• 1 Post By vivelly
  • 3 Post By adalangdon
  • 1 Post By Shanisol
  • 2 Post By luvdabags
  • 2 Post By Stacybean
  • 1 Post By icebeng

Thread: Totally off topic..acne treatment

Totally off topic..acne treatment

I know...has NOTHING to do with bags! :-) But I was desperate to find something that works for my teenage daughters acne and when I googled reviews the best one always was Exposed Skincare.
    OK so I went onto the website to order it and where is the home of this skincare? Seattle! Say no more ... I am in!
    So now I am not only getting my bags from Seattle but also pimple cream. :-) I really should move to Seattle. My daughter loves sewing..maybe she can apply for a job at Tom Bihn? ;-)
    eWalker likes this.

As someone who has suffered from acne for 20+ years (err!!!), I will caution you not to think that one "system" will work. Benzoyl peroxide and sulphur (sulpha) are two ingredients that aggravate many people's skin. I get the worst breakouts ever when using benzoyl peroxide -- the depressing, I-don't-want-to-leave-my-house kind of breakouts. However, BP is often the only thing that works to keep skin clear for many acne sufferers. Also, a lot of acne treatments are just too harsh for people's skin to handle. Cleanser + BP + Salicylic Acid + Acne-clearing Mask or Scrub is often more irritating than symptom alleviating. I'd start her off on her system slowly, using one product at a time and then work her way up to the whole system. This way, it's easier to pinpoint which product works the best and which ones don't help much at all.

Also, while her breakouts may be hormonal in nature, she may have an allergy or sensitivity to a food group (dairy is a common one amongst acne sufferers), or might be reacting to something she is topically putting on her skin (sunscreen, moisturizer, makeup, etc.). If her breakouts are hormonal, birth control may be another option. I'm not advocating taking birth control for acne, but I know it's helped out a lot of women with this issue.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

I thank you so much Aeon for your guidance. So sorry to hear you still have problems with acne. :-( I will def. follow your advice on this and start with minimal amount with one product and see how it goes.
    As you said diet has a big role in it too...we eat pretty healthy and unprocessed but she loves meat and milk. :-( The doctor wanted to put her on birth control pills but she is only 12, so I dont want to go there. She also was given a prescription of antibiotics to clear it. But I am also reluctant to put her long term on antibiotics.:-(
    I wouldnt be so fussed with her acne if she wouldnt have such self image issues, she is having a hard time with it and I am concerned too that her face will scar.
    She probably has to cut down on dairy products too if she wants to get clearer skin..Again thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. I hope I am not too out of place with this topic on a Tom Bihn forum...I just wanted to share since it was made in Seattle also....:-)
    eWalker likes this.

I'm young enough to remember what it was like being 12 with acne problems! I would not worry about it in the long run; mine was bad-ish (or at least worse than nearly everyone's in class), but it cleared up a lot after a year and went away completely within a couple of years. Also, if she doesn't pick at her acne much, it probably won't scar? Facial skin scars a lot less easily than say, leg skin.

I second what Aeon says about there being no one system that'll kill off the problem. First, a dermatologist told me to use a foul-smelling cream that was supposed to work, but that was useless, so I quit after a couple of months. Then my mother started me on Clinique facial care products, which I found kinda-sorta effective, but still far from 100%. I would very tentatively suggest Clinique's clarifying lotions, because those clean off excess oil and dirt and are good to use before bedtime. If your kid's skin is sensitive to alcohol, there are mild versions, though FWIW I liked the alcohol versions better even as a 12 YO (I used Clarifying Lotion 2). Another tip would be for her to avoid sleeping on her side if there's acne on her cheeks. Pressure and saliva (if she drools on her pillow) can make it worse.

If the problem is hormonal and chronic, she could go on birth control. It can do wonders for hormonal regulation, but *may* involve another round of trial and error on her part. Some brands of pills that have zero bad side effects on some can wreak complete and utter havoc on others' bodies and psyche.

In the meantime though, as someone whose teenage years are still fresh in her mind, I would advise encouraging her to get comfortable with it/herself as she goes through this icky phase! (With an emphasis on "phase", unless it turns out to be a chronic issue.) Unless there's bad bullying in her class, people will probably comment for a while and then get used to it.

Hope this is of some help--
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-16-2014 at 05:17 AM.

I never had severe acne, but I did have breakouts, continually, into my 30's, and I had rosacea. Both issues cleared up when I stopped using commercial products. I think the chemicals tend to exacerbate the problem, especially for those with sensitive skin. You might consider looking into gentler methods if you end up not being happy with this new product. I have had great results using cleansing grains (oatmeal, flours, etc. with some oils mixed in) and using the oil cleansing method (avoid olive oil).

I hope you find something that works for your daughters... being a teenager is hard enough.
    vivelly likes this.

Sometimes probiotics taken orally daily can help with acne, along with a mild cleanser and moisturizer. I agree with avoid mild and chocolate too. Teen years are tough! Good luck finding the magic combo for your kiddo. She is beautiful despite this issue, I am sure!

Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate this....will take it all on board. Since I bought this skincare from America I think we will try it..together with the tips I got here...but we use it VERY sparingly and cautiously. I have only ever used natural shampoos and body washes for a long long time now and I find you make yourself very sensitive to chemical additives if you do that. Whenever I am forced to use "normal" shampoos now I get a rash and itch. So her skin is also not used to the new skin care.
    Birth control is my last resort I think... I am uneasy about giving hormones to such a young body still developing...
    I have been warned many times about whats to come having teenagers....but Oh God! Its worse....there are days where I think I will loose my sanity!!! Thanks so much guys for all the advice.....!!!!!

I think the most important is to find a good dermatologist. Someone who keeps up to date about his field but doesn't peedle products, including her/his own.

I heard a dermatologist on a show from Canada who said that products advertised on TV make their spokespersons rich but seldom more.

I know it is hard as a teen, I speak from experience, but she needs to stay away from cosmetics aisles, counters and shops, including nail salons and the nail polish aisle.

One good way to alleviate the need for girly shopping is to buy hair accessories and containers to put them in, including Tom Bihn items.

Back to our scheduled programming... The dermatogist will find out if she has oily, dry, sensitive skin or a combinaison of all tree or two.

She/he will also find out the cause: hormones or allergies or both.

For example, I have dry and ultra sensitive skin with a little more oily nose and chin which tend to redden easily (perfect casting for Rudolf the red nose red deer, I know).
    This is the area I used to break out, I used to make the perfect, huge pimple in either area and when I had to go out, I just braced for the taunt. In my thirties, a little girl, told her mom I would make a perfect cast member of the wizard of Oz, yeah that one. I had a large black sun hat, at the time.

I bought two in light and pleasing colors, a short time after.

As a teen, I had allergy reactions to my so called natural botanical/herbal products. I forgot to tell my dermatologist.

Now, I only use organic product, so do many other forum members. They are pure shea, cocoa butters, avocado, coconut oils...

Mausermama shared her receipes in another thread. Skin care recommendations?

Most importantly, it is better to sleep in 100% cotton sheets and pillowcases, buy or make extra pillowcases so you kmow material and you can change them everyday.

Make sure pillow are filled with hypoallergenic material, they are soft (mold to her face) and washed with organic, mild, unscented detergent.

If possible, she should avoid pools but I think it is doable because, now it is early winter where you are.

Please consider other approaches before putting your daughter on birth control pills to control her acne. I am an licensed acupuncturist and herbalist with twenty years of clinical experience and have treated a number or people with acne safely and effectively with Chinese Herbal Medicine protocols. Perhaps there is a Naturopathic Physician in your area ( a real ND who graduated from a legitimate 4 year program) , a medical doctor trained in wholistic medicine, or a knowledgable nutritionist.
    Many patients respond to basic protocols that help modulate the ferocious hormone cascades of adolescence. A probiotic is a fine idea.
    All best to you.
    Aeon and vivelly like this.

Thank you Stacybean!! I will have a look if I find a good dermatologist around here. I really refuse to put her on birth control pills, I just think its wrong for a person so young and developing.
    I am lucky that my daughter is a gumboot girl..not interested in cosmetics, nail polishes and what not...and I am a bit paranoid of whats in the products. 15 years ago I changed to strictly natural organic skin products...the real expensive ones with no nasties in it. I never want to go back to supermarket stuff....
    We use cotton or linen bedding (I hate polyester!) and I will make sure to change her pillow covers every 2. night now. Will try probiotics too...
    The way I see it is that it is a natural phase for the body to go through and treating it with birth control pills or antibiotics doesnt seem right...I ordered the american skincare treatment because its also based on mother nature apart from the 2 ingredients mentioned and because she gave me a hard time cause she thinks she needs a product to fix it. I let her read all the comments here and she understands that a lot of things need to be considered fighting acne..again I thank you all for your time replying. Stacybean its a shame that you are not here in NZ. :-) Holistic medicine is very established in Germany, but only just starting here in NZ. In NZ most GPs believe in hitting you with a chemical bomb...and Paracetamol is being taken here like lollies, a cure for everything...masking pain rather than finding out whats wrong. Quite different from back home.
    Last edited by vivelly; 06-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Oh and thanks for Mauseramas link!!

I had cystic acne starting at age 11 or so. It was horrible for my self image. Thankfully, my mother sent me to a dermatologist. We started with the prescription topicals (including Retin-A), oral antibiotics, and then Accutane. It took two coarses of Accutane, but it stopped my acne PERMANENTLY. It is a VERY toxic treatment that needs to be monitored closely with monthly liver tests (blood tests), but I am SO thankful we did.

Pimple breakouts are one thing, but severe acne (including cystic acne) leaves scars. The scars are more than skin deep - they can be devastating on one's self-image. Accutane is a SERIOUS drug with SERIOUS side effects (particularly if you become pregnant while on it). However, I'm still so thankfull to this day that my mother got me to a dermatologist. My acne was severe; Accutane was the best thing that ever happened to me! I have not one single scar from that acne!

If your daughter is suffering from low self esteem from her skin, consider having her see a dermatologist. It is worth it. Especially when it comes to diagnosing the type of acne and the cause.
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Hi Melissa, am so glad to hear that you got healed from it! I totally understand where you are comming from. When I was 14 I lost almost all of my hair...always had very long hair so I was mortified to loose it. I would have done anything to cure it...even with severe side effects. Appearance is such a big thing....lucky in my case it was the thyroid, so it got fixed with next to no side effects.
    I said before that I dont like the idea of antibiotics....but my daughters acne is not as severe..if it would be I would not hesitate. I really think I should try to find a good dermatologist. Thanks for your input Melissa...and I am really so glad that you didnt end up having scars...

To add to what @adalangdon said about picking at the acne, it would probably be a good idea as well to discourage her from touching her face unnecessarily, especially if she's self conscious about it.
    Not sure if this next part applies to her, but when I had bad acne, I kept thinking it was because my face was dirty and washed it several times a day, it wasn't a good idea lol, I was given stern warnings by my family doctor not to wash my face with any products more than twice a day. Rinsing with water and patting dry in between washes was allowed though.
    Distract her from acne in the meantime, she'll probably grow out of it and develop into a beautiful self assured young lady who can giggle about this phase in her life in future
    Last edited by icebeng; 06-16-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    vivelly likes this.

Thanks icebeng! :-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0