Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: iPhone 5s case?

iPhone 5s case?

I'm betting that someone here has done extensive field testing on iPhone 5s cases. I, er, laundered my husband's 7 year old flip phone and it couldn't be reconstituted so we went big and bought him a 5s. And, of course, we need a case. He's very careful with his phone (and we will both be obsessive about pocket checks for a while, at least), so it doesn't need to be an extreme waterproof version. But some protection would be nice. It seems like the Touch ID (aka the reason he bought this one and not the 4 or 5c) is a bit of an issue with some cases.

The perfect new case:
    • Will not have to be unzipped or otherwise opened to access the phone
    • Will have decent corner/drop protection
    • Will allow full functionality of Touch ID and all buttons/ports
    • Does not necessarily have to have a screen protector since those seem to serve as dust collectors on some of our other stuff.

Any suggestions? Alas, I do not see a TB option that fits those criteria.

The one I'm using now is just the leather case made by Apple for the 5/5S. If you want some heftier protection, I would also recommend Spigen cases. I'll give you a link to Spigen's site, but they're cheaper on Amazon!

iPhone 5S / 5 | Cases and Screen Protectors for iPhone 5S / 5 by SPIGEN SGP | Spigen

I know quite a few iPhone case nuts, they have more iPhone cases than I have TB bags, accessories included lol

Most protective, but may add quite a bit of bulk.
    iPhone 5s nuud - Overview - English | LifeProof

Also protective, and with a nifty magnet or mounting feature.
    Shop Apple iPhone 5/5s Protective and Mountable Cases by Rokform

Decent quality along with snazzy looks (Your taste may differ though)
    iPhone 5S / 5 | Cases and Screen Protectors for iPhone 5S / 5 by SPIGEN SGP | Spigen
    iPhone 5/5S Case | elago

Note that they are all available through Amazon, so you may find a deal if you look a bit.
    The above brands are largely what my friends are happy with after going through like 30 cases (min) each.

As for me, I decided to just go with the Apple Leather Case, I'm pretty careful with my stuff, so the amount of protection it provides is sufficient for me. I also like how it feels and how its wearing in. Note: if you go with this option, I strongly suggest choosing black as the other colors all have a problem with dirt or oils.
    Last edited by icebeng; 05-20-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I am happy with my Speck hard shell case, it's the CandyShell model.

My Spigen case makes me very happy. I've also had Otterbox (Commuter) and Speck, but Spigen is my favorite by far.

Here's a link: Amazon.com: Spigen SGP10604 iPhone 5S/5 Case Slim Armor S Champagne Gold - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Champagne Gold: Cell Phones & Accessories

I only considered the Otter Box case for my iPhone.

When I bought it, Dumbdroid (Android) phone makers ran ads that made fun of the iPhone screen tendency to shatter and the Otter Box kiosk was right next to the Apple Store.

I bought the Defender because it has the most protection.

The iPhone, in its Defender case looks like a cheap phone, it is slim enough to fit into a Small Clear Pouch and I don't have to worry about transfering the whole thing from one bag to another or just carry the phone in its Small Clear Pouch and my keys.

I just use the basic leather one from the Apple Store - protects the corners whilst leaving the buttons available.

iPhone 5s Case - Black - Apple Store (U.S.)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Also check the Snugg website for smart covers.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I've been using the " tech21 iphone 5s case" sold at the apple store and I have been very happy with it.
    It's also sleek and protective without the clunkyness of the otterbox, in my opinion.
    Google it and u will find a few youtube videos on it.
    I would get it again.

FYI , it also fits in the smaller clear compartment of the small TB double pouch.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 05-20-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    The above brands are largely what my friends are happy with after going through like 30 cases (min) each.
    I can't imagine going through that many cases - that's probably more dollars in cases than in phones.

Thanks everyone for the input. There are a lot more options out there than I realized. I was going to go straight-up Otterbox because that's what I knew but so many complaints about dust under the screen protector, especially with the hole cut for the Home button. Much as I like the simple looks of the Apple leather case (or the similar Snugg), I've ordered a Spigen Tough Armor because it seems to have good corner protection. And the Amazon price couldn't be beat - if it doesn't work out, it's no great loss (assuming that "doesn't work out" doesn't mean "didn't protect phone").

Incidentally, the spouse feels so guilty that *I* washed his phone (go figure) that he thinks it's a good idea to chase one big expense with another and that I should have an Aeronaut. There's no logic in that, but there's an awful lot of appeal.

Go for it! He's deflecting then assuaging his guilt for his expensive mistake by offering you a TB bag.
    backpack and binje like this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I know Otterbox gets dust. Also the silicone sleeve stretches and I went through three sleeves the first year I had my phone. However replacements are covered by warranty for a year, and it is easy to submit a warranty claim via photos online.

The biggest plus of Otterbox for me is straight up protection. I have dropped it, had it thrown by a toddler, and accidentally slammed my trunk shut on my phone. Not even a crack in the screen.

I stick with Otterbox. Keep us posted on the Spigen and safe travels with the new phone!

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I have dropped it, had it thrown by a toddler, and accidentally slammed my trunk shut on my phone. Not even a crack in the screen.
    That is quite the endorsement! Especially the trunk-slamming. I suppose you have the Defender? I was looking at my coworker's Commuter and that came in second place for the first round of case-buying, but I can't imagine it would hold up to crushing.

In terms of total protection, I would pick LifeProof. They are a little more expensive, but they are waterproof, dust proof, drop proof, etc. Truly, life proof. It is also much slimmer than an Otterbox. You can get it with or without a screen filament, both are waterproof, and the ones for the 5S still allow you to use the fingerprint scanner. Its pretty nifty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0