Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: SSS (SoftStar Shoes) question

I have a confession to make. My feet sweat. This means that I don't wear shoes without socks unless they are sandals. I made an exception for a pair of Ahnu Karmas and those worked okay until it got really hot outside. Then they started to stink. Plus, my feet got cold.

Next month I will be starting a job where I have to dress more professionally. I'm can only take this so far - no heels for me unless they are my Fluevogs. But I will be wearing more skirts and slacks. I'm thinking of a pair of ballerina flats because I will also likely have more business travel and I know those pack easily.

My question is if any of you SSS Ballerine wearers can comment on how well they work for sweaty feet or how they work with thin socks. If you don't want the world to know you have sweaty feet, PM me. I'll keep your secret.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I've worn my Ballerines with lace ped style foot liner barely there sock and been happy with how they felt. Ultimately, the comfort will be determined by how much ease you allow in the shoe. I wouldn't try to size down if you plan to wear socks.
    I don't have the foot sweat issue, so i cannot comment on that part though.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I wear them with socks (thin smartwool and slightly thicker handknit ones) and they for great, but like Dorayme says, get your true size. They will stretch a bit with wear. I haven't tried the yet, but maybe get the sheep skin liners? Perhaps they could be easily replaced or washed if they get stinky?

Yes, the sheepskin should work to control sweat and odor from the bottoms of your feet, but they will do little to help top of the foot sweat.

I finally pulled the plug, and it was totally spontaneous. I got an e-mail from the elves at SSS assuring me that they think the ballerines will fit my narrow heel. Then I called to see if they had my size in stock, and they had one left and assured me it would go in the mail today. That's all it took, because I'm going to San Francisco next week and would love to take them! Thanks for the advice on these. If they fit, it'll be the first pair of ballerina style flats I've ever been able to keep on my foot!

And have you all seen the design-your-own style with the sport enclosure? The inspiration pictures are great. There's a brown one with a leopard print heel that I already have my eye on if these work!

My heels are super narrow, and my ballerines fit beautifully. I happen to be in between sizes, and really need to do a customer size, though. Even wig the stretching, I still feel like my toes are a tiny bit too cramped. The next size up was way too big. They are so comfortable, though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Dwright17, I have taken pictures of my Dash's, Ballerines, Roo's and Solstice Sandals and posted them to flickr here
    OMG, i LOVE your green dansko clogs!!!
    dorayme likes this.

They were fun! They, along with their friends now live with another forum member.

I wear dansko clogs at work everyday. They are my favs.

Thanks, Toblerhaus, for the assurances on the fit. My ballerines just arrived an hour ago, and you're right - they fit on my heel just fine! My left foot is slightly larger than my right, and they feel just a tiny bit more snug on the left, but I think I'm probably just in that anxious, "are they going to fit me??" mode right now! I'm also trying to get used to being able to see the outline of my toes in the shoes. I love the soft feel on the inside of the shoe, though, as many shoes rub blisters on the tops of my toes. I can feel the stitching on the insole, but I hope it won't be a problem wearing them. Again, probably over-analyzing. Here are two pics: Name:  IMG_1314.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  794.5 KBName:  IMG_1315.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  841.7 KB

Interesting position for a selfie, by the way! Reaching way out and over, taking the pic upside down . . .

SSS's customer service is right up there with TB in my opinion. TB is the benchmark for all companies now for me, since it's the best I've experienced in my shopping lifetime. I called the "elves" and asked a fit question on the ballerines and got a great explanation, and then I asked how long the shipping would take since I wanted to take them on a trip next Wednesday, but also wanted to wear them around the house to ensure they'd fit before I leave. She told me she'd look for the order and make sure it went out in that day's shipment (that was Wednesday afternoon), and it would probably arrive in just a couple of days since I'm in WA and not across the US. I noticed today that they gave me a free upgrade to 2-day priority shipping just to make sure I had time to wear them before my trip. A definite customer service home run, not unlike what we see so often from the TB crew! I wanted to make sure to share that with you guys, and thank you for turning me on to another fabulous Made in the USA, top quality store.

Cheers!
    Deb

I've got the black ballerines too! They are very comfortable, though I find that the back of the shoe chafes (only) my left ankle. I wear them mostly at work. I was seriously thinking about getting ballerines in other colors, especially the ones with the ventilation holes, but it's the chafing that worries me. I got them in Wide, to accommodate the CorrectToes. Lazy me, I haven't worn them since I got back from vacation a few weeks ago, but the wides seem okay with me, even without CorrectToes.

I got the new Solstice sandals in red impulsively, and I really like those! As instructed, I got them a size down, and also in Wide. Very comfortable!

The ballerines also chewed up my left heel after wearing them to work on back to back days this week. I think my left foot is bigger than my right. What a odd and unfortunate coincidence, @Ginkgo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ginkgo likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    . . .My ballerines just arrived an hour ago, and you're right - they fit on my heel just fine! My left foot is slightly larger than my right, and they feel just a tiny bit more snug on the left, but I think I'm probably just in that anxious, "are they going to fit me??" mode right now! I'm also trying to get used to being able to see the outline of my toes in the shoes. I love the soft feel on the inside of the shoe, though, as many shoes rub blisters on the tops of my toes. I can feel the stitching on the insole, but I hope it won't be a problem wearing them. . .
    @dwright17, what size ballerines did you get? I noted further up on the thread that yoi wear 5 to 5-1/2. The ballerine sizing says U5 is for 5 men, 6 women.

I have very narrow heels and wide forefeet

For dress shoes, I wear size 5 to 5-1/2, depending on the width of the shoe. My feet prefer 5 wide to 5-1/2 regular, but they are difficult to find. Size 6 is too long.

I have been looking, but have not found ballet shoes that fit me. When I find a pair that accommodates my wide forefeet, they slip off the back.

Suggestions from other forum members are most appreciated. Thanks!

Reviving an old thread to ask...

How slippery are the soles when it's raining out? The web site says this can be a problem.

I am worried that when walking on cobblestones or pebble paths, the feel of the ground will be uncomfortable. Are these really for indoor/carpet/car/floor kinds of lifestyles? (as opposed to more outside/uneven surface situations).

Thanks for the pics and reviews everyone. I'm looking for a flat I can wear with dresses when traveling, so a lighter shoe is a good thing for an S19 weekend away.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

It honestly depends on the soles. I have the ones with Vibram soles and haven't noticed much in the way of slipperiness. The same goes for ground feel. If you're not used to minimalist footwear, the ground/rocks/bumps will indeed be uncomfortable (ask me how I felt when I stepped on a tack wearing my FiveFingers). But, after you acclimate, you will a) be more aware of where you are stepping, and b) the soles of your feet will toughen a bit and you'll be a bit more impervious to the ground.

I'm talking mostly about the moccasin-type SoftStars here—I think if you're looking at the ballet-flat type ones, the SS ones are not that much thinner than normal. I don't have them, though (and I've never worn "flats" of any description) so I'm just guessing about that.

PS: the fuzzy lined ones make perfectly useable outdoor shoes, but also fantastic slippers. Wearing mine now. ahhh.
    K9TB likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0