Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Cleaning up and clearing out your space, what have you done?

@scribe....I'm guessing you have never heard of Barney Fife or you'd be laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    It's not the dressing table in that Wikipedia article, it's actually very like this one I just found online, but with only the top two drawers (with horizontal Utility-style handles) - the legs are longer to compensate.

It might be 1920s (the period given on the web page where I found the photo) rather than 1940s, but it's definitely early 20th century.

I think so - it's certainly battered enough, and it looks original in its construction. I bought it on ebay relatively cheap (under Ģ100, IIRC)
    If is something like this...

Name:  404px-Slant_top_desk.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  28.4 KB

I believe this goes by the name of Slant top desk in United States.

But since you said it only has the top drawers it may be known as Secretary desk.

Name:  Secretary-Desk-Roll-Top-Design.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  615.1 KB

Either way, they are both great desks! While the dressing table of the wikipedia article you pointed, would be very good for reading and writing (I like to put my readings in semi circle when I am studying!), those designs are great for immediate organization.

Please, when you have sometime, post a picture of it. Along with pens and journals, I love to see desk designs!

Congratulations on your lucky acquisition!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-30-2014 at 04:59 AM.
    Orders shipped! Waiting for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 arrival! ETA: August 29!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    @scribe....I'm guessing you have never heard of Barney Fife or you'd be laughing
    @Frank II This Barney Fife?

Name:  barney-fife.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  33.9 KB

The one and only...
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Ah, no - I don't think the Andy Griffith Show was shown over here.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I believe this goes by the name of Slant top desk in United States.

But since you said it only has the top drawers it may be known as Secretary desk.
    It's more like a cross between the two - it's very like the first one you showed, if you slid out the bottom drawer and cut away the sides and back around the bottom drawer to make the legs longer. Does that make sense? So, definitely a bureau/slant-top desk.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Please, when you have sometime post a picture of it. Along with pens and journals, I love to see desk designs!

Congratulations on your lucky acquisition!
    Thanks! I'll see what I can do, but my study is very cramped (it's an old box room/nursery, only about 8' x 9' or so) so it's hard to get good pictures.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

It's more like a cross between the two - it's very like the first one you showed, if you slid out the bottom drawer and cut away the sides and back around the bottom drawer to make the legs longer. Does that make sense? So, definitely a bureau/slant-top desk.
    Like this but with a slant-top?
    Name:  628px-ButlersDesk.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  59.9 KB
    May be a very British Butlerīs desk?

Last edited by eWalker; 05-30-2014 at 05:49 AM.

More like the upper one in general conformation, but much less fancy! Also, only a single lock on the drop-front, as is usual with ordinary domestic bureaux.

To me, a bureau is any kind of desk with a drop-front as opposed to a permanent horizontal surface.
    Collections:

To me, a bureau is any kind of desk with a drop-front as opposed to a permanent horizontal surface.
    Got it! Thanks for the definition. It helped me a lot!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

@eWalker OK, here you go:

Name:  bureau.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.1 KB

As you can see it's a very simple, plain design, which is why I chose it - it doesn't look out-of-place amongst more modern items.
    Collections:

I wouldn't call this decluttering, but I cleaned out all of my skincare, hair care, and bath/body stuff today. I don't hoard any of this, but I do buy a lot of it in bulk online to save on price and shipping cost. I need to go back to the very basics with skincare in regards to the amount and types of ingredients used. Though my products are (mostly) natural, my skin and hair isn't responding to them as well as before.

I want to get my nail polish "collection" to 25. I started with 84 bottles and now I'm down to 37. Not where I want to be ultimately, but progress is progress.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I wouldn't call this decluttering, but I cleaned out all of my skincare, hair care, and bath/body stuff today. I don't hoard any of this, but I do buy a lot of it in bulk online to save on price and shipping cost. I need to go back to the very basics with skincare in regards to the amount and types of ingredients used. Though my products are (mostly) natural, my skin and hair isn't responding to them as well as before.
    That sucks - but we all change over the years. For me, Boots No.7 seems to work well, but maybe I'm biased since they originated in my home county

I want to get my nail polish "collection" to 25. I started with 84 bottles and now I'm down to 37. Not where I want to be ultimately, but progress is progress.
    *lol* I have a dreadful habit of buying nail varnish colours because I like them, even though my nails don't (or rather, they hate nail polish remover). I keep meaning to trim down my dozen or so bottles to the ones I actually wear, but...
    Collections:

I have a dreadful habit of buying nail varnish colours because I like them, even though my nails don't (or rather, they hate nail polish remover). I keep meaning to trim down my dozen or so bottles to the ones I actually wear, but...
    I had to get real with myself: Aeon, how many X color nail polish do you really need? I had so many duplicates or extremely similar colors, or I was keeping some bottles because they were expensive or I love the formula but not necessarily the color.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

I had to get real with myself: Aeon, how many X color nail polish do you really need? I had so many duplicates or extremely similar colors, or I was keeping some bottles because they were expensive or I love the formula but not necessarily the color.
    I understand this issue - I have a bad habit of impulse buying a new color then realizing that it's a quarter shade off from something I already have. Only about 3 dozen bottles, though ( which my brain just translated into a co-pilot or 3 shop bags or...).

That sounds a lot like decluttering to me.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0