Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: SIM-only PAYG tariffs with US providers?

SIM-only PAYG tariffs with US providers?

The thread about telecoms in Canada reminded me of this...

Last time I visited the US (summer 2012) I bought a SIM for my iPhone in a T-Mobile store with a $2-a-day "all you can eat" tariff. It was fantastic for staying connected, especially as my UK provider (O2) charges the equivalent of over $4 for a measly 15MB of data of roaming data, which you "buy" from your current PAYG balance.

(Yes, you read that right. Better than coming home to a roaming data bill for hundreds of pounds, but still price-gouging!)

Is T-Mobile US still offering this (or a similar) service? I tried their website but couldn't find any mention of it, and unfortunately my old US SIM has probably expired by now through lack of use.

ETA: doesn't have to be T-Mobile - my iPhone is unlocked - so it just needs to be available for the 5S (i.e. nano SIM).
    Last edited by scribe; 05-16-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I just looked at my PAYG T-Mobile options -- I recently bought their SIM card for my iPad Mini. I live in the U.S. I don't know if this is relevant, because I bought only the data, and not voice or text, since it is an iPad. But the choices are $10 for a 1 day pass, 500MB total, or $15 for a 7 day pass, $1 GB total. The second seems like a much better deal. You can also buy 3GB to use for 30 days, for $30. (Personally, I have the 200MB/month deal, and that is free of charge, which was the reason I got the T-Mobile SIM card to replace the Verizon one I used to have.)

Sometimes when you go into a store, though, you don't find the same choices that are offered online. I ordered my SIM chip through their web site and had it shipped to me, for $10.

Again, if you are looking for voice and text, none of what I wrote above may pertain to what you need. Maybe someone else will have more info on this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Thanks for looking, @bchaplin! Unfortunately my iPad Mini is wifi only, so I'm only interested in iPhone tariffs. I mostly use data and a few texts, though voice is a bonus
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

After consulting with Mr. Monkey lady, he says that phone, text, data are still offered on a pay as you go basis, but he didn't know the prices. You can get any configuration, or lack thereof that you want, for various time chunks, i.e. Per day, etc. check out the website for more detailed info.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Thanks, everyone! @bchaplin sent me a link to the page I was looking for (you have to scroll down to find it):

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

I was on the $2-a-day unlimited 2G plan last time, but $3-a-day for 200MB at 4G is still a vastly better deal than O2 Travel!
    Collections:

Volunteer Moderator
    @scribe and others,

There are two other recent related threads that are worth looking at:

One of the points in the first thread is about checking T-Mobile coverage if you need to travel away from urban areas (presumably not an issue for @scribe). The second thread is really aimed at U.S. cell phone users using some of these T-mobile plans for international travel. Again, I think this information is not going to be new for @scribe, who is using an unlocked phone, and who is aware that she is getting 2G coverage with her current plan.

HTH moriond
    scribe likes this.

I switched to T-Mobile before my current trip to Europe and Africa. It has been fantastic. $60/month, no contract, and 100 countries with free data.
    I have finally been able to drop my second phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0