Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank II
  • 6 Post By Ilkyway
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Mp3 Player

Mp3 Player

I have one of the earlier versions of the Ipod Touch and the battery is starting to go.

I'm looking to replace it with a decent mp3 player that is not made by Apple. (I'm tired of going through Itunes)

The mp3 player I''m looking for will have the following:

1) a SD/micro SD card slot so I can easily add audio to the player and expand its capacity.

2) The ability to play chapters automatically. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and audio drama that is chapterized. The player I want will be able to automatically go to the next chapter without me having to do anything.

3) A radio, or wifi would be nice but not necessary.

4) Easily set up. No need to use third party software to set up.

Any suggestions or does Apple now control the market?
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

With MP3-Player at the moment there is a big problem: All the smartphones made the maket for dedicated MP3 real small. There are some around good for sports because small (for example SanDisk Sansa Clip) but they have no good UI. And this one especially has no bookmark function (maybe rockboxed but I did not do that so I cant tell) and with Audiobooks I need bookmarks.
    But now there is a new kind of DAPs on its way. They are ridiculously expensive because they are for high res Audio and only real fans of that buy them (for example iRiver Astell&Kern AK240) But this means maybe a new kind of MP3-Players (DAPs) are about to come.

Sony did an interesting one though it has no SD-Slot (Sony till now does not do with something that convenient) BUT it has a capacity of 128 GB is android-based (4.2) and has a really good sound and very decent battery-life. The Sony NWZ-ZX1 is my current player. I have now 146 books on it maybe 10 Albums of music and it is about half full (my audiobooks are between 6 and 40 hours long).
    Before that I used the Covon J3, it has a Micro-SD-Slot but it has a file-limit 8000 per storage (8000 on the internal 32 GB and 8000 on the Micro-SD Cart so a total of 16000 Folders count). For me this was an issue because with 32 GB I reach the file-limit before I reach the storage limit. And the UI is painfully ugly BUT it has great sound, you have Bookmarks and it has loooong battery-live. I liked it a lot but when the Sony came out I was emidatly in love. It is beautiful, can hold more books (128 GB without file-limit) I can feed it directly (as you can the covon but I had an Ipod touch before that).

So my vote goes for the Covon J3 with the above mentioned problems if you can get one or the Sony ZX1 if you are willing to pay that. If you do not have high-res audiophiles you wount miss the SD-Slot because it is HUGE.

If you find something even better, pleas tell because Audiobooks, and therefore MP3-Player are important in my live and I am always on the lookout for THE Player.

Ilkyway

PS: the J3 has radio.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Ilkyway I deleted the post I was composing, because I don't think I can improve on your very complete description and answer to @Frank II. Instead, I'll just mention an aside to the original topic: in case you are not already aware of this, since you are an audiobook listener, there is a program that has been run at the SYNC YA site each summer since 2010 that makes available free audiobook downloads. This is a combined effort sponsored by Audiofile Magazine and various participating publishers to encourage reading (via audiobooks) among young adults. Each week while the program runs, two free books are offered for download for a 1 week period. They pair a classical audiobook with a contemporary audiobook of similar theme.

This summer's program runs from May 15 - Aug 20, 2014, and they just released the third week's books about the time this thread went up. Because this is a U.S. based program, there are some restrictions on availability of some titles, but most of the titles (18 of 26) are available internationally, and you can check the international availability status of releases in advance.

Here's a list of the Summer 2014 SYNC YA titles and schedule. Titles offered in previous years can be viewed here.

moriond

ETA: While you need to install the OverDrive Media Console, which is a free program, before you can download the audiobooks, the files are just mp3 files that you can move or reorganize as you wish -- you don't need to play them under OverDrive.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-29-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    That's a good idea, but it doesn't answer some of the questions @Frank II had about the user interface that @Ilkyway spoke of. For example, I was going to suggest that he get a SanDisk Sansa and use Rockbox as one of the options, which is a reasonable player for inexpensive and portable use. Also, for audiobook-specific use, some older model devices actually had better features and support. Another thing that has been annoying is that iTunes support of audiobook listening features has been progressively degrading in later versions of iOS with regard to bookmarking, etc. especially with the combination of iTunes 11+iOS 7, though things still work for older model iPod Nanos. (Some people who are serious about prioritizing audiobook listening will simply not upgrade past iTunes 10).
    Ilkyway likes this.

That why I suggested to read the reviews for more details. You can find most device user manuals online too, read those and see if they have the features you want.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Ilkyway I deleted the post I was composing, because I don't think I can improve on your very complete description and answer to @Frank II.
    moriond that is quite a compliment coming from you. Thank you for that. And many many more thanks for making me aware of SYNC YA. That is quite a gift for an audio book-worm like me.

Thanks again!
    Ilkyway

Thanks for everyone.

@llkway.....thanks for the suggestions but both are way out of my price range.

I turned off as much as I could on my Ipod Touch and hope that will let the battery last longer than I thought. At least until I can get a new smartphone.

@moriond....why is it that some "improvements" aren't really improvements at all? In fact, some go backwards.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Frank II maybe than the SanDisk Sansa Clip is a way to go than. It is a decent player with good sound and moriond said with rockbox you can have bookmarks. It has battery-live for about 8 hours maybe a little less so if you hear a lot you had to put it to a charger every night but it charges with a commen micro USB-Cable and it even has radio, I forgot to mention it because I do not use radio on a mp3-Player.

I think for an inexpensive player it is the best choice out there at this moment. I did not have the pations (I cant figure out how to wright this one, hope it is understandable anyway)for rockboxing it though. So mine is sitting in a drawer waiting for emergency.

I do not want to pull you away from your Ipod but I thought I give you this additional informations to just think about.

Ilkyway

Earlier this year I bought the Sansa Clip. I hated the Sansa Clip. I returned the Sansa Clip.

I think I'm stuck with the Ipod Touch for awhile until I get a new smartphone.

Maybe just replace the battery in the iPod Touch? Yes, iTunes can be annoying but it works.
    --------------------------------

I'm sure pawn shops have plenty of old phones if you just want to use one for music.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0