Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just to clarify: I am not talking about getting a refurbished Mac (although I have done that before); I am talking about getting a refurbished iOS device: either an iPad Mini or an iPod Touch.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    You might therefore have issues with scenario #3 - note that taminca has an iPad, not an iPod, and the screen size makes a big difference to how apps look and behave.
    Actually, I do have an iPod but have not used it for this purpose. I have used an iPhone to access iCloud documents for editing in Keynote and Numbers. It is not fun because of the small screen size, but it is doable. This was back before I got my Mobile Hot Spot device so my iPhone was some times the only way I had iCloud access. It only took several times for me to decide to invest in a Verizon JetPack.
    Last edited by taminca; 04-03-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: iPhone used not iPod.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I'd like to rephrase my original concern to see how folks will respond to it:

Let's assume that I bought a refurb late-model iPod Touch from Apple-direct. (They're available; believe me)

Now, let's say I sat before my late-2012 iMac, fired it up, and launched Keynote 5.3 / 2009. (Which is what I now have on it.) I compose a presentation. Through whatever means, I load it onto my newly-purchased iPod Touch. I go to a business meeting with my iPod and video adaptors, hook them up to a projector, and launch Keynote for iOS (which I assume would either be included or available for free download because I just bought the iPod). The presentation should work, right? If I play it safe with the fonts, avoid lavish FX, and just make a nice, professional-looking presentation, I can present it, finish the job, unplug, and take my iPod and adaptors home in my coat-pocket without any fuss or risk to more valuable computer equipment, right?

The sounds like a reasonable scenario, doesn't it?

The only thing I don't like about the above scenario is that the iPod Touch is small, so it's not the best thing if you were traveling and wanted to check e-mail of do any web-browsing or anything like that. It's not meant to be a productivity device, more of a playback device. The iPod Touch is small, and the other big disadvantage is if you're meeting with only one or two people (no projector necessary) and you have to show your slides to them directly on the iPod.

I could go the iPad Mini route, of course. It's much larger, so one-on-one presentations would be a (relative) breeze. It would also be nicer to check e-mail / browse the web, etc. You could even compose text for messages, light word processing, artwork, etc. But a similar refurb iPad Mini (non-retina) is at least $120 more expensive, before accessories. That would stretch my current budget to its limit. While the size of the iPad Mini would be an asset for presentation or productivity and entertainment tasks, I feel it would be a significant negative when it comes to using it as a camera. No way to discreetly snap photos with that thing.

So the big questions in my mind right now are (1: can either device work to play presentations in this scenario? and (2: which is going to offer me more value for the money?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

One little factoid is dangling here... don't know if it applies... but during the Oct. 2013 keynote when Apple publicly unveiled the new iWork, iLife, new Mac Pro tower, etc., they specifically said that the new iWork for MacOS and iOS would be "free with the purchase of any new Mac or iOS device". ( @ 56:00 into the keynote movie)

I just visited the Apple web-store (U.S.) and inquired via chat. The employee that answered ("Ross") said thusly:

Those refurbished products are still considered purchased post October 2013, and therefore are fully eligible for that.
    (my emphasis)

and also...

You absolutely would get those free. When you tap the App Store for the first time, a pop up will appear asking you if you want to go ahead and download those apps for free now, or save it for later.
    So if you buy refurb Apple gear from Apple's web-store, it is considered "new" and does carry the iWork and iLife "freebie" promise for customers.

A little follow-up to Badger's concerns. My conception of any iOS device is multi-purpose. I can think of numerous things I would do with it, showing slides being just one of many tasks for it. If I bought an iPod Touch, it would definitely be used as a camera. Before I received an SLR as a birthday gift in 2011, I never used anything but point-and-shoots. I carried them with me constantly, for work and for play. I took photos of project sites at work, I shot recreational trails volunteer work projects, family photos, scenic vistas, wildlife, you name it. A pocketable iPod Touch would make that very easy to do, and share personal photos to Instagram and Facebook.

As for the presentations aspect, you that is very important... for both business and personal presentations. But there would be many other (important) uses. (including music playing)

I am still very torn between the possibility of buying the iPod and the iPad. By "value", I wasn't meaning resale. I was meaning how useful, durable and reliable it would be for me. I kid you not: I currently own a first-generation 5-gigabyte iPod... the kind with a FireWire connection. The battery is slowly going south but it and the rest of the device still works. I have no idea if Apple's newest iOS hardware is as good, but if it comes close, and if it is as versatile of the "Stevenotes" of the last several years have suggested, then it amazes me that people aren't even more astounded by these devices.

Both devices can be used for your stated purposes. For me, the iPad mini would be/is a better choice and value. The extra screen real estate would be much better in your use cases for presentations ( as well as the other things you would use it for). Using it as a camera is a bit problematic. That said, I have seen plenty of folks using full size iPads (and other tablets) for photos - looks odd but it works. One thing to keep in mind is that it looks like apple may be phasing out the iPods. There have been no new models for at least a year and no talk of new ones. As such any iPod you get may have problems as they update the OS as time goes on. Both the iPod and iPad are durable and with normal use and care should last for a goodly length of time.

There is one weird wrinkle in this tangled web. My iMac and the old Macbook currently share the same iPhoto library (52,000+ photos) on one of those ultra-portable hard drives. This means that I cannot upgrade the iMac's Keynote beyond version 5.3 (iWork 2009). How, you ask? If I wanted to upgrade to the latest iWork apps on the iMac, iWork 2013's apps require MacOS 10.9 Mavericks. If I upgraded to Mavericks, I would have to upgrade not only iWork but also iLife. I cannot upgrade iLife right now because of our shared iPhoto library; iPhoto on both the MacBook and the iMac must remain the same in order for it to work. So my MacOS, iLife and iWork are frozen in the spiderweb until we can afford to replace the MacBook with a new machine. (Not gonna happen right away.)

So, for now, my iMac is stuck on Keynote 5.3 (iWork 2009) and MacOS 10.8. I guess the big question left is this: if I create a slideshow on my iMac (in Keynote 5.3) and export it to an iPod Touch or iPad Mini, will the iOS device be able to open up (for playback) the Keynote file I first made on the iMac?

This may seem like I'm making a mountain out of molehill, but I'm being very cautious about this.

There's another question that's in my head...

With an iPhoto library of over 52,000 photos, I would obviously not be hauling the entire "digital shoebox" around on an iPad or iPod. (The library is about 100 GB and counting.) One of the reasons I have been asking about Keynote is that many of my presentations involve all-photo or mostly-photo slideshows. (I can show people a past project, concern or event through a series of pictures.) Since using iPhoto for iOS is out of the question (is it?), I assume Keynote is the way to go. Any comments on this?

FWIW, I have an iPhone and iPad but they have very different uses. The iPhone is my "take everywhere" device - camera, social media and so on. The iPad is much more focused on productivity (plus entertainment for long distance travel). Neither is a substitute for the other, and each has its own strengths - you have to decide where your priorities lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Let's assume I go ahead and buy an iPad Mini. I would likely buy a refurb with WiFi-only and at least 32 gigabytes of storage.

If I wanted to assemble a basic "kit" of all the necessities that would make it possible to use the Mini for both home use (entertainment, using iPad as a construction calculator, quick web-browsing/checking weather radar) and for business use (presentations in-person, presentations to groups, using iPad as a construction calculator, checking e-mail, quick web-browsing/checking weather radar, etc.) said "kit" might include certain items:

• Tom Bihn Cache
    • Maybe an Apple iPad cover
    • Power Charging Adaptor
    • USB / Lightning cable
    • adaptors for connecting to HDTV / digital projector
    • ear buds

Can anyone suggest additional basic items? What about a basic list of A/V adaptors?

The iPad will come with a lightning-to-USB cable and power unit, but a spare cable is always handy (e.g. to keep plugged into your computer for syncing with iTunes). They come in several lengths.

I always put screen protectors on my iOS devices, not just for protection but because I dislike the high reflectivity of the bare glass. I then don't bother with a cover per se - my iPad's screen gets plenty of protection from the Logitech keyboard, which clips on magnetically (like the standard smart cover).

The iPad + keyboard even fits inside a TB cache - it's tight, but since the whole unit is smooth metal & plastic, it slides in pretty easily.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

What about A/V? If I carried an iPad Mini with me to multiple venues and I always wanted to bring along a "connection kit" in case I needed to give an presentation on an HDTV or a projector, what would be the best selection of connectors to carry in a standard kit? (Maybe I might use my own projector, or maybe I might use someone else's TV or projector.)

Where I work, we mainly have VGA and DVI cables on projectors, and possibly some HDMI in the newer meeting rooms that have huge TV screens - I don't know what else is common around the world, as I don't travel for work very much. If no-one else has answers I can ask our training staff, as they go lots of places and have to work with whatever equipment the host institute provides.
    Collections:

I also would include a DVI adapter to be safe and a mini power strip - there are never enough outlets. I use something called outlets to go - made by Monster, about 4-5 inches long with 4 outlets. I am not sure this particular one is still available but there are lots of comparable ones on the market for minimal cost.

This leads to an interesting question: I assume Apple sells connector/adaptors for the iPad. I would guess that there are iPad-ready connector/adaptors for VGA and HDMI. (I have no idea about DVI, but it seems, superficially, like a good possibility.) If I bought a refurb non-"retina" iPad Mini from Apple right now, would it use the same connector/adaptor as a brand-new iPad Mini Retina would use? And is Apple the only place to find these kinds of connector/adaptors, or are they also available aftermarket?

What about an AppleTV device? Would that be a good addition to a kit, or just an extra?

I may have just made a connection with something that simplifies things considerably!

In ScottE22's video on his packing of the Synapse 25 for business, at 1:45 into the presentation Scott mentions some items he keeps in his Tom Bihn Snake Charmer utility pouch. He mentions network cables, an HDMI cable, and some kind of adaptor that allows him to plug an AppleTV device into a digital projector. It sounds like he says "Connex" or "Kinnex" or "Connects", but I cannot be sure.

As I am considering the purchase of an iPad Mini for facilitating ultra-portable presentations on-the-road, I was very intrigued by this. Does anyone know what adaptor Scott is referring to, and where I can price/purchase one? I may private-message Scott directly if nobody else knows. This prospect really intrigues me, as I have been thinking seriously about assembling a mobile presentation connectivity kit for this purpose.

So far, the "mobile office" backpack manifest seems to include these items:

• Apple iPad Mini
    • AppleTV device
    • network cables (presumably pre-fab RJ45 / Ethernet)
    • HDMI cable
    • Scott's mystery adaptor for connecting an AppleTV to a projector
    • Lightning-to-USB cables
    • USB-to-microUSB cables
    • various chargers and other doodads
    • Apple laptop and MyFi (optional)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0