Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Finally: carry on shaming

Finally: carry on shaming

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5484182

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 06-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.

I’ve always believed in operating with the fewest rules possible, but consistently enforcing the rules you do have. It seems the airlines should have clearly stated bag polices and then enforce those policies. Obviously there are some grey areas and a little discretion may be necessary, but sometimes their decisions seem arbitrary and unfair.

Alaska is encouraging people to pull their larger carry-ons to the gate by offering to check these bags for free and get early boarding. It's supposed to be an incentive to get people to check their carry-ons but it's really just providing a way for people to check their luggage for free instead of paying a fee.
    Some people are bold enough to take small suitcases that would never fit in an overhead compartment to the gate, just to get around paying the luggage fee! Sadly, the airlines simply don't enforce even obvious offenders.

It's frustrating to watch.
    eWalker likes this.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

One Alaska policy I really appreciate is early boarding for those who will not be using the overheard but putting their carry-on under the seat instead. I did that recently with my Western Flyer! Early boarding is a boon for those of us for whom walking and carrying the bag is a challenge, but not so much as to justify boarding when they call for wheelchair and disabled boarding.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I'm just a little split on this subject - for the most part I totally agree that way too many people carry on either oversized bags or abuse the 1 carry on plus 1 personal item rule. I dread getting zone 4 or 5 on my boarding pass because I know there will be the push to check bags, (hence my search for the perfect underseat bag). A small part of me thinks this call to tweet pics of carry on offenders is a little immature - kind of like tattling on someone. Overall I'd prefer to see the airlines step up and enforce their carry on rules consistently.

I refuse to click on links to the DM - they're a hideous scare-mongering rag and I won't give them any more traffic.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I did a posting today on my site about this. I didn't link to the DM but to the person who started it, the travel editor of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Here's the link:

Time to smack down “carry-on” offenders - Bad Latitude
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

@Scribe: show me a major news outlet that isn't. I'm starting to regret linking to the first link I found on the topic, and it will be removed.

Henceforth I shall leave the reporting of news to the experts.

ETA: link replaced with one to the Huff Post. 😇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 06-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Ha! I came in late, and was trying to understand why Huffpost is a scare-mongering rag. It really bugs me when rules aren't enforced. I work hard to stick within the guidelines given, and don't appreciate the blatant refusal to respect the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @Scribe: show me a major news outlet that isn't. I'm starting to regret linking to the first link I found on the topic, and it will be removed.
    Thanks, Badger! I agree that no news outlet is without flaws, but the DM is notorious over here for being utterly without scruples.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Those sizers are so small that most wheeled luggages do not fit, yet, I see plenty of humongous wheelies around the gates.

I have never used wheelies, and usually my bags have been carry on size, but many times I had to juggle to fit my soft luggages around hard sided weeled monsters. Some people take up the space of a whole overhead bins, sometimes a family will take two.

One adult will have a wheelie and a huge bag, the other adult a wheelie and the same for each child.

The capacity of my Aeronaut, Tristar and Brain Bag is virtually the same but I can squeeze them in a fraction of the space taken by the wheelies.

I understand the need for wheels when one has mobility or other physical difficulties but most of these are hard sided, thus, harder to manage. Because of their weight, they are a hazard if turbulences open the overhead bins and those monsters tumble down and injure people.

I usually try to place my Brain Bag, or, even better, my Dyneema Aeronaute and/or Tristar on top of me, to protect myself in case of such incident.

Passengers that travel carry-on only with gargantuan luggage are also a pet peeve of mine. The woman in the photo with the large orange duffle is clearly not following the rules, and no doubt someone behind her will have to gate check at extra cost as the bins would be full.

I have seen the airlines enforce the rules every so often, but they don't seem to do it consistently. One good example was a Rome-Athens flight I took with EasyJet, who have a strict one-bag rule for cabin luggage. Bags were checked in a sizer at security but they also had a luggage sizer set up at the gate.

One passenger was clearly over the limit, and he was told the bag would have to be checked. That resulted in a screaming match with the gate attendant, who promptly called the Captain. He told the passenger, "I decide what goes on this airplane and THAT bag is not going into the cabin". I boarded at about that time so never did see the final result, but I'm assuming the bag in question had to be gate-checked at extra cost.

I haven't travelled with my new TriStar yet, so hopefully I'll be able to keep the size reasonably "thin" when I pack it.
    eWalker likes this.

I don't think this ever spread beyond the Pittsburgh airport and I'm not sure if they even do this anymore, but that airport used to have a special lane at security if you had only a single bag. There wasn't really a size requirement, i.e., only a purse or a small backpack, but it was supposed to reward those who either checked bags or travelled light.

We flew United out of SFO a few days ago, and they were really watching every passenger as we boarded. I saw multiple passengers be called out for having too much stuff, including a couple of First Class people! That surprised me, as I was figuring that they'd look the other way for the First Class and higher tier customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    We flew United out of SFO a few days ago, and they were really watching every passenger as we boarded. I saw multiple passengers be called out for having too much stuff, including a couple of First Class people! That surprised me, as I was figuring that they'd look the other way for the First Class and higher tier customers.
    Curious. I flew United out of SFO earlier this month, and didn't notice any changes in their enforcement (or lack of enforcement) of carryon rules. I did, however, notice that they have been moving over to use more 737-900's for their new planes, and that these seem to have less storage space relative to passengers. (Of course, that could also be because they've both decreased the space between seats in all rows -- even their Economy-Plus seating, and also limited the recline for the seats.) I don't mind the lack of in-flight-entertainment systems, but I had the impression that slightly more individuals than usual among the groups that boarded last ended up having to gate-check their bags when they couldn't find sufficient overhead storage space.

Perhaps the gate agents are being more vigilant based on the experience for these types of planes, to avoid boarding delays? (In some models of aircraft, there is more available storage space in first class, but I don't believe this is true in this model plane. Aisles are also relatively narrow.)

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0