Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Seasonal Color Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I say this to say, I don't think that there is a magic number of clothes.
    I totally agree - 33 items every 3 months just makes for a memorable name for the concept. I made initial lists of around 25 everyday items plus 5-10 items for formal outfits, but I deliberately excluded jewellery because a) I love it and b) it doesn't take up much space.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from most women in that I find clothes shopping tiresome because I usually know exactly what I want but can't find it - having a planned wardrobe fits my philosophy well but also entices me to buy clothes because I can see where the gaps are. Mostly I love being able to get dressed for work each day by just pulling out this week's jeans and a random top from the season's half-dozen that are all hanging ready in my tiny wardrobe

ETA: I spent this morning packing away my winter wardrobe, then tried reading some colour analysis webpages and ended up totally confused! I'm a darker autumn (warm skin, chestnut hair, brown eyes), but I'm not sure exactly which type - and that makes a big difference as to whether I should wear black near my face or not. I don't trust myself to make the right call here (I have lots of black tops in my wardrobe!) so I decided to pay to get analysed. I think it's a worthwhile investment if it helps me build a better capsule wardrobe.
    Last edited by scribe; 05-24-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I spent this morning packing away my winter wardrobe, then tried reading some colour analysis webpages and ended up totally confused! I'm a darker autumn (warm skin, chestnut hair, brown eyes), but I'm not sure exactly which type - and that makes a big difference as to whether I should wear black near my face or not. I don't trust myself to make the right call here (I have lots of black tops in my wardrobe!) so I decided to pay to get analysed. I think it's a worthwhile investment if it helps me build a better capsule wardrobe.
    I am looking for the same, if you find an online option let me know. I found something at PrettyYourWorld but I am not sure if this is the best option!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

One big problem with the coloring is: there are many systems and each system is interpreted in more than one way. For me and to my knowledge an autumn (how ever dark) should not be wearing black (near the face). High contrasts (dark hair and eyes on Caucasian) call for higher contrasts in the wardrobe. But the black for an autumn is a rich dark brown. Combined with great, orange, cream and warm reds (the ones without blue in it)

Black is winter.

But as I said there are many experts with different options.

And for an online option: no true chance there. You have to have neutral light, a face with no products on. Colored hair has to be hidden under a scarf. Then you test warm vs. Cold (gold vs silver, blue vs orange, violett vs green for instance.) Than you test clear colours vs muted and so on.

There are systems with four, nine or twelve different types. I think 9 or 12 was just invented so only experts can figure it out AND because if you only have 4 categories you sometimes have a harder time placing some people.

Over the Internet you have your camera that can change colors and the monitor of the person at the other and. This will not work reliably.

A Winter is not drained by totally unmuted colors such as the Neons. And he/she is the only one who does not only think black looks good on him/her but is actually right about it.

Edit unmuted is that the right word? I mean the color is not broken by black.
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 05-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @monkeylady please, please don't forget to share your experience! This is probably the last bit of pushing I need to get an iOS device!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    eWalker, I used a Dumbdroid phone of the same brand as yours, I bought it because it was the cheapest, had a two for one deal and our Windows phone was showing signs of wear and tear.

My husband set up voip in his Nexsucks 7 and I got an iPad. I messaged from a secure place (store or mall) for communication.

When the Dumbdroid phones batteries run out, I heard that iPad theft were up in my area. I then bought an iPhone with a Otter Box Defender because I heard that the screens were fragile and the case made the phone look like everyone else's.

I agree that it can be tricky over the internet, but monitors can be adjusted (I used to work in magazines a long time ago, so I know about these things!) and also if someone is accustomed to working this way, they're probably more accurate than you or I attempting to do the same thing.

Anyway, I'm going to give the Pretty Your World consultant a try, since it's not hideously expensive (the pound is quite strong against the dollar right now!). She does insist on proper digital camera photos, not ones taken by a cellphone - and having spent a chunk of the day cataloguing my wardrobe using Closet+ on my iPhone, I have to say that the colour accuracy is way, way off on reds and greens. Fortunately I have some professional digital portraits taken a couple of years ago when I got my book deal, which should help.

As for Autumns not wearing black, that depends on the system. In the simple 4-season system, sure - but I'm a dark Autumn, not a classic redhead, hence my uncertainty. This picture of Julia Roberts is very close to my natural colouring (though I wish I looked half as good!)

Pin by Hip Optimist on Vibrant blue autumn | Pinterest
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Are thous fotos with or without makeup?

You can wear wrong colors if you couteract them through makeup. It does not work always and not every makuparist is good in it but pictures from magazines are in no way proof of what a typ can or cant war.

For the records: everyone can wear what ever they like! It is just inside thous coloring-systems I am arguing here.

Edit: about Julia Roerts, on my screen that is not even black. It is something greenish very muted very dark but not black and that makes a big difference.
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 05-24-2014 at 03:18 PM.

In my experience, people are rarely fit just one season for color. A few years back I had a color analysis done. I was considered a winter white, black, bluish red, forest green, navy and other shades of blue, bluish purples, all expected, all except mustard yellow, which looked fabulous! Go figure.

Now some years later, with silver hair (I gave up the dye jobs) and older skin, saturated color near my face is important. So I can wear any bottom colors I want, but saturated color near my face is really important. But now it's still snow white, teals, turquoise, plums, aubergine, black, all shades red, orange and greys that fall on the silver side. Still no yellows, beiges, browns, pastels. Things change.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Are thous fotos with or without makeup?
    With - but I wear foundation colour-matched to my skin, and not very much of it. It's to even out my skin tone, not to make me looked artificially tanned or something! I did my own makeup for the photo-shoot and the pictures were taken outdoors. Plus I'll get some makeup-free ones taken with my ordinary digital camera, just for the analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Edit: about Julia Roerts, on my screen that is not even black. It is something greenish very muted very dark but not black and that makes a big difference.
    Oh, no, she's not wearing black - sorry for the confusion. I chose the photo for her skin, hair and eyes, not her clothes. Many celebrity dark autumns are Latinas, with much darker skin than mine, so it's hard to find good examples.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady
    In my experience, people are rarely fit just one season for color.
    Certainly the original four-season system was overly simplistic. Now that I come to think of it, I did get myself "diagnosed" (over the internet) some years ago and was told I was an Autumn, which annoyed me because I dislike most of the standard Autumn palette (usually called "Warm Autumn" nowadays) and anyway I'd always considered myself a Winter because of my dark hair and eyes. Hopefully this new 4x4 system will provide the necessary nuance - there's no denying that my skin is more yellow-toned than pink, or that my hair has strong red highlights in direct sunlight!

I also agree that your colours are going to change as you age - especially if you go grey. I rather envy you the silver hair, monkeylady - I always think it looks so elegant.
    Collections:

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1401406130535.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  56.4 KB

I found this researching "capsule wardrobe for men" but it is the perfect description of the color scheme I have used so far!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    LOL! I dont even dare to count how many black outfits I have! :P
    I really need some more color diversity on my Wardrobe!
    Me too!! I was sorting through a pile of clean clothes and realized that ALL of my T-shirts are black, charcoal gray, or navy.
    I might give color analysis a try sometime as well, since it looks like the seasonal system has expanded a bit from the "Not white? You are a Winter" stuff I remember from the eighties.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    In my experience, people are rarely fit just one season for color. A few years back I had a color analysis done. I was considered a winter white, black, bluish red, forest green, navy and other shades of blue, bluish purples, all expected, all except mustard yellow, which looked fabulous! Go figure.

Now some years later, with silver hair (I gave up the dye jobs) and older skin, saturated color near my face is important. So I can wear any bottom colors I want, but saturated color near my face is really important. But now it's still snow white, teals, turquoise, plums, aubergine, black, all shades red, orange and greys that fall on the silver side. Still no yellows, beiges, browns, pastels. Things change.
    I think that seasons don't matter as much as colors.

In my early twenties, I bought one orange and one pink, skirts and matching tops to get my Dior look on.

I choose the warm color palette for my picture and looked fabulous, I did the same in my late twenties and I looked horrible in mustard yellow.

Because I am so pale, I was never able to find any matching concealer shades until very recently. They might have been available before in very expensive cosmetic lines but I could not risk buying something expensive then break out in a rash.

It was then, in my early thirties and in another country, with different garment sizes and dress code that I turned to books.

The color analysis explained why I felt so fabulous in purple, pink and gray pieces from handmedowns and store bought items and wanted to wear them as much as possible.
    It also explained how blah I felt when I wore colors like beige or anything else with a warm undertones.

I bought one Winter swatch and used the makeup book and another book with color wheels to find my "I need to fit in my new country while retaining my personal flair, French culture and do it while being plus size, hard to fit and on a shoe string budget"

Which is when, my swatches in hand, I discovered overstock stores shopping, seasonal sales cycles and try everything on in my colors routine.
    I also found out that sizes varied widely from one brand to another, that brand name markup was usually due to the name on the tag and not the quality of the fabric or attention to proportions which is essential for a good fit.

To my dismay, I realized that men's clothing floors in departments stores had tailoring services and much smarter size descriptions, more avialable sizes and more style choices at a much lower price than the plus size women corner on the regular size women floor.

Finding something that drape was and still is very difficult to find.

After seeing racks after racks of flowery, loud and unflattering stripes and more leopard and giraffes prints than I care to remember, I ran to the men's department to try on shirts.
    But men's dress shirt are usually wrapped in neatly folded plastic bundles.

Luckily, my husband wear the same colors and overstock stores are cheap enough to experiment with sizes, and most importantly, some of their dress shirts are already out of their neat plastic bundles.

I find that men's departments are great for basic items in solid colours - I can get an organic cotton T in my local department store for 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

So, @backpack, what are the colors that dominate your wardrobe?

I, too, along with many other women, have noticed that tailoring services are available to men, often free at a place like Nordstrom's unless they have changed that policy. Sometimes I shop Nordstrom sales and have things altered (at my expense, if it's an important piece). Their Encore Department is not overflowing with flowers and horizontal stripes (Stacy and Clinton would approve)' but mostly their stuff is more oriented toward the working woman...and I am not she, but a kept, retired woman. So I've become a rabid fan of J Jill, haunting their sales racks online (as their plus sizes are online only, at least here in Seattle). Once you've established your size, their sizing is remarkably consistent. There are ways to completely avoid shipping costs and they have frequent sales.
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Because of the inspiration provided by this thread I cleaned up/out my closet a bit. Just exactly ho many white tshirts does one person need? Is 8 too many?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0