Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Maine Meeting

Maine Meeting

Sturbridge and I would like to make an open invitation to anyone that would like to join us for a meet up. We are getting together Monday, June 2nd, between 4:30 and 4:45 in the afternoon. Our meeting place is the bandstand in the park in Bar Harbor Maine. We have no big plans or anything. I'm going to take my Western Flyer and of course my Side Effect, maybe my S25 but that's really it. This

We are both excited to be getting together and if you're in the neighborhood please stop by. If you can make it and would like to see a particular bag one of us has, we will need a bit of notice.

Sturbridge & Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 05-23-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Darcy and dorayme like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

i would love a good excuse to go to maine! can't make it in june, alas. enjoy your visit!

The good thing about meeting other Bihnions, is that you don't have to ask how you are going to find them. You just look for the bags. LOL.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    The good thing about meeting other Bihnions, is that you don't have to ask how you are going to find them. You just look for the bags. LOL.
    I still think @Moose should do something characteristic and say something like "I'll be carrying Kiwi".
    Moose likes this.

smj
    Rats. Can't make it that day!
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

moriond, was considering taking my kiwi Swift. I'm also considering ordering a kiwi/kiwi/UV Swift before they get away. Love my four kiwi pouches, three arrived last week.
    Moose

Well we did it. It was really great to meet sturbridge and finally get to see a Little Swift. I have figured out I love black dyneema too. I took a couple of bags with me. We spent some time sitting on a park bench looking at all the lovely colors and of course speculating on the new arrivals later this month. I think sturbridge may have decided kiwi is pretty cool in person. We didn't stay long, it was close to dinner time but it sure was a great way to end the day.

If anyone ever gets close to Acadia or Bar Harbor, I get there pretty regularly, and would like to get together let me know.
    Thanks sturbridge!
    Moose

Home from my Maine trip, and getting to meet Moose and see several of her bags. I saw the Synapse 25 in Steel Dyneema from a distance, so knew it was her. I now realize I am seriously deficient in the number of Tom Bihn bags/accessories I own, and will have to rectify that this month. I am not a green person but Moose has now convinced me that I need to get something in Kiwi- the color is just so striking. Thanks again Moose for bringing along all those bags and pouches!

I truly am a purple person. That's why (heaven help me) my new kiwi/kiwi/uv Swift just arrived. I walked past a store window yesterday and there was a beautiful kiwi colored scarf hanging there. If it's there tomorrow it's mine. No I would never hold my kiwi Swift up to the window to match colors or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I truly am a purple person. That's why (heaven help me) my new kiwi/kiwi/uv Swift just arrived. I walked past a store window yesterday and there was a beautiful kiwi colored scarf hanging there. If it's there tomorrow it's mine. No I would never hold my kiwi Swift up to the window to match colors or anything...
    Moose

I will be in Northeast Harbor between the 7th and 12th of July it looks like.
    I am driving up and flying back which always makes for an interesting/challenging packing job to say the least.

I will have my TriStar for sure and another bag that as of now is uncertain. It could be something new though making its Debut so it could be exciting........to others like us at least!

I haven't decided if I will be flying out of Bangor or Bar Harbor just yet either,any suggestions?
    Either way it is a long trek back to STL and I am not sure if the drive before or the waits after make one any better than the other?
    Are either airport sizable do you know?
    Bangor is titled an International airport but has exactly ZERO international flights too?

Color coordinating is vital to developing your capsule wardrobe, don't you think? That scarf sounds as though it would fill a hole in your wardrobe planning....how am I doing? Is this enabling enough?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

AVService,
    Wow, that is a challenge. The first thing to know is that getting in or out of here is NOT easy. The Bangor airport is larger, they have, I think, four gates now. Are you done laughing yet? Bar Harbor has one gate. The entire Bar Harbor airport is only one room probably 50X30 feet. Surprisingly enough Bar Harbor has the toughest, second only to Bangor, security I've seen. In Bar Harbor, once through security, there is seating for about 15 people, that's it. IIRC you can return a rental car there but you'd want to make sure that's in fact the case. I don't recall there being an obvious car rental desk in Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor is, for me, easier to fly in and out of. It is, unfortunately, much more expensive and the flights are really limited. If I can get from Bar Harbor to Boston or Philadelphia the world pretty much opens up. Bangor has many more options. It is a 55+/- mile drive from NEH (Northeast Harbor) to Bangor and will take 1.5 hour minimum. Traffic is pretty dreadful. The first half the journey speed limits are not over 40MPH.

If I were in your shoes I'd definitely travel out of Bangor. It gives you a lot more options and will be the least expensive option. I would also suggest flying as early as possible during the day. Bangor is about the last stop for airports in the country. If anything gets delayed anywhere it's there.

If you'd like to get together while you're here please let me know. Also, if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you. Hope you have a great trip.
    Moose

Oh, remember, at either airport the planes will be the smallest possible and still able to achive flight. Probably 20 seats out of Bar Harbor, maybe 30 out of Bangor.

If you are inclined, Portland is about a 3.5 hour drive south. It is a lot easier to get in and out of, lots of options and the costs drop like a rock. Just another option.
    Last edited by Moose; 06-22-2014 at 05:30 AM.

monkey lady, yup, enabling points for you.

Name:  Swift & Scarf.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  62.2 KB

The scarf was still at the store the next morning. Now they have beautiful purple ones hanging in the window. Big sigh...

monkey lady, yup, enabling points for you.
    The scarf was still at the store the next morning. Now they have beautiful purple ones hanging in the window. Big sigh...
    You have to be fair. Getting only a Kiwi scarf to match your Kiwi bags will make your Plum bags feel jealous and unloved.
    Don't neglect your Plum bags, get the purple scarf too, you know it's the right thing to do :P

monkeylady, icebeng, you all are the worst, or is that best? I read through the forums and get a giggle almost every time. It never ceases to amaze me the humor, help and ah-ha moments one can have in almost every thread.

icebeng, you're right, it wouldn't be fair to my plum and aubergine bags. Gotta get the purple scarf tomorrow.

As to clearing clutter, how many scarves does one person need? Another big sigh...
    icebeng likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0