Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Cleaning up and clearing out your space, what have you done?

Time to clean out a myriad of iPhone apps. OMG!
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanisol View Post
    When my mother passed away, my sister and I sold or donated most of her things, but we also ended up putting a bunch of stuff in storage because we just couldn't deal with it at the time. I think we've reached the point where we are ready to go through that stuff again.
    I understand what you went through. My father and my sister passed away within a year from each other. For seven years my mother refused to give away their stuff. Then she got sick and spent almost 9 months in hospitals because of a cancer, and only then she decided to let it go and it took me two months to complete the process.

I donīt believe that she would ever allow if she was in the house! So Frank II advice on spending sometime out of your home is every wise and the best thing to do on situations like that.
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-27-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I used to be a forum member on a website called Unclutterer, but moved away after the forum software was changed and became extremely unfriendly and difficult to find posts with. I'm engaged in a long slow declutter of our house - it's a big house, and we have considerable stuff, not helped by having to absorb some of the contents of my late in-laws' house a couple of years ago. It's a very difficult process, made more complex by having a partner who is something of a pack-rat and is one of Justin Case's biggest fans. The horde of cats and dogs don't help either... nor the fact that we both work from home (for different employers) and have to maintain offices within the house.

I can certainly sympathise with Shanisol - I would have a terrible time getting rid of my books. I am typing this post from my office, a room which was previously known as the library. It's about 12 feet square and lined with floor to ceiling bookcases, mostly full and containing a great many books which are out of print or have great sentimental value now - some belonged to my late father, others were favourites while growing up. About the only type of book I can seem to shed is outdated technical manuals, the rest might as well be superglued to the shelves. I have some e-books as well, but somehow they are just not as satisfying as real books - in some cases I have purchased the e-book for immediate gratification, then bought a paper copy later to re-read! Both my partner and I are voracious readers who share similar tastes in reading material...

Oddly, right at the moment while my partner is immobilised due to a tibial plateau fracture and I seem to be under huge stress dealing with everything, I also seem to be making a bit of progress on the decluttering side which has eluded me for ages. One recent weekend was spent sorting out the workspaces and some of the cupboards on one side of the main kitchen; last weeked I decluttered one of the sideboard storage units in the lounge which had become a dumping ground. This morning a very worn area of fitted carpet was ripped up and replaced with new carpet tiles... I think the key for me is that I reach a point of irritation with some aspect of the household environment, and then when the moment presents itself I blitz it. I think I'm a bit like Vecturist in that I tidy or clean when stressed, and my stress level over recent weeks has been almost off the charts. My other half has realised, finally - the cats and dogs worked it out ages ago - that when I'm in that kind of mood it's perhaps best not to sit too still lest ye be forcibly tidied!
    Last edited by PaulT00; 05-27-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Time to clean out a myriad of iPhone apps. OMG!
    Me too, I have 10 screens full of apps! I probably use about 10 *sigh*
    eWalker likes this.

Digital clutter is so easy to accrue. I try to regularly go through my apps, bookmarks, notes, etc, but it builds up fast. I use Pinterest as a way to organize stuff I want to keep organized for future reference, but I had to make myself stop following people, as it only made me want to shop.

I've spent years on a digital photo project. Scanning. Deleting bad photos. Tagging and organizing the keepers. I've got about 20,000 photos that date back to the late 1800s, and love the idea of having my entire family history all organized for the future.

We spent months "ripping" our CDs and importing them into iTunes. Then, we let go of the CDs. The next project was to delete the song files for the songs we didn't like. There were so many entire albums that we owned, but only actually listened to a few songs from the album. It was really liberating to cull the "bad" music from our song library.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. I know this is the internet and all but it's great to have others share their successes and challenges. You just never know the impact sharing personal stories may have on someone.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I second Moose's comment.
    Moose and eWalker like this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I second Moose's comment.
    So do I !

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Moose likes this.

"Ditto!" she said, from beneath the pile of papers and junk.

I'm working on decluttering my study at the moment, as I need to make a calm orderly space that encourages my creativity rather than distracting me. Last night I swapped around my futon-sofa and large bookshelf to make a cosy nook next to my 1940s "Utility" bureau; tonight I shall work on tidying and decluttering the shelves and desk.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Scribe., I have a desk you can work on after yours is sorted.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    my 1940s "Utility" bureau.
    @scribe I Loved your bureau!

Do you have an original?

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @scribe I Loved your bureau!
    It's not the dressing table in that Wikipedia article, it's actually very like this one I just found online, but with only the top two drawers (with horizontal Utility-style handles) - the legs are longer to compensate.

Name:  small-solid-oak-writing-bureau-desk-154305.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  62.5 KB

It might be 1920s (the period given on the web page where I found the photo) rather than 1940s, but it's definitely early 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Do you have an original?
    I think so - it's certainly battered enough, and it looks original in its construction. I bought it on ebay relatively cheap (under Ģ100, IIRC)
    Last edited by scribe; 05-29-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Is that a Duncan Fife? Or am I thinking Barney Fife? I get the two confused.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

If you mean Duncan Phyfe, definitely not - my bureau is English 20th century Arts and Crafts, not American 19th century Neo-Classical
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0