Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Seasonal Color Analysis

I segregated mine into cold weather and warm weather wear, and it made a difference, to me, at least...I have white stuff way too heavy and dense to wear for spring, summer, and early fall. Let's not even discuss sweaters.....I have so many black and grey ones.....not a single white one, though.
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Because of the inspiration provided by this thread I cleaned up/out my closet a bit. Just exactly ho many white tshirts does one person need? Is 8 too many?
    Moose
    White tshirts are staples and you can keep them all.

They are perfect for casual activities as under colorful tank tops, for people who need the extra support of a foundation garment which always shows under the strap of many tank tops; over a button down shirt (especially an oversized men shirt), part of sleep garments.

In an emergency, such as the hotel laundry failing to bring bag tops in time for a presentation, a trip to the men department foundation garment can land a pack or white tees to wear under a tailored button top blouse or/and a Grace Kelly Cardigan, in solid colors, which, can, then be worn twice with different scarves.

I finally got round to sending my photos to Pretty Your World yesterday, so we'll see how it goes...
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Update: I got my analysis back, and it confirmed my suspicion that I'm a "Toned Autumn", i.e. the darker version of the Soft Deep Autumn. Hence I have both warm and cool tones, but overall quite muted. That explains why I don't look awful in black, but can really only get away with it when my hair is at its darkest (whether dyed or just kept out of the sun) and I'm wearing cooler shades of makeup, so that I move more towards a Soft Deep Winter.

After reading the ebook that's included in the price of the consultation, I had a closer look at my eyes, which I have always described as "brown". I was somewhat shocked to discover that they're actually dark grey-green on the outer portion of the iris and red-brown around the pupil! It's only really noticeable in bright light, when my pupils contract down far enough to show my full iris. If I didn't already wear contacts with a complex prescription, I'd be interested to see what I look like in fashion contacts that made my whole eye that same green!

Bringing it back around to TB, it also explains why I love aubergine and olive bags - they fall squarely into the "not too cool, not too warm, not too bright, not too dark" category that suits me best
    Last edited by scribe; 06-04-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Wow, scribe, you have dual colored eyes! That is SO cool!

Unfortunately it's so subtle as to be hard to spot - if it took me decades to notice, no-one else is likely to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

Update - I received my colour swatches yesterday, and I'm happy to report that most of my current wardrobe fits into my recommended palette! (Apart from the black, of course - I'm going to phase in warm greys and dark muted purples to replace my black shirts.)

Funnily enough, there's a swatch labelled 'aubergine' that's a very close match to TB aubergine, albeit a bit paler. On the back of the card it says:

Wardrobe Use: Basic

Effects: Mysterious, Creative, Innovative

Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post

Funnily enough, there's a swatch labelled 'aubergine' that's a very close match to TB aubergine, albeit a bit paler. On the back of the card it says:

Of course. Don't you that describes purplelovers to a T?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Update - I received my colour swatches yesterday, and I'm happy to report that most of my current wardrobe fits into my recommended palette! (Apart from the black, of course - I'm going to phase in warm greys and dark muted purples to replace my black shirts.)

Thatīs great!

I am going to try it myself as soon as I receive my copy of Color for Men!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Update: I got my analysis back, and it confirmed my suspicion that I'm a "Toned Autumn", i.e. the darker version of the Soft Deep Autumn. Hence I have both warm and cool tones, but overall quite muted. That explains why I don't look awful in black, but can really only get away with it when my hair is at its darkest (whether dyed or just kept out of the sun) and I'm wearing cooler shades of makeup, so that I move more towards a Soft Deep Winter.

After reading the ebook that's included in the price of the consultation, I had a closer look at my eyes, which I have always described as "brown". I was somewhat shocked to discover that they're actually dark grey-green on the outer portion of the iris and red-brown around the pupil! It's only really noticeable in bright light, when my pupils contract down far enough to show my full iris. If I didn't already wear contacts with a complex prescription, I'd be interested to see what I look like in fashion contacts that made my whole eye that same green!

Bringing it back around to TB, it also explains why I love aubergine and olive bags - they fall squarely into the "not too cool, not too warm, not too bright, not too dark" category that suits me best
    It is fascinating!

So I guess, accurate eye color, is more reliable, than underline warm or cool skin tone, for brunettes or silver haired people.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    So I guess, accurate eye color, is more reliable, than underline warm or cool skin tone, for brunettes or silver haired people.
    Yes, I was quite surprised by that. I think the problem is that it's very hard for us to accurately judge skin tone, but since all your pigmentation is derived from a cluster of related genes, you can use hair and eye colour as surrogate measures of skin tone. And since many women dye their hair, eye colour is pretty much the only rock-solid evidence one can go on.

Yesterday I went clothes shopping for the first time with my swatches! You have to use your judgement a bit, since there are only 60 swatches, but I went on the assumption that lighter and darker shades of the cards were OK, and even near-matches. In fact, being both cool and warm in tone, my palette is extremely varied - the only colours that are noticeably absent are bright blues and leaf greens, which are not colours I'd wear much anyway.

In the end I bought pale neutrals, for a cool summery look: beige chinos, a pale grey linen shirt and a beige/gold/brown beaded scarf. They look good together (I think of them as beach colours, as they remind me of sand and driftwood), and also coordinate with some of the black, charcoal and off-white items already in my wardrobe.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

Finally I received my copy of "Color For Men"

Name:  Color for men.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  51.3 KB
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0