alarm goes off, but I'm always pathetically grateful when there's an outlet by the nightstand.
    I have to say I feel the same way a lot of times.
    I would rather have longer cables than I need than shorter ones than I need if I have to choose.

I also never travel with just as many cables as I need because then I need more when they die on me somewhere I can not get replacements!
    Just happens too often in my world. I also carry multiple chargers and small charged batteries that things can be charged from if needed.

I am headed out soon to somewhere so isolated that the nearest Best Buy or Home Depot or even Walmart is said to be hours away!
    Can you imagine?
    Oh the angst!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0