Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Currently carrying; currently reading

yohopee
    My reading list keeps growing and growing. Plus, I do re-read a lot of books. Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco is the one book that I re-read like a clock every two years. I find something new every time.

I read a Umberto Eco book once, Black Rose, something g like that. Was a tough read, more of a slog really. I never read another one of his books. Maybe I should try again, it was a very long time ago.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@Moose, Umberto Eco is not an easy read. Foucault's Pendulum is quite complex. One of my university professors got me into it. He loved "deconstructive" stories. I got hooked. Check out The Name of the Rose. It's a fun medieval whodunnit. Very well researched, too!
    Moose likes this.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

Don't watch the movie until _after_ reading the book, by the way.

I have a couple of instances where the movie has significant differences from the book, but the movies are masterpieces in themselves.

Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The book is amazing, and a quick read. The movie has many differences, but it's a very well-written story in itself. One of my favourite Jack Nicholson performances.

Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Wonderful book. Blade Runner (the director's cut) is my favourite Science Fiction film, bar none. I have been a Sci-Fi geek since I was 6 years old. This movie, IMHO, is the epitome of Sci-Fi.

Do not even get me started on The Hobbit and the LOTR. I was hunting dragons as a wee hobbit myself. Again, my dad put these books into my possession when I was just a girl. I was reading fluently in English by age 7. I devoured the books again and again. Then I got my husband hooked when we started dating over 20 years ago. You can imagine that this has been an important part of our lives.

I also got my husband hooked on George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones about ten years ago. We have not even watched the series. We watched one episode and I really liked it, but my nine year old is a vampire. There is no way I will watch that with a kid snooping around. Ha!

Such a fun thread, I am loving everyone's comments.
    Last edited by yohopee; 04-21-2014 at 03:51 AM.

My reading (listening) List is growing as I follow this thread. I too red Tolking long before the Films where thought of. Yohopee, have you red The wheel of Time?
    Today I started the Partial-Series by Dan Wells.
    And I repacked my SA for about the fifth time. I always think of a new/other way and than it is: everything out and from the beginning... this goes there, this goes there... That is another thing I like about audiobooks. While I repack I listen to a book. Isn't that efficient? My husband says packing a pack for more than ones is nothing about efficiency but what does he now?

Ilkyway

This thread has been a wonderful gift from the Easter Bunny. Thank you all!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Carrying my SuperEgo today, like most weekdays.

Currently reading "Gideon's Corpse" by Preston Douglas and Lincoln Child.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

@llkyway, I read up to Book 5, I think. I got sick of Rand al'Thor. :P
    snowbot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yohopee View Post
    @Moose, Umberto Eco is not an easy read. Foucault's Pendulum is quite complex. One of my university professors got me into it. He loved "deconstructive" stories. I got hooked. Check out The Name of the Rose. It's a fun medieval whodunnit. Very well researched, too!
    Yes, that's it. Not the Black Rose but The Name of the Rose. Maybe I should give it another go. To late, already saw the movie.
    Last edited by Moose; 04-21-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forget the movie. Clean your hard drive. Read the book and watch the movie again.
    Moose likes this.

The Eco discussion led me to wonder about a possible subthread to this one: Why on Earth was <THAT> Made into a Movie; Seriously, What Were They Thinking? Some have mentioned Tolkien so I won't go there, though I will admit having a fondness for the animated adaptation of The Hobbit. Plus, there are other more egregious felons.

Here are my top 5:

5. Mrs. Dalloway. Wretched, just wretched, even though the actors were respectable. Just no.

4. The Hours. (Are we sensing a pattern here?) It was all over for me when Nicole Kidman, as Virginia Woolf, lit up a smoke and started penning languidly from her chaise lounge. Woolf wrote standing up, yo. Basic. Fact. Checking.

3. Atonement. Once again, it's not that the acting was bad. But what is heartachingly moving in the novel comes across as lame and mawkish in the film.

2. Brideshead Revisited. Okay, to clarify: I am talking about the feature film and not the excellent BBC miniseries starring Jeremy Irons (which is awesome, and whose screenplay is more or less lifted straight from the novel). One of the world's leading Evelyn Waugh critics called this film "vomitous." I have nothing to add to that, except Amen.

1. Cloud Atlas. I think this was the best book I have read in the last five years. When I saw the trailer for the film, I was in a movie theatre and actually bellowed out loud. Having seen the trailer, all I can ask is What the actual Hell, Hollywood? Go remake Children of the Corn again or something.**

**NB: there's another one that's way better as a book.

PS: I'm really not always this uncharitable. Here's one I like: The Remains of the Day. Is it better as a book? Well, yes. But the film has a visceral grip with its overwhelming theme of conflicting duty and desire; its cinematography is rich and atmospheric; and let us not forget that Emma Thompson is completely wonderful and Anthony Hopkins regal in his subservient humility as Stevens.
    Darcy and yohopee like this.

Totally agree about Atonement. I don't know how that could have ever worked as a movie. Also I'd add to that list pretty much every superhero movie ever made (with the exception of Superman and Superman II - the old ones

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TB Pilot; The Android's Dream by john Scalzi

S19 in black dyneema/wasabi. How to read a book.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0