Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree26Likes
  • 9 Post By Moose
  • 2 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By eWalker
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 3 Post By vivelly
  • 3 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By vivelly
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 2 Post By flaneuse
  • 1 Post By spindlitis
  • 1 Post By Moose

Thread: Synapse goes to the Fiber Frolic

Synapse goes to the Fiber Frolic

I went to the Maine Fiber Frolic today. It is an annual event sponsored by a group of Lama and Alpaca ranchers. It is held at the Windsor Fairgrounds in the booming little metropolis of Windsor Maine.

Name:  Synapse 1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  43.9 KB

Yeah, a new spindle had to come home with me. What was that I saying about clearing out again?
    Name:  Synapse & Spindle.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  26.3 KB

This is Clementine (on the left) she was smiling for her photo.
    Name:  Clementine.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  24.1 KB

Once again I apologize for the photo quality. I'm still working on it.
    Last edited by Moose; 06-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I love that green wool! Did you buy it at the Frolic to spin with your new spindle?

I finally conquered crochet today - gonna need more YSSs!
    Moose and eWalker like this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Hi scribe, yes, I will spin it up on my spindle, if it's not too heavy. If it is I'll just find a lighter one. I've got one or two to pick from. The color is pretty washed out in the photo, it is really nice. It is 50% mohair and 50% wool. I only got four ounces but that should be enough to make a scarf.

Congratulations on the crochet thing. Now you need to spin your own yarn to crochet.

What is a YSSs please?

Moose
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    What is a YSSs please?
    Yarn Stuff Sack

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Moose likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Thanks eWalker.

scribe, I prefer the all dyneema Yarn Stuff Sacks. One of each color would be so cool.
    eWalker likes this.

Love the pictures Moose! Scrumptious fibres and beautiful Alapacas and a smashing bag! I find spindles to be as addictive as TB bags..at least they dont take up that much space.

Crafts were the reason I discovered TB...I was on a lookout for a really good bag that I could take to spin ins, A and P shows, spinning clubs etc...so I started googling Knitting bags and came across TB....it should have ended right there with a Swift....but of course it didnt. Many bags later...my collection is growing....just as my spindles...

Vivelly, this one is a one ounce Hatchtown spindle. I only have ten or eleven. My collection is pretty small by most standards. I have one that is made from an old loom spindle, it's very primative and I love it.

The most primitive are often the best. I have one very simple one made by a NZ woodturner...its not muc to look at but it spins till the sun comes down. I am a big fan of the Ken Ledbetter spindles...I could collect them for the looks alone..
    Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Congratulations on the crochet thing. Now you need to spin your own yarn to crochet.
    Hmm, maybe not - I've been using knitting and crochet to procrastinate on my novel, so I definitely don't need another time-consuming hobby!

The nearest I get to spinning is that I rewind all my bought skeins into centre-pull balls on a nostepinne, as it makes them much easier to use in a stuff sack. It's nothing fancy, just hand-turned wood* from Wales, but so much nicer than a plastic mechanical winder - and it tucks away in the bottom of my Swift when not in use.

* Probably poplar, judging by the grey streaks in the grain and the light weight, which makes it easy to handle
    Last edited by scribe; 06-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Moose likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I thought it was a Hatchtown! Those are my favorite high whorls. Did you get to meet Jim or Pam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looove! Lucky you! I miss going to fiber festivals and enjoying the atmosphere/vendors, so glad you got to enjoy! That spindle is lovely! I'm going to have to check out Hatchtown.

Early planning, but is anyone up for a 2015 MDSW TB meetup? I am going next year no matter what! I went in 2010 and it was such a great weekend. My friends all went this year and had a blast, so for me it is 2015 or BUST.

Eta...I am debating going to the Shenandoah valley fiber festival in Sept too...it mostly depends on my Dh's work sched and my son's school...and if I am up for traveling with three alone again.
    Moose and vivelly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spindlitis View Post
    I thought it was a Hatchtown! Those are my favorite high whorls. Did you get to meet Jim or Pam?

Not that they'd remember but I've met them a few times at MDSWF. Pam was at Fiber Frolic but she was really busy so no time for a chat.

They were out at Black Sheep one year, but I didn't make contact with them then.

Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post

Early planning, but is anyone up for a 2015 MDSW TB meetup? I am going next year no matter what! I went in 2010 and it was such a great weekend. My friends all went this year and had a blast, so for me it is 2015 or Bust.
    Flaneuse, I didn't get ti MDSWF this year but would consider 2015. It really depends on work stuff.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0