Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Klean Kanteen

Klean Kanteen

I hope this topic is OK to post here...I often read on this thread that people are using Klean Kanteen bottles. Because I so blindly trust the taste of you guys here I ordered a bottle for each of the family. I quite like the look and simplicity and the versatility of the caps etc..and of course the use of non toxic materials.
    Which is the reason I post this here. AFTER I placed my order I did some research and found out that all stainless steel bottles in the world are made in China (bad...I dont trust anything out of China) and that even high grade steel from China is not to be trusted and that they are notorious for using asbestos, radioactive particles, lead and God knows what other toxins in their steel bottles.
    Klean Kanteen assures buyers that they bottles are safe but after reading this

Digging to China and Back: The Search for a Good Water Bottle | canarypapers

I am not so sure about my choice anymore.
    I also use Lifefactory Glass bottles but found them often too heavy for the kids and they do not slide easily in and out of backpacks due to the silicone sleeve. I still use it a lot in the car and around the house but thought a stainless steel bottle would be lighter and easier especially for the kids.
    Am I suffering from paranoia? What do you guys think about this?
    At the end of the day we use steel for cooking and so many other things too....and I love the look of the Klean Kanteen.....?

Over the years, I've read that quality can vary drastically in China. I think Klean Kanteen has pretty good write up on their website and I don't have any concerns
    Klean Kanteen: Responsibly and Ethically Manufactured in China
    vivelly likes this.

I never felt comfortable with the coatings they use in their bottles. Could be okay for 20 years or more but I'd prefer something that I know to never go bad, like glass or stainless steel that isn't misused. Right now I use an Under Armour 24 Ounce Vacuum insulated Stainless Steel Thermos mug from Academy, keeps ice for 24 hours, keeps coffee warm half a day, wide mouth (once you screw the top off) to put ice cubes in, and has a lockable flip lid. It has a finger carry loop you can add a carabiner to if you want, and an easy to grip silicone sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I never felt comfortable with the coatings they use in their bottles. Could be okay for 20 years or more but I'd prefer something that I know to never go bad, like glass or stainless steel that isn't misused. Right now I use an Under Armour 24 Ounce Vacuum insulated Stainless Steel Thermos mug from Academy, keeps ice for 24 hours, keeps coffee warm half a day, wide mouth (once you screw the top off) to put ice cubes in, and has a lockable flip lid. It has a finger carry loop you can add a carabiner to if you want, and an easy to grip silicone sleeve.
    Fwiw, Sigg has aluminum bottles with coatings. Kleen Kanteen is straight up stainless steel on the inside and outside.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Gee
    Vivelly, I can't help on the bottles but thought I should let you know that Made in China isn't what it once was, they really can make any quality which the client wants there. The biggest problem is that a company offshores a product they were making in the USA, Aus or NZ for $12 and is offered it for $3. They search for a supplier to make it for $2, rather than doubling the quality or services of their product and get it made for $5. Offshoring works better if they have their own quality control in the factory. Many large firms are making products in China and you only notice if you read the manual. Millions of people worldwide trust Iphones for their daily communication, they seem similar quality and reliability to most smartphones. The Iphone is made in China. That said there are unscrupulous practices but usually not from bigger manufacturers with their own quality control.

If I recall correctly, some of the recalls for stainless steel bottles were because of the shape of the opening - the narrow-mouth bottles had sharp edges, and some kids got their tongues stuck in the opening.

Recall due to shape of bottle

Recall of Sigg *aluminum* bottles because of traces of BPA in the liners

My whole family uses Klean Kanteen, including the insulated travel mugs. I bought them specifically because they were not made of plastic and did not have an interior coating. While it's hard to be sure of anything these days, I've read up on the company and feel pretty comfortable using their products.

I hope you can find something that you will feel comfortable using.
    Last edited by haraya; 05-28-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks guys...I guess one can get too paranoid about everything these days. Klean Kanteen has a good reputation and hopefully they wouldnt want to risk it by being slack with qualtiy control.
    I think its still a better solution to plastic, because most of the toxins in plastic havent been dealt with yet (only BPA)

If Glas bottles werent just soo heavy to carry around.
    Ilkyway likes this.

If you are looking for a stainless bottle, consider Liberty Bottleworks. Their bottles are stainless and made in the USA but feel like they have a coating or enamel of some sort. I believe this is the brand TB uses for their personalized bottles. I have a couple of these bottles and they are good; however, they must be sealed well in order not to leak, and even so I wouldn't let them hang out upside down for any length of time.

While I try to use safe materials when possible, I am a bit cynical about these factories and bottles. "No BPA" for example just means another bisphenol may be substituted, and we are exposed to chemicals all the time through multiple sources - not that this is good or acceptable, and I totally get the wish to minimize harmful chemical exposure, but I think we have to pick our battles. If you find a bottle you like, let us know! I am always eager to try out a new water bottle.

This was posted in a discussion/review forum on Amazon, thought in case someone interested I share:

Thanks for your interest and support of Klean Kanteen!

Some stainless steel is magnetic while others are not. There are a few main categories of stainless steel that exist: Austenitic, Ferritic, and Martensitic. The most common type is Austenitic, which makes up nearly 70% of all stainless steel production, and this type contains the 300 series stainless that we use.

Our Klean Kanteens are made of #304 stainless steel, the most common grade of stainless that exists. It has an 18:8 ratio, which is 18% Chromium to 8% nickel. The #304 stainless is the material of choice for the food processing, dairy and brewing industries. The Klean Kanteen has no inner lining to worry about, it is made of a single layer of stainless steel. All grades of stainless steel in the 300 series contain chromium and nickel, the difference is the ratio. Typically it is the chromium and nickel content that make stainless steel non reactive to magnets.

Some of our bottles are magnetic while others are not. This all depends on the work that is done to the steel itself during manufacturing. We use a process called cold forming in the capping of the bottom of our bottles, the bending of the steel to form the bottle neck, and in the forming of the stainless caps. During this cold forming process, some of our bottles do become magnetic in these areas (bottom, neck and vertical seam) but can be magnetic overall.

All austenitic grades typically have very low magnetic traceability and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the hardened/cooled condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade #304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet. This does not changed the elemental make-up stainless steel, it is just a result of stress and pressure exerted on the stainless steel.

Check out this link, it explains the cold forming process and why they become magnetic.

Stainless Steel - Magnetic Properties

The magnetism does not change the chemical composition of the stainless steel.

As stated on our website, we do periodic lab tests on our Kanteens through a 3rd party domestic lab to ensure that there are no hazardous substances involved with the Klean Kanteen. We have them tested in New Jersey by EMSL by their Materials Science Division. They test the Elemental Composition of Metal. All of the tests have come back with great results. We test for any trace amounts of lead, and the leaching of chromium, nickel, and manganese, etc. Stainless steel does not leach.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope that helped to explain it, I understand most of us are not familiar with metallurgy, but I hope the information on the link and in this email was helpful.
    Thank you,

Emily Smith
    Customer Service Supervisor

Go Stanford, you are so right. We have to pick our battles....we are just living in a more or less toxic environment and almost everything is now hazardous of some sort. The water out of the tap is probably more of a worry than the water bottle....
    I think I stick with the Klean Kanteen for now....and drink out of glas as much as I can.

Wow what a topic! I changed all the bottles in our home (for 5 persons) a year ago from naglene to Kleen Kanteen because I found reports that said Nalgene might still be (even if BPA free) toxic. I was so fed up with plastic that I through it all out and bougth these Stainles Steel. I was concurened about the "maid in Chaina" but I believed/still believe the company that they are trying to do it in a good way.
    I did read up on all the bottles: no aluminum for us (because of the coting), no more plastic because after a while there is always something bad to be revealed about plastic, Glas? havy and not save with chirldren. Ergo stainless steel. We do so much try to cut down on producing waste and intoxicating us via food/drink. It makes me so sade that there are so few responsibly working companies out there. They all have to live in this same world. How can they put money above health and environment?

vivelly I will go on using the Klean Kanteens but it bugs me, that I do not feel as good about it anymore. Even so: thank you for bringing my attention to it because I'd rather know/try to know than turn a blind eye and hope for the best.

Ilkyway
    vivelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    If you are looking for a stainless bottle, consider Liberty Bottleworks. Their bottles are stainless and made in the USA but feel like they have a coating or enamel of some sort.
    After this I did read up on this bottles again: I can olny find that they are made from aluminium and they have a coting (which is required with aluminium). After using Sigg some 10 years ago I am done with coted bottles and aluminum takes up LOTS of energy to work. I have no personal experience with these bottles but alu + coting = not for me. So if I misunderstood something here, please corect me because I would love to by products NOT made in China.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    If you are looking for a stainless bottle, consider Liberty Bottleworks. Their bottles are stainless and made in the USA but feel like they have a coating or enamel of some sort. I believe this is the brand TB uses for their personalized bottles. I have a couple of these bottles and they are good; however, they must be sealed well in order not to leak, and even so I wouldn't let them hang out upside down for any length of time.
    Looking on their site, Liberty Bottleworks says they use aluminum and it has a coating. It isn't stainless steel unless there is a stainless version I don't see?

Gee
    Vivelly, thank you for starting this thread, have just researched Klean Kanteen and have decided to buy a few bottles for daily use. Have just looked at the dealers and realised 3 different friends of mine are dealers and one within 800 metres of home. I had been replacing Sigg bottles whenever they dent and moving to occasional or fuel use, this is a much better solution. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention
    vivelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    After this I did read up on this bottles again: I can olny find that they are made from aluminium and they have a coting (which is required with aluminium). After using Sigg some 10 years ago I am done with coted bottles and aluminum takes up LOTS of energy to work. I have no personal experience with these bottles but alu + coting = not for me. So if I misunderstood something here, please corect me because I would love to by products NOT made in China.

Ilkyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    Looking on their site, Liberty Bottleworks says they use aluminum and it has a coating. It isn't stainless steel unless there is a stainless version I don't see?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Vivelly, thank you for starting this thread, have just researched Klean Kanteen and have decided to buy a few bottles for daily use. Have just looked at the dealers and realised 3 different friends of mine are dealers and one within 800 metres of home. I had been replacing Sigg bottles whenever they dent and moving to occasional or fuel use, this is a much better solution. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention
    My mistake then...thank you for checking and posting about it! That explains the coating feeling on the Liberty bottles.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0