Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By trailmix
  • 2 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By MtnMan

Thread: EDC first aid (kinda)

EDC first aid (kinda)

I would like to bounce a scenario off of Tom Bihn forum users and see if they would suggest a solution.

My scenario is not a First Aid kit per se, but it is desirable to carry two very small, durable, ultra-portable containers in an EDC (Every Day Carry) solution (could be a backpack, or briefcase or other shoulder luggage). Needed items for carry: (1 - a small, replenishable container of hydrogen peroxide, perferably with a pour-in cap to make dispensing very small quantities practical without a mess; (2 - a small, replenishable container of Q-tips to apply the peroxide as needed.

I would like to know if there is a practical way to carry these two items together in highly durable yet highly portable and lightweight containers so that they can be used together while on-the-road, at work, on recreational excursions, etc. Is there a useful way to keep them together and easily accessible? What kind of containers would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I would get a small nalgene bottle for the peroxide. You can find those that will hold less than teaspoon to quart+. I find mine at REI, Amazon and so on. You can find Q-tip travel packages at just about any drug store, Walmart or similar type store. If all else fails put some in a snack size ziplock bag. You could get small (1.5X2) zip top bags at a craft store and cut the Q-tips in half if you want a smaller package.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 05-31-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Hmmm... I'm wondering if a small organizer pouch might do the trick for the Q-Tips.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

yes, nalgene for the bottle and this is the best thing that i have ever found for carrying q-tips

Name:  minis.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  91.7 KB

plus you have to eat the M&Ms to be able to use the tube. yes, i said have to eat them. haha

i can get about 20 q-tips packed in to one.

I thought hydrogen peroxide was discouraged as a first aid treatment these days? But, if you prefer it, what about Nalgene containers? A short one for the HP and a taller wide-mouth one for the Q-tips, or you could cut the Q-tips in half so they fit in the shorter container.

ETA: Oops, Moose - and everyone else - was faster than I was!

Attachment 6461

This is what I had in mind. This is a mini pouch, 3X4+/-. It was the most recent free gift from TB.
    Moose

Sorry for the crummy photo, I need to get better with my phone camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose; 05-31-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    yes, nalgene for the bottle and this is the best thing that i have ever found for carrying q-tips

Name:  minis.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  91.7 KB

plus you have to eat the M&Ms to be able to use the tube. yes, i said have to eat them. haha

i can get about 20 q-tips packed in to one.
    Dreadful, simply dreadful, having to eat the M&Ms. I don't think I could ever manage that.

What about remoistened alcohol wipes instead of the H2O2?

edit: I meant PREmoistened!

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    What about remoistened alcohol wipes instead of the H2O2?

edit: I meant PREmoistened!
    Seems that would be easier unless it is an in the ear issue or open wound, ouch. I carry three or four 1X1 alcohol wipes in my FAK. They can help with overheating. Don't want to use them for that too often but in a pinch they do feel pretty good. Great for hand cleaning in a pinch too.

[QUOTE=haraya;66738]I thought hydrogen peroxide was discouraged as a first aid treatment these days?

h2o2 and Q Tips sounds like an ear remedy to me. I don't do it a lot, but I love to hear it bubbling away I hope it's safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Attachment 6461

This is what I had in mind. This is a mini pouch, 3X4+/-. It was the most recent free gift from TB.
    Moose

Sorry for the crummy photo, I need to get better with my phone camera.
    Your photo did the job. No complaints here. Thanks!
    Moose likes this.

Great suggestions, folks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0