Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Seasonal Color Analysis

Seasonal Color Analysis

After @backpack and @scribe references to "Color me Beautiful" on Frank II's interview over at Carryology thread and @icebeng gave me the subject to Google, I just couldīt resist the curiosity... So...

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Suits are especially tricky because they were standardized for Winter coloring: black suit, white shirt and red or blue tie with silver watch.
    Men have the advantage of having in house tailoring for their suits, even department stores offer this.

However, if you wear business casual witch calls for khakis, you have won half the battle.

After you have found your most flatering colors buy U.S.A made for durability, I still wear items that were made two decades ago in the U.S.

For men, the jewellery is usually their watch and wedding band, a watch that doesn't match clothes can be removed for business attire since mobile phones are also time keepers.
    Alternatively, a fun colorful watch could replace it.

Replacing comfortable but unmatching business shoes might not be in the budget, it is tricky if a suit is needed.
    A good solution is to buy a grey suit, a warm one will match brown shoes if there is a brown or coffee, hot cocoa or cream contrasting line in the suit design.
    Same with cool grey with red, blue and white lines and black shoes.
    I think it is better to use contrasting socks matching the suits lines or the tie if the suit is one color.

Hope this help.
    My guess so far is that I am winter and because of the business environment, I wasnīt off the target, but I found the method interesting because added a new dimension of analysis.

I ordered the "Color for Men" book and I am going to see if what conclusions I come to.

Right now my favorite colors are all in the darker shades... For example, I rather use wine then red, navy then cyan, etc.

But you, @scribe and @Ilkyway helped a lot... I truly believed that the color matching was restricted to makeup... Silly me!!
    scribe and Ilkyway like this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

It's true that foundation matching is the easiest way to confirm what season you are - I used to think my colouring was cool, as I'm pale and flush pink easily, but when I got tested by the girl at the Bare Minerals counter, I had to admit that it was the pale yellow foundation that disappeared on my skin!

I haven't colour-matched my husband, but as he's classic Scottish (sandy hair, blue eyes, freckles, and burns at the slightest hint of sun) it's not difficult to guess that he looks best in paler warm colours

BTW, ladies, mineral foundations are great for cutting down on your 3-1-1. I used to avoid foundation as it was tricky to get right without looking caked, but brushing on a pinch of tinted powder is so easy! (Just avoid the ones that use TV ads to fool you into a monthly subscription - it's a total scam.)
    Last edited by scribe; 05-19-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Hollie and eWalker like this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

This is quite intriguing for me.

Before our chat, I had only two color related rules, avoid bright colors (except for carnival!) and stick with a mix of off colors (off white and off black). Simple as that!

The other thing is the "capsule wardrobe"... I didnīt knew that term either... Now I have added it to my list of frequent Google searches and is a great complement to my readings on minimalism.

I found fascinating how from the topics of travel bags and EDC, so many intrinsically connected threads sprout and evolve into lifestyle and sometimes philosophical engaged debates!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-22-2014 at 08:30 AM.

I am intrigued by the capsule wardrobe concept also. I have a small closet and had to make the commitment long ago that if an item didn't fit, I couldn't buy it unless I ditched another item. This has worked reasonably well for me, but I'll be honest, I've become a master at squeezing things in and cheating a little all too often. The result can be that I end up with a wardrobe of sixes and sevens, not enough things working with not enough other things. So, I've recommitted myself to working on this some more. I have started by color sorting after removing heavy winter clothing and storing. It is EMBARRASSING how many white tops I own. OMG, fourteen! Another part of my wardrobe problem is that we have mainly done tropical/jungle/nature travel over the years. The wardrobe I developed for these activities does not work for city travel. Sorry. No convertible pants in the city! I have my standards. We are planning city travel in Mexico next winter and it forced me to look at the clothing I have that's appropriate to that trip. I have plenty of appropriate clothing, but it's so far ranging in color and style that I've had to focus on developing a capsule to facilitate minimalist packing. It's fun and daunting.
    Last edited by monkeylady; 05-22-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Project 333, closet apps and more...

After reading about the Capsule Wardrobe on Project 333 and bumping into an article about Closet Management Apps, I start to think that one of those apps might help to plan a Capsule Wardrobe for Project 333.

. Closet App (iPad/iPhone) - this even create packing lists!
    . Style Book (iPad/iPhone)
    . NetRobe (iPad/iPhone)
    . Touch Closet (iPad/iPhone)
    . Personal Closet (Android)

hmmm... I am seeing so many interesting iOS apps reviewed on travel tips articles that I am considering replacing my Android Tablet for an iPad Mini!

Back to the topic... Anyone is using one of those or anything like it?
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-23-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    It is EMBARRASSING how many white tops I own. OMG, fourteen!
    LOL! I donīt even dare to count how many black outfits I have! :P

Name:  il_570xN.82755432.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  43.4 KB

I really need some more color diversity on my Wardrobe!

And now is the perfect moment to do this because I reduced my weight enough to justify some serious shopping!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    After reading about the Capsule Wardrobe on Project 333 and bumping into an article about Closet Management Apps, I start to think that one of those apps might help to plan a Capsule Wardrobe for Project 333.

. Closet App (iPad/iPhone) - this even create packing lists!
    . Style Book (iPad/iPhone)
    . NetRobe (iPad/iPhone)
    . Touch Closet (iPad/iPhone)
    . Personal Closet (Android)

hmmm... I am seeing so many interesting apps reviewed on travel tips articles that I am considering replacing my Android Tablet for an iPad Mini!

Thanks @ewalker! It didn't even occur to me that there might be apps. I have never used them. I've downloaded Closet App and will try it out!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Thanks @ewalker! It didn't even occur to me that there might be apps. I have never used them. I've downloaded Closet App and will try it out!
    @monkeylady please, please don't forget to share your experience! This is probably the last bit of pushing I need to get an iOS device!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

You can count on me...to send you over the edge....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Not yet - but I'm going to try out Closet+ (it looks great, and better still it's free*). I was already planning on spending some time this weekend packing up my winter wardrobe in vacuum bags and assessing my summer wardrobe ready for rotating it next month**, so this is perfect timing!

* Correction - in-app purchases needed to remove ads and get extra features. Also, it's iPhone only - not iPad

** I'm really enjoying the three-month rotation aspect of Project 333 - it makes it much easier to manage a capsule wardrobe without getting bored of your clothes
    Last edited by scribe; 05-24-2014 at 01:36 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Also, it's iPhone only - not iPad
    From the apple store...

Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

But I emailed then to make sure!

Thanks for the warning!

Hmm, it's not showing up as an iPad app when I access the App Store on my iPad Mini - I wonder if it's one of those apps you can use on your iPad but it doesn't resize to fit the bigger screen?
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I used P333 from spring 2013- February 2014. We had a small closet, and with moving I didn't want it to look cluttered, so P333 game me outfits to wear, without the appearance that my closet was full. Then in the fall, we finally sold our house and moved into our camper for 4 months. I continued to use P333 due to the fact that I had a microscopic closet in the camper. But when we bought our current home and moved again, I had a walk in closet for the first time in my life. I abandoned p333. That being said, dh and I went halvsies on the walkin located in the master bath, and large reach in in the MBR. In the walkin we keep clothes, in the reach in, I keep my TB, and he keeps the collection closest to his heart. My clothing, though expanded to be everything I own for all seasons and significantly more than 33 pieces, still only takes up 1/4 of the space. But because I have eliminated clothing that I only owned because of some emotional tie, what's left, all fits and flatters, makes me feel good, and coordinates, so getting dressed is easy and fun.

I have quite a few purple tops, and skirts in the mix, but I wear them all. If I notice something isn't getting wear, I pull it and donate. I only have so many velvet covered hangers, and a handful extra available for drying tops, and I refuse to buy more so the base wardrobe isn't expanding. This works for me now, but when I had less space, a capsule wardrobe was a better solution.

I say this to say, I don't think that there is a magic number of clothes. For some 33 pieces works, for others, fewer pieces, and for most of us, more. I think the deeper issue is knowing your needs, and tastes, what fits and flatters, what coordinates, and not allowing clothes that are only emotional attachments to linger.

If it made you feel special, but is out of fashion, it's time for it to go. If it cannot work with any of the other items in your closet, so you never choose to wear it, it's time to go. If you are working towards being the right size to wear it, but aren't the yet, ttg, etc. the same thing goes for bags and shoes.

Jm2c
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Hmm, it's not showing up as an iPad app when I access the App Store on my iPad Mini - I wonder if it's one of those apps you can use on your iPad but it doesn't resize to fit the bigger screen?
    I believe that may be the case, but as soon as they answer my email I will share with you!

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I say this to say, I don't think that there is a magic number of clothes. For some 33 pieces works, for others, fewer pieces, and for most of us, more. I think the deeper issue is knowing your needs, and tastes, what fits and flatters, what coordinates, and not allowing clothes that are only emotional attachments to linger.
    I agree! There are a great number of variables that may come into play... Specific dress codes for specific social environments due to religious, cultural or activity reasons may balloon the number of items you have to keep in your wardrobe. But I truly believe that the Project 333 and the concept of capsule wardrobe helps to give a direction to follow towards a more comfy use of time, resources and space.

I read somewhere that expenses and clutter are like nails, must be cut often!
    dorayme likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0