Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Small light bluetooth speakers

Check out Soundmatters ? because sound matters. Their tech is what powers the jambox I believe. Their foxL V2 sounds much better to my ears although the shape is kinda bulky... Similar to a large candy bar. I haven't heard their new slim Dash7 version but I believe all are on sale currently. Just my $0.02.

I listened to both the Logitech ue miniboom and the Monster Superstar. The Superstar sounded significantly better to me. Thanks for the suggestion Miking. I am very happy with the speaker but am not sure it will make the cutlist for the trip to Turkey. It will definitely be going to the cottage in July, though!
    Miking likes this.

I used to travel with a mini Jambox but I found this little Lon speaker (lonlittleshop.com) in Boulder. It is approximately a 2" cube and has a great sound. $38, 5 hr battery, 30 foot range.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  490.0 KB

For those with a Jambox Mini, if you place your speaker with the back on the table, you will get better bass. Note that you should add some rubbery "feet" to make sure it does not vibrate too much (even some thick tape would work like duct tape). This applies to the Jambox Mini Cousin - the Soundmatters Dash 7 - as well.

See this link (page 4-Acoustic Measurements) for how it improves bass - from a 200hz limit down to 70hz: Jawbone Mini Jambox Review: Jambox Gets Smaller And Better : BringSound.com

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I have also like tpnl the Bose Soundlink Mini and its just amazing. For travel a bit heavy though maybe...I like that it is heavy, it feels premium and well made. Sound is amazing for such a small speaker.
    If you want to compromise a bit with weight than this is an investment. :-)
    WenV likes this.

Amy
    I've bought 4 bluetooth speakers in the past 2 years. for sound-per-size, the TDK A33 is unbeatable. Sounds as good a my home stereo. Better, crisper sounding than a Bose (I listened to both side by side at Best Buy). It's also waterproof. But it's the size and weight of a brick, and requires its own bulky charger, so I don't travel with it.

For one-bag travel where weight matters, I'd highly recommend this diminutive JBL Micro II: Amazon.com : JBL Micro Wireless Ultra-Portable Speaker with Built-In Bass Port and Wireless Bluetooth Connectivity (Black) : MP3 Players & Accessories

Advantages:
    - most clear, undistorted, well-balanced sound out of anything this size I've ever heard. Shocking really in something this small.
    - tiny size-- smaller than the palm of your hand (about 2" diam.), and very light. Also, because it's a flattened sphere shape, it fits more easily than boxy speakers in your bag. I carry mine in a #1 stuff sack in the side pocket of my Synapse 19, along with phone chargers and other stuff.
    - charges on a standard micro USB (so I can use my phone's charger with it)
    - long battery life
    - has a little loop at the top to hang from a pack or cabinet pull
    - cheap (I feel less stressed out traveling with less expensive gadgets)

It's a great size and sound for indoors-- kitchen or hotel. I used it once while outdoors at a picnic and it was great for that too, although don't expect the sound to carry that far outdoors.

It doesn't have speakerphone, which would have been nice, but I mainly got mine just to listen to tunes anyway.

EDIT: You can also daisy chain these together, although to me that negates the benefit of the tiny size when you carry more than one.
    Last edited by Amy; 07-07-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    WenV and jmoz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I got the JBL Micro Wireless based on your recommendation, and it sounds shocking good! It's pretty compact, but sounds good for its size. I have seen smaller speakers, but they sound pretty bad. Thanks!

Edit: Worth noting- there is the Micro II and the Micro Wireless. The differences appear to be (optional) Bluetooth and $15, but since Amy described one and links to the other, I thought I'd let everyone know.
    Last edited by jmoz; 07-13-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Amy
    Jmoz-- thanks for clarifying my mistake. I have the bluetooth version which is what I meant to list. Glad you are happy with it. I love mine.

A little late to the party, but wanted to toss out Foxl as an option. I bought this little guy in 2011. After many, many trips together, I'm still quite fond of him. :-)

http://store.soundmatters.com/foxl-intro.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

JukeCase by Son Valise

For something a bit alternative you should check out the JukeCase by Son Valise. A portable bluetooth suitcase speaker with up to 40 hours playtime at 50W (rechargeable battery) and awesome sound quality including deep bass. They look awesome are pretty lightweight (5-10kg)

Read about it here: JukeCase suitcase speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    A little late to the party, but wanted to toss out Foxl as an option. I bought this little guy in 2011. After many, many trips together, I'm still quite fond of him. :-)

Soundmatters | foxL v2 Series

Gumby if you time allows, would you take a picture of the speaker next to your Side Effect? I meshure in Tom Bihn bags and I can not get my head around the size of this thing. Also: how long does it play between charges?

Ilkyway

PS: Welcome gamblot, nice joke as a first post ;-)
    WenV likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Gumby if you time allows, would you take a picture of the speaker next to your Side Effect? I meshure in Tom Bihn bags and I can not get my head around the size of this thing. Also: how long does it play between charges?

Ilkyway

PS: Welcome gamblot, nice joke as a first post ;-)
    @Ilkyway, I'll attach a picture of the Foxl speaker next to a Side Effect. This speaker is slightly smaller than the Jawbone Jambox, and will actually also easily fit into one of the 3D Organizer Cubes. Here's the Foxl shown against an Aubergine/UV Side Effect. I've laid across the back of a Storm Clear Pen/Pencil Organizer Pouch, so that it can be seen more easily.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405984738.050219.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  385.7 KB
    Here's another picture showing the Foxl sitting in the open "lid" of the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket. You can get an impression of the depth, because the speaker sits below the black fabric piping that extends from the zipper. The speaker also sits below the tops of the O-rings.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405985101.579593.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  321.3 KB
    By the way, for people who don't have the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket, a vertically held iPad Mini is a good measure of the length of the pocket below the zipper. (That picture was too difficult to compose without reflections from the screen under artificial fluorescent lighting.)

This speaker was an early leader in delivering sound quality in a portable, Bluetooth device -- particularly bass sounds. Sound quality even in the version that preceded the Jawbone Jambox that the designer of the Foxl also worked on was actually better than the Jambox, especially on a direct audio cable (rather than Bluetooth) connection, but battery lifetime was about half as long, and the Jawbone collaboration brought improvements to the Bluetooth operation. One of the advantages of the rectangular box design of the Jambox and its rubberized base is that the speaker wouldn't jump when playing strong bass. There was another redesigned version of the Foxl after the Jambox release, and it got good reviews, but I haven't heard that speaker.

HTH moriond

Great pics @moriond! I have the Foxl V2 and I still cannot believe how small it is compared to the Side Effect. The picture in the Lower Module Pocket top is hilarious!

The redesigned version is called the Dash 7. Below is a good link to a review of the Dash 7 and comparison to the Foxl V2:

Soundmatters FoxL Dash 7 Review: Svelte Evolution of the FoxL Line : BringSound.com

In short, they are fairly close - but the Dash 7 is half the thickness and a bit better. Both have great mid-range and highs and great bass given the size of the speaker - fantastic for travelling and business use with the speakerphone capabilities. However, if you want good bass (together with mids and highs) in the smallest form factor, the Bose Soundlink Mini is great (but no speakerphone). I have all three speakers and enjoy them all (For the Dash 7, I actually have the Jawbone version - the Mini Jawbone).

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Gumby and Ilkyway like this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I agree -- great pics, @moriond! I've been on the road for the last several days, and am just now getting caught up on my TB forums. Thanks for doing such a thorough job with @Ilkyway's request.

@Ilkyway -- I can't give you a precise number of hours between charges. I've never managed to run down the battery. That said, I tend to charge it every 4-5 times I use it. I'm guessing I use it for about 12-15 hours between charges -- but that really is just a guess.

tpnl and Ilkyway like this.
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

@Ilkyway

In terms of how long the FoxL V2.2 lasts, I can use of for around 12 hours easily but YMMV depending on how loud you play. I play usually high-mid level volume. The interesting thing is that the battery technology has improved since the FoxL V2 first came out in about 2010 and so the advertised battery life has increased from about 8 hours to 20 hours now.
    I would suggest that if you get a new one, it should last the day.

The FoxL V2 does not have a standby mode so you will need to remember to turn it off when not in use. That is the only downside I have found to the product.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0