Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Currently carrying; currently reading

Today was a work day for me. Currently carrying my Synapse 19 as I usually do. Reading some light fiction on my ipad overdrive app. Ebook borrowed from public library.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

@Moose, yes! I have the books, they were my dad's but he gave them to me, but I also bought the series for my Kobo. I. Can't. Wait! I have put this off way too long!

I will have to leave my queue empty for a few weeks.
    Moose likes this.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I'll be carrying my Pilot tomorrow, but today- nothing. As for reading, I finished Wil Wheaton's book (The Happiest Days of Our Lives), and I'm starting Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
    Me too! Well, Murakami, anyway. I wish I knew Japanese. I've read the English translations are sometimes redacted in a not insignificant way. But still wonderful reading. Waiting for the 4th book in IQ84.....

This thread is like a ready-made book club reading list. I'm off to do some e-book browsing on Amazon now!
    Last edited by JLE; 04-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.

I know what you mean. I like the concept, but I'm finding the voice to wander a bit, and I can't nail down the protagonist. It started out young adult, moved to juvenile fiction, and now I'm not certain where it's at. I'm about 2/3 the way through the book. Time will tell if I order the sequel.

[QUOTE=yohopee;62975]@Moose, yes! I have the books, they were my dad's but he gave them to me, but I also bought the series for my Kobo. I. Can't. Wait! I have put this off way too long

Make sure to get King Rat, if you haven't already. IIRC it's based on his personal experience as a POW. Tough movie to watch.
    Moose
    yohopee likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@Moose, I read King Rat about fifteen years ago. I loved it! I have read Gai-Jin, Tai-Pan, and Shogun (still one of my favourite books of all time, I have read this one about six times). For one reason or another, I kept putting off Nobel House. When I finish Nobel House I may just re-read all the other ones.

My reading list keeps growing and growing. Plus, I do re-read a lot of books. Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco is the one book that I re-read like a clock every two years. I find something new every time.
    Moose and Ilkyway like this.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Me too! Well, Murakami, anyway. I wish I knew Japanese. I've read the English translations are sometimes redacted in a not insignificant way. But still wonderful reading. Waiting for the 4th book in IQ84.....

This thread is like a ready-made book club reading list. I'm off to do some e-book browsing on Amazon now!
    My Japanese is horrid, so I've pretty much resigned myself to reading translations of Murakami. Post-Christmas I read A Wild Sheep Chase, which somehow surpassed The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in terms of absurdity and weirdness.

1Q84 was a sheer delight. The Kindle version helped me survive the boredom of a trans-Atlantic flight and ensuing insomnia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry.... what does that mean? Is there more to the story then was published in English?
    I have to say, that was one of the most confusing books I have ever read. I stuck with it to the end, and I still have no idea what any of it was supposed to be about. To this day I get angry every time I see that book in a store.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Reading The Wet Collection, Joni Tevis.

Volunteer Moderator

Lost in Translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    My Japanese is horrid, so I've pretty much resigned myself to reading translations of Murakami. Post-Christmas I read A Wild Sheep Chase, which somehow surpassed The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in terms of absurdity and weirdness.

1Q84 was a sheer delight. The Kindle version helped me survive the boredom of a trans-Atlantic flight and ensuing insomnia.
    @Badger, @JLE Maybe something was Lost in Translation? (Read the portion about shooting the "Suntory Time" commercial and follow the links to the YouTube video of the shoot. Then read the September 21, 2003 NY Times article on What Else Was Lost In Translation to find out what was really going on in that dialogue. The article link to the YouTube video about the Suntory commercials done by Francis Ford Coppola and Akira Kurosawa won't work, but this link to a video of their commercials for that brand of whisky should be OK.

moriond

Carried my Navy Parapack/Iberian Synapse 19 in the city all day; was reading "The Inner Voice: The Making of a Singer" by Renée Fleming. While I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art I picked up "The Gothic Enterprise: A Guide to Understanding the Medieval Cathedral" by Robert A. Scott - this caught my eye because I just finished Ken Follett's "World Without End"

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Sorry.... what does that mean? Is there more to the story then was published in English?
    I have to say, that was one of the most confusing books I have ever read. I stuck with it to the end, and I still have no idea what any of it was supposed to be about. To this day I get angry every time I see that book in a store.
    I think JLE was replying to jmoz's comment about currently reading Murakami in the "me too" statement. AFAIK there is no book 4, although there are rumors of same. The original 1Q84 was published as a 3-volume work in Japan. There's always the question of whether texts would be more comprehensible if read in the original language rather than in translation.

KmK
    Carrying Navy parapack/UV large cafe bag with Nordic SE tucked inside. Current reads hitching a ride...54 quizzes on Where the Red Fern Grows and a collection of sonnets by Pablo Neruda...

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think JLE was replying to jmoz's comment about currently reading Murakami in the "me too" statement. AFAIK there is no book 4, although there are rumors of same. The original 1Q84 was published as a 3-volume work in Japan. There's always the question of whether texts would be more comprehensible if read in the original language rather than in translation.
    Yes, I live in hope that a book 4 may someday appear even though one isn't really necessary to complete the narrative arc. I just loved the first three volumes and I am a sucker for a rumour that there could someday be another.

In addition to Moriond's comment about the limitations of reading anything in translation, I have read reviews of some Murakami works by bi-lingual reviewers which have commented that on occasion entire sections of Murakami's works have been omitted from the translation. Of course, confined to English as I am, I can't confirm this and nor can I recall where I read the comment, but it's such a shame if true.

Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, I live in hope that a book 4 may someday appear even though one isn't really necessary to complete the narrative arc. I just loved the first three volumes and I am a sucker for a rumour that there could someday be another.

In addition to Moriond's comment about the limitations of reading anything in translation, I have read reviews of some Murakami works by bi-lingual reviewers which have commented that on occasion entire sections of Murakami's works have been omitted from the translation. Of course, confined to English as I am, I can't confirm this and nor can I recall where I read the comment, but it's such a shame if true.
    @JLE, @Badgerm @bchaplin and others,

I'll just give a link to a specific blog page on Comparing Translations where you can read a comparison of two different translations of Murakami (The beginning of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle – not 1Q84). The more interesting link is to an email roundtable discussion at the Alfred A. Knopf site about translating Murakami. There's also a link to the full article in the Chronicle of Higher Education ("The Mysteries of Translation" by Wendy Lesser, 9/27/2002, Vol. 49 Issue 5, pB7. 3p.) that requires separately academic library or personal access.

The email roundtable discussion references the point that JLE brings up about sections that are either substantially altered or not translated in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. See the second round of questions from Philip Gabriel, Murakami translator and professor of Japanese literature at the University of Arizona in Tucson, to the translator, Jay Rubin.

I'll cut this translation discussion off here, since most forum readers won't find this topic as entertaining as my "Lost In Translation" post above. If you want to read more about general translation topics, you can check the languagehat.com web site. Here are a few recent sample entries that may be of interest:
    • A tour of British Accents “Professional accent and dialect coach Andrew Jack seamlessly switches between the various accents that are scattered across the UK, demonstrating the subtle distinctions between different varieties of English.”
    • Dothraki and Valyrian links to a recent (April 6, 2014) Boston Globe article by Britt Peterson about the task of making up the languages for the HBO productions of Game of Thrones.
    • Pronounce Wisconsin links to the Pronounce Wisconsin "online pronouncing gazetteer of place names in Wisconsin, including counties, cities, villages, and unincorporated communities. Over 1720 place names in Wisconsin can be accessed by simply mousing over the map.”

I figure that this short list at minimum might be of interest to our UK forum members (like @PaulT00) who can abuse the accents in the first item, to @taminca, @Melissa, and any other Game of Thrones followers, who may want to know how the invented Dothraki and Valyrian words get made up (and thanks to @taminca for reminding me that I should replace my old Audible audiobook version of George R.R. Martin's "A Feast of Crows" read by John Lee in 2006 with the version that Roy Dotrice recorded at the end of 2011), and @Badger who can now point everyone to a web site on how to correctly pronounce names of places in Wisconsin. (Although I like the link to the alternative MissPronouncer.com site).

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-20-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0