Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Cleaning up and clearing out your space, what have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    Now, to just stick to being able to keep it this way. That's the hard part.
    I'm obsessive about keeping my closet clutter free, but other areas that I tend to forget like the pantry, under the sink storage, and linen closet I put on my monthly cleaning list. I take fifteen minutes to a half hour once a month straightening up, tossing out, and relocating what doesn't belong in these areas. Once a month is often enough (for me) for the area not to get too out of control, yet I'm not worrying day to day about keeping my system in proper working order.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Wow! Her personality totally shines through. And I love that she's eight and already identifies as a musician.

I hope someday to get to this stage with my almost-10-y.o. Right now she's in a stage where everything is up for debate, even the day-to-day basics - I'm not sure we'd survive a reorg of her room!
    We are working on my 10 year old son's room next, and it will be painful. He is sentimental about *everything*! It a huge deal that he agree to make changes, in fact. I am certain the process of clearing stuff out will be painful at times with my son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Even with my efforts to keep my consumerist ways in check, it amazes me how much stuff accumulates so quickly. I could swear that the stuff is multiplying when I'm not looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    Even with my efforts to keep my consumerist ways in check, it amazes me how much stuff accumulates so quickly. I could swear that the stuff is multiplying
    This is for me one of the most frustrating aspects of cleaning out. No matter how much I remove, it doesn't look like a big difference. I would have to do a major clean out to even look like I made a dent. In that sense I agree with one of the books I read - start with an empty shelf/closet/space and add back in. Like moving into a clean hotel room - but the dilemma is where to put the stuff you are deciding to add back?!

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    This is for me one of the most frustrating aspects of cleaning out. No matter how much I remove, it doesn't look like a big difference. I would have to do a major clean out to even look like I made a dent. In that sense I agree with one of the books I read - start with an empty shelf/closet/space and add back in. Like moving into a clean hotel room - but the dilemma is where to put the stuff you are deciding to add back?!
    I suspect the trick is that you simply don't put everything back. You'll probably find plenty of weird things buried on shelves and in drawers and will be able to just send it out the door. I'm learning not to be concerned with "how much it cost" or "it was such a great deal" which are two concepts that have historically caused me hold on to things that I haven't used in ages. Like Toblerhaus, I'm actively trying to check my buying habits. I'm getting better but I definitely have moments of weakness (but TB bags aren't a weakness, right?).

I think no adding up stuff, is the key.

Besides Tom Bihn, a locally owned art store and a small vintage pen/office supply store which is closing its store front to do online only business.

I basically only buy food and other staples.

I need more long pants and a couple of more cardigans would be nice but most things are made in sweat shops settings where women's rights are trampled and sold in department stores where worker's rights are inexistant.

There is a privately owned fabric store with extensive inventory nearby and I need to hunt for a seamstress/tailor who is familiar with hard to fit individuals.

I wonder if any of you has experience with tailoring?

Sometimes while clearing out one finds lost things. I cleaned up a bookcase this weekend and found two felt balls I made for Finney the beautiful but evil cat. They'd been missing for, well, let's just say awhile.
    Last edited by Moose; 06-17-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    At the risk of adding to your digital clutter, the following title on Amazon for the Kindle has gone free today (only) in the U.S. store:
    Winning the Clutter War by Sandra Felton (was $5.99)

I didn't realize you could join a "ClutterBuddy" program, or that there were "Messies Anonymous" programs!

YMMV moriond
    Moose and eWalker like this.

moriond, clutter I can't see doesn't count. Thanks for the heads up.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Since several people (myself included) liked the pipe wardrobe rack eWalker posted, I thought I'd included this link - how to make a wardrobe rack from a ladder...
    DIY LADDER WARDROBE « a pair & a spare

Name:  14141678989_7cac76faa4_b.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  126.9 KB

Frank's advice is good. I wish i had kept a list when my husband and I moved to Barcelona for a year. We took two carry-ons and one 60l bag (total luggage for the two of us) and rented a furnished apartment. It had linens, all kitchen necessities. We never missed a single one of our possessions with the possible exception of our bicycles. I now look at all my books and stuff and really want to clear it all out. It's all a matter of finding the energy. I gave away at least a few suitcases full of clothes last year. I can probably clear out a few extra items, shoes, winter coats I no longer wear, and random bags.
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    Frank's advice is good. I wish i had kept a list when my husband and I moved to Barcelona for a year. We took two carry-ons and one 60l bag (total luggage for the two of us) and rented a furnished apartment. It had linens, all kitchen necessities. We never missed a single one of our possessions with the possible exception of our bicycles. I now look at all my books and stuff and really want to clear it all out. It's all a matter of finding the energy. I gave away at least a few suitcases full of clothes last year. I can probably clear out a few extra items, shoes, winter coats I no longer wear, and random bags.
    It is a funny thing...

It is so much easier to grab what is important and leave then corral what you don΄t need and get rid of it!

So I guess not adding is really the way to go!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Interesting timing. I went to my storage unit today to get some music related items--I've been trying to "learn" the guitar for years--and realized that I had not kept good records of where things were. I also had a a few more boxes than I wanted.

After having to open up most of the boxes I have looking for different things, I realized I needed to do another clear out. And then move things around to keep similar items together.

And there just might be some travel related items available as part of the clear out. I'll let you know.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

So this week I have been working on my dining room/kitchen space. Backstory: over the years, husband and I have managed to collect a LOT of serving sets/pottery/china/glasses, and kitchen-related items. Some of it was from our wedding ages ago, some from our own purchases, and a lot of hand me downs. When his grandmother died, we were given about 3 complete 12 piece place settings, plus some various silver, depression glass, Pyrex, FireWire, carnival glass, ect. it was overwhelming. It took me years to go through it and figure out what to keep, and I'm currently still working through some of the sliver stuff. So, this week, I decided to empty the three china hutches we have, move two, and pare down. We had three 8-12 sets of flatware, three (technically four, but I only use one set as display) of 8-12 place settings, a bunch of vintage Pyrex/Emile Henry bakeware/snap wear containers, measuring cups from every decade, latte bowls, crystal/glass wear for many beverages, and a bunch of serving pieces. When movers came they would actually NOTE to get more dish packs and would often spend a whole day just packing dishes. It. Was. Bad. (Don't worry, Mr F would always give the guys whatever they wanted from our liquor cabinet since it could never move with us. I swear that is the secret to getting your stuff from place to place, the world over.)

So yes, it was out of hand. I did have a plan though--I had decided beforehand that I wanted to start using the "good" stuff because life is short. I was tired of my favorite plates being decorative or in storage. I decided that I was going to donate one set of flatware, our oldest set that is missing a few pieces anyway, and actually use the sterling for our everyday. The backup stainless is if we have a large party, or if Mr Flaneuse wants to take it with his lunch. Then I went through the place settings. I paired our kid friendly plates down to a setting of 8, and moved our wedding china to another hutch that displays it and makes it more accessible. Then I went through most of the serving wear/storage containers. I love the snap wear so I am keeping it, but decided to see if I can live without the Pyrex, and use the Emile Henry bake wear in its place. I only use all the Pyrex on big cooking occasions like thanksgiving/Christmas, so I wrote out our typical menus and counted out how many baking/serving dishes I would need. Plus, I love how the EH looks, bakes and it cleans up so well. So it looks like I will donate all the Pyrex. The. I went through all the glass wear, and kept only the neutral sets, the crystal, and a couple specialized glass sets.

I'm still working through some of the serving pieces. Some from Mr. F's family are interesting, like a huge pressed aluminum lazy Susan that his grandmother used to serve antipasti. But I have no idea where to put it in my house so in the china hutch it goes. It's been a week since I did my organization and clean out though, and I love it. Using the nice plates and flat ware make me happy. It hasn't been any more work cleanup wise since we do not have a garbage disposal and our dishwasher is very small. Everything has a place, and it all looks good. I think I'll probably donate the unused stuff next week.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel • BB • S25 in black dyneema • S19 in black/iberian • LCB in steel parapack/iberian • CP in navy ballistic/solar • Swift in steel dyneema • LS in Aubergine • SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar • TTs • various pouches/key straps/YSSs • iPad mini cache • LSBs, SSBs • PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema • 360mm Quiver •

I wish I could see your Pyrex collection! That was a real interest of mine a few years ago and I enjoyed looking in antique stores and hunting for old patterns. Thanks for sharing - sounds like you have done a great job identifying what really gives you satisfaction and paring down the rest!
    dorayme likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0