• 1 Post By haraya
  • 2 Post By trailmix
  • 2 Post By backpack
  • 6 Post By Melissa
  • 1 Post By trailmix
  • 1 Post By luvdabags

Thread: Safety lanyards?

Safety lanyards?

Since Bihnions are very practical and have exacting standards for gear, I thought I'd throw out this question - where would I go for safety lanyards? Something with a reliable breakaway feature.

The reason I'm looking is that for our summer trip, I'm thinking of giving the kids each a lanyard, with a TB whistle and a small light (Photon Micro). I'm thinking it would be handy for when we are actually in transit (e.g. on the plane) in case of emergency, or in case we get separated. They could wear it under a midlayer or hitched around a belt loop and pocketed, to avoid getting snagged. Otherwise they can keep it in their Travel Tray - I am planning to assign one to each member of the family.

(I wonder if it would be odd to carry a pitch pipe? How big is that? I seem to recall there were villages in Spain that had a set of coded whistles, for communicating between mountaintops. I've tried teaching my kids to respond to the sound of the Star Trek bosun's call, but they ignore that, as they do all my signals that it's time to leave. ;P)
    Hollie likes this.

use whatever cord you like (can get colorful stuff at outdoorsy stores) and tie half of a double fisherman's knot (basically a double overhand) to form the cord into a loop. if you just do one side, it will hold the other end just fine but allow it to pull through should it get hung on something. make sure the melted end of the non-knotted side does not bulge out so that it can slide easily through the knot should it need to.

Double Fisherman's Bend | How to tie a Double Fisherman's, or Grapevine, Bend | Climbing Knots
    terayon and haraya like this.

I use the Shoulder Strap, the one that comes as an accessory with the SE and 3D Cubes.

It can be lengthened to use as a very long Key Strap secured to my EDC on one side and, on the other side, a key ring to secure a Small Pouch that holds electronic public transport scanning cards .

Or shortened to be doubled and worn around my neck, both hooks clipped to a Double Carabiner to secure TB light and whistle, a Small Pouch for my mobile phone and keys.

I have a brand new Small Pouch, a Double Carabiner and an extra Shoulder Strap ready for the long awaited scanning card for the local public transport system, but they just installed the new scan enabling fare boxes on the old and polluting buses and are allegedly "testing" the new cards this summer. I hope to get one of the "test card"

The Shoulder Strap is versatile strong and kind of a neutral, extra long, black key strap with the ability to be shortened and lengthened due to the adjustable buckle.
    Moose and haraya like this.

How old are your kids? I had boys; there was no way I could ever trust them with whistles! Don't get me wrong....I love both my boys dearly, but as small children, I could never give them anything that resembled a toy and made noise. By the time they were old enough to have been responsible with a whistle, they were just "too cool" to need one. Heck, I couldn't even give them a flashlight without them pulling it apart to see how it worked. Mind you, some of their inventions that they made from parts of things they pulled apart were pretty impressive. My oldest son some how made an automatic electronic self-loading paint gun from various power tools in hubby's garage and my younger son pulled a apart a leaf blower and made a hover platform that actually worked with a 140-lb kid standing on it.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Thanks all for the ideas!!

trailmix I will have to practice those. Have been thinking of doing the paracord pulls anyway, perhaps this will be the motivation I need.

backpack I have a Shoulder Strap for my 3DCOC, will try that for myself. Good repurposing! (But was hoping for something with the breakaway feature for use with the kids.)

Melissa they are 6 and 10. Actually their backpacks have whistles on the sternum straps, and after the first time I showed them the whistle they have been very good about not blowing them except in emergencies (actually have not needed them yet, knock wood ). Even if we just do the light on a lanyard and forego the whistles, I think it's still handy to have that extra bit of "insurance". We'll be in earthquake country, after all.

(also, wow - amazing inventors, your boys!! I hope my kids will get there. DD has very good 3D spatial visualization skills, and DS loves his Legos. We have a lot of building toys, and I've started having DD put together IKEA things on her own.)
    Last edited by haraya; 05-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.

The only thing I can think of that is truly "break away" are cat collars. There must be a way to put all the pieces together to make it work.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

The breakaway feature can be achieved using the Whistle Sternum Strap Half - Add a whistle to our backpacks or travel bags. Made in USA. - TOM BIHN

Then go to the part Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN page and order The Sternum Strap Assembly.

Use only one half to secure to the other half which is the Safety Whistle. The black half has space to thread either a removable cat collar or an easy but strong slip out knot made of paracord or shoe lace or ribbon.

You can color code for each family member.

I forgot to ask which whistle you were using the Tri-Power Safety Whistle - Worlds Foremost Advanced Multi-Purpose Safety Whistle - TOM BIHN or the one I mentioned above.

So to modify yours, use a self freeing cat collar instead of the Double Carabiner, use the tag d-ring secure the Shoulder Strap Snaphooks
    Last edited by backpack; 05-31-2014 at 12:08 PM.

haraya likes this.

Melissa--please tell me you have a pic of the paintball gun and hover machine to share??!!
    haraya likes this.

I am trying to picture this. I ordered the TriWhistle (the kids' packs already have sternum strap whistles, but I am looking for a solution they can wear even when they don't have their packs on them). Maybe I need to go to the pet store and look at the cat collars. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The breakaway feature can be achieved using the Whistle Sternum Strap Half - Add a whistle to our backpacks or travel bags. Made in USA. - TOM BIHN

Then go to the part Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN page and order The Sternum Strap Assembly.

Use only one half to secure to the other half which is the Safety Whistle. The black half has space to thread either a removable cat collar or an easy but strong slip out knot made of paracord or shoe lace or ribbon.

You can color code for each family member.

I forgot to ask which whistle you were using the Tri-Power Safety Whistle - Worlds Foremost Advanced Multi-Purpose Safety Whistle - TOM BIHN or the one I mentioned above.

So to modify yours, use a self freeing cat collar instead of the Double Carabiner, use the tag d-ring secure the Shoulder Strap Snaphooks

Trailmix - that looks like the thing I need! Now to see if someone makes them already finished...

ETA: I don't know why I didn't just look at Etsy in the first place. Now to decide if I want fabric or paracord...

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    Last edited by haraya; 05-31-2014 at 01:51 PM.

glad to help. "breakaway lanyard" seems to be the most fruitful search phrasing.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0