Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Klean Kanteen

taminca thanks for finding and posting this. I so much wonder what it is about stainless steel that it can only be manufactured in China.
    taminca likes this.

Actually a lot of stainless products such as lunch boxes and plates are made in India. I have not seen stainless water bottles from India though. Many families use stainless as their everyday dishes in India. Wish I knew more about the manufacturing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Vivelly I have but when I went to get them at 2 local shops today they had the 27oz size and am after 40oz. Refereing to your comment above the more liquid the better, it is the start of winter here but has been a little warmer than usual, about 25C or 77F, enough that you are thirsty exercising. I wont use these for travel, just use disposable plastic as have seen too many nice bottles tossed at security (or go away to be emptied), sometimes in the most unlikely checkpoints. Saw a stack at Siem Reap Airport in Cambodia, who would have guessed they would be so firm on liquid limits
    The bottles just have to be empty, if you take them through security with any liquid, they will tell you to get out of line or toss it. Many people in a hurry just seem to toss them. We take our Klean Kanteens on the airplane all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Sorry, Toblerhaus, but from the link you provided, I went to their FAQs and found this about where their products are made: "Our only product that is not manufactured domestically is our Stainless Steel Half Twist™ Thermaluxe™ bottle. Due to financial infeasibility with stateside manufacturers, the stainless steel bottles are responsibly manufactured in China."
    Bummer! The *one* bottle they have that I'd want is the one made in China. Sigh.
    eWalker likes this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    taminca thanks for finding and posting this. I so much wonder what it is about stainless steel that it can only be manufactured in China.
    There are steel manufactures in the U.S and the E.U, however, China is the biggest manufacturer, it started recycling scrap metal from Europe and the U.S from the late 70's to the mid-90's when a lot of production shifted there.

Data below taken from Wikipedia search for "steel manufacturing,"

"As of 2013 China produced 779 million metric tons of steel each year, making it by far the largest steel producing country in the world. This is compared to 165 for the European Union, 110 for Japan, 87 for the United States and 81 for India."

I used to work for a company in Germany who were constructing steel industial halls. It was always known that chinese steel is inferior ...I dont know if that is still the case, but I guess so (I just have a deep distrust to made in China)...
    We used to have a great steel mesh producing industry here in NZ which was great for me having Angora rabbits, the steel was thick, strong and sturdy for hutches.
    That is now history...production closed and based in China and all you can get now is cheap nasty cheese cutting wire that breaks quickly...not good for my bunnies.

I hope that the high end products are really "responsibly made"...especially when it concerns your health like with drinking bottles etc. As Ilkyway said (I think it was you Ilkyway?) Iphones are made in China too...and so are many other products..Icebreaker? Bose? and all the other high end electronics..they can produce good qualtity I guess (I hope) lets hope it is the case with Klean kanteen and all the other better bottles.

This is what came back from the customer service I contacted about my worries about the steel in klean kanteens:

Hi Kerstin,
    Actually most stainless steel these days either comes from China or India. All of the stainless steel products we sell are manufactured by companies that keep a tight rein on the production to avoid the issues that you read about with stainless steel out of China. I hope that helps.
    Kind regards,

We can only hope that this is correct...would love to have an undercover investigation in this. :-)

Without trying to be racist (which really I am not) its crazy...Chinese government is buying all of our milk industry in NZ, our cattle and our swamp Kauri wood and everything else that is of value and we are stuck with buying made in China. Its a crazy world out there where MONEY alone rules. No regards for environment and health and well being of our planet and people and animals. I am not a tree hugger (or maybe I am, I love trees) but we are so wrong in the way we run this world....

Gee
    Vivelly, big thanks for the tip on the Klean Kanteens, picked up 4 of them today and seem great so far, no taste and I feel mentally better about them
    vivelly likes this.

Glad to hear Gee! I really like them too...they are easy to clean too..and I like the option of different caps. Mine came today, just in time for the long weekend. 3x 800ml and 1x 1.100 ml (or abouts) and one insulated one to take my morning coffee with me.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    ... but their mouths are too small to get most ice cubes in.
    I do not know about American ice cubes. But ours fit just fine and I never thought of them as small. I do like the not so narrow mouths of the Kleen Kantens because I can see whats in there, can see if they are clean and can put the affor mentioned ice cubes in there. And I am talking about the "narrow mouth" ones here. For RELAY big ice cubes they have wide mouth ones as well. And as an afterthought the insulated ones have whide mouthes obviously and might be even a better choice for icy cold drinks because than the bottle wont get wet from the "cold sweat".

vivelly I too would love someone to undercover investigate the factories. I hate this kind of uncertainty where the health of my family is at stake. But now I wonder: where is stainless steel cuttlery manufactured? If it comes from China too there is nothing much left as hope for the best, isn't there?
    vivelly likes this.

Thats right Ilkyway...and frying pans and cooking pots and mixing bowls...I went to a household ware shop today and saw a lot of steel. :-( They even make jewellery now out of steel.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Ha I did not even think of this all... okey I do not know how to cope so I'll jump into optimistic-mode here and hope for the best. One question might be: what is worse? The plastic-poisen or what ever can come out of bad made stainless steel (to be honest I have not understood the details there). And for the record: I am no tree-hugger ether even so we produce our cattle organically (Bio it is in German). I just do not put my head in the ground and hope for the best and I have two cencer-losses in the family. (And part of me hates that I feel like explaining why I want to have healthy food/containers/environment etc. Why can there be even a question-mark there? Why is not everybody concerned with this? Okey shugar-rush again, sorry ;-))

Too right...Thing is once you start researching you really get worried and you wonder why this is happening. Shouldnt everyone have the welfare of the user in mind when producing something?
    Here in NZ it was recently reported that topdressing that was so popular a few years back has contamidated the soil with high levels of cadmium and that vegetables tested randomly showed a high cadmium content.
    Now we cant even eat vegetables any more....At some point I guess you just have to make your choices as best as you can and the rest is in the hands of whoever is in charge of that....I guess we have to die of something...

Oh and to everyone thanking me to bringing up the Klean Kanteen...it didnt come from me, I just took the advice of all the people here mentioning using them and the people here have excellent taste! :-)
    Ilkyway likes this.

Too right...Thing is once you start researching you really get worried and you wonder why this is happening. Shouldnt everyone have the welfare of the user in mind when producing something?
    Here in NZ it was recently reported that topdressing that was so popular a few years back has contamidated the soil with high levels of cadmium and that vegetables tested randomly showed a high cadmium content.
    Now we cant even eat vegetables any more....At some point I guess you just have to make your choices as best as you can and the rest is in the hands of whoever is in charge of that....I guess we have to die of something...

Oh and to everyone thanking me for bringing up the Klean Kanteen...it didnt come from me, I just took the advice of all the people here mentioning using them and the people here have excellent taste! :-)

ops...I dont know why it posted twice...

Just as an afterthought...I christened both the Klean Kanteens and my Synapse 25 this weekend. People probably think me crazy, but I went to our biggest National Rabbit Show. And the synapse is perfect as always! And so are the Kanteens! Took 2 800 ml in the water bottle pocket and to avoid rubbing on each other and scratching the paint I put one into a stuffsack.
    they were brilliant! Really loved them.
    And the Synapse hold food, water, keys, phone and all the other small stuff, extra jacket and all my grooming gear (I exhibit Angora rabbits) all neatly packed in stuff sacks. Because this is an important show of the year and I am always headless and nervous trying to find everything in a rush..I was much more relaxed this time. Shame I forgot to make picture of the bag at the show though...:-)
    And it is also my lucky bag! Because (now I am bragging) I won Best in Show! :-) Thanks Tom Bihn for getting me through this day in an organised and calm manner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0