Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: SSS (SoftStar Shoes) question

SSS (SoftStar Shoes) question

I am planning to order either a pair of DYO RunAmoc Dashes or a pair of DYO Metros (or both! I love SSS) but I am debating ordering the Narrow width over the Regular. I bought a pair of black dashes during the Feb clearance sale which were described as "roomy." They fit, but they do seem about 1/4"-1/3" large around the toe box. I ordered them in the same size as my Ballerines (U6) and even the fit through the foot and heel feels larger. It's not uncomfortable, just if I could get a trimmer fit and look, I would find it more aesthetically pleasing.

SO, should I order the shoes in the regular fit or the narrow fit? I'd really like to have them fit off the bat and not do the return game. Has anyone ordered the reg/narrow fit and can compare? TIA!

I don't own any Soft Star Shoes (yet!), but I'm the type to extensively research before purchase (as I suspect others are on here too), and a DYO Dash is going to be my next shoe purchase. I think the "roomy" designation is for the previous generation of the Dash that fit wider (notice on the DYO page that the regular width says "now more fitted") - you could email them to verify. My guess is you'll want the regular width (especially if that works for you in the Ballerines). I know there are others who own some of their shoes on here though and may be more helpful.

The toe box of any minimalist footwear will be wider to account for toe splay, which is how your foot spreads naturally when you walk with a forefoot strike. I think in general it's best to have that space. I agree with Claire, though: email them and explain what you're looking for and see if the narrower fit will look the way you want it to without compromising the benefits of the shoe (it shouldn't, but the narrow might be very narrow and thus uncomfortable unless your feet are super, um, narrow).

These shoes are made in my hometown! I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought my first pair, and can echo how helpful their customer service is. I'm already dreaming of what my next pair will be. Great shoes!

--Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that calling them and seeing if they could give me the measurements of the narrow width vs regular. Just was wondering if anyone had experience with both widths to compare. I just love the fit of the ballerines for every day wear! They really are GREAT shoes, esp considering they are hand made in the USA! The leather is top notch...nicer than some of my "designer" label shoes for sure.

you know, it occurs to me that you could trace the outside of your feet on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper and email that to them. They could use that to see which of the widths would make more sense for you. I'd definitely recommend tracing both feet since they will use the bigger one to check.

@flaneuse, I've been thinking about purchasing the Soft Star Shoes ballerines myself. Do you think they'll fit in a business casual environment? I'm in need of comfortable and professional-looking black shoes for the office. I've been told that my Kigo mary janes were not cutting it.

@Ginkgo, I would say that if you get the Ballerines in black leather they should be fine (that color looks like something you'd get at Banana Republic; I mean that in a good way). Another shoe to look at is the Vivobarefoot Jing Jing, which sounds vaguely racist to me for some reason but looks like a nice understated black shoe.

Ginkgo likes this.

My experience with the "new" RunAmocs verses the older "roomy" RunAmocs is that the new regular is a perfect fit for me. The toe box of the older style fits larger as you described in your post. The new "regular" fit is slimmer around the toe box but not too narrow. For me, I would not order the narrow as the regular fit is narrower than the older style.

The only other advice I can give is to give them a call. The tracing feet idea and sending it to them may be a good idea, but contact them and I am sure they can give your more guidance.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    @flaneuse, I've been thinking about purchasing the Soft Star Shoes ballerines myself. Do you think they'll fit in a business casual environment? I'm in need of comfortable and professional-looking black shoes for the office. I've been told that my Kigo mary janes were not cutting it.
    I think they would. The cut is very flattering and more dressy than MJs. They remind me a lot of repettos or Tory buch flats, but far more comfortable. I wear them with dresses all the time. The leather on them is so dreamy.

Thanks Canonsue! I will give them a call.
    Ginkgo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @Ginkgo, I would say that if you get the Ballerines in black leather they should be fine (that color looks like something you'd get at Banana Republic; I mean that in a good way). Another shoe to look at is the Vivobarefoot Jing Jing, which sounds vaguely racist to me for some reason but looks like a nice understated black shoe.
    I've been looking for non-leather black ballerinas for a while and haven't found a pair I like. I ordered the Vivobarefoot after seeing your post and they are perfect. If I decided to go into the office, I'm sure I could wear them with my slacks and they'd look professional.
    Ginkgo likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    As others have recommended I would call CS. They are very helpful and knowledgeable. The tracing idea is also a good one.
    My experience is with their wide and regular fit. I was buying wide for the shoes I wear with innersoles and socks, and regular for the shoes I don't. I am going to experiment and try regular fit on the next pair without innersoles. I haven't felt that any were not roomy enough.
    Also I recently discovered I can come down a size in ordering. I wear size euro 38/ US 7.5 B and was ordering 7U and 7Y for SSS, but I found out the 6U and 6Y fit me just fine without the innersoles or socks!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  631.8 KB

Wanted to post an update. I ended up ordering the dashes in the regular width and it is *much* better than their older "regular" width from 2013. They fit perfect, very similar to the way the Ballerines fit. Love at first step for sure. The photo kind of illustrates the difference, the old regular width are the black pair and the new regular width are the caramel pair. Both are size 6U. I think I will eventually order a pair of the sheepskin liners like Dorayme. Maybe it will fill the toe box out of the older pair just a bit more.
    Last edited by flaneuse; 05-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.

flaneuse: I don't care for the look of SSS for men, but I love the hand knit socks in your picture!

Ooooh, that's exactly the pair that's on my wishlist (right down to the size!). That photo may just push me over the edge into ordering...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0