Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does Tom Bihn really exist and what does he look like?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Scansion is the term used to describe the reading of a poem for its meter. I will hazard that moriond was saying that the final line breaks the meter established by the opening line, which draws from the familiar limerick form (there once was a man from Nantucket). Limericks are in five line anapestic meter, which means that two short syllables are followed by one long syllable. The fifth (final) line of a limerick should have either nine (e.g., ending with "Nantucket") or eight (ending with "Tom Bihn") syllables. With 11 syllables, the final line of your ditty breaks from the traditional eight syllable, anapestic form. Note too that the first, second, and fifth lines should rhyme with each other, so the last two syllables of your poem should rhyme with "Tom Bihn." So, "Huck Finn" would make rhyming sense, but is nowhere near as clever as Eddie Bauer, which I really liked (bags, Seattle connection, perfect comparison and yet comically random). So while it doesn't scan properly, it's still pretty freaking funny.

And THAT, friends, is what multiple degrees in English can do for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the English lesson, Badger! I love it!

The final line does break from the meter established by the opening line. But it isn't random - Tom did say he would change his name to Eddie Bauer...
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Thank you for the English lesson, Badger! I love it!

The final line does break from the meter established by the opening line. But it isn't random - Tom did say he would change his name to Eddie Bauer...
    Whoa. Mind blown. Well done, sir.

I also meant to say that the Black Bag reference was, more or less, amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Just wanted to say that @Badger nailed it. I was being a Smart Alec about the meter of "Eddie Bauer". Loved @maverick's response by linking to the thread where Tom mentioned that if he got tired of the notoriety, he'd probably change his name to "Eddie Bauer". Well, I did comment, in that linked thread, that I though "Tom" sounded more euphonious than "Eddie".

For anyone else wondering about whether there are "Tom Bihn" sock puppets running around the forums, I refer you to the early Carry-On Traveller's bag thread from January 2005, which was the original bag request that ultimately produced the Aeronaut. Tom's responses and questions are interleaved with those of forum members. @eristick started the thread, and both @maverick and I are among the early posters.

There are a number of interesting features of this early thread. All the casual side discussions of features (like my wanting to use a comfortable strap, like the Absolute Strap) were implemented. The side discussions with regard to other bags, also got implemented (vis: the slight weakness in the earlier ID Bag strap slippage: they also made it possible to use a redesigned ID Bag with an Absolute Strap, and sold "Cheater D rings" (see the Parts section) so we could retrofit our older model ID Bags, SuperEgos, etc. to use the Absolute Strap. And my wistful comment about wanting the strap to be curved for a better fit to my shoulder was later adopted in the 2009 redesign of the Absolute Strap. (I wish I could link directly to the web site's own Blog post covering the event, but in any case, here's @maverick's video: )

Yes, Virginia, there is a Tom Bihn.

moriond

Ken
    I have been buying products directly for the past 11 years, and I am led to believe that "Tom Bihn" is a bit like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

--Ken
    haraya likes this.

Badger, your analysis is keen and pithy (as usual), and illustrates that the superb contributions of English degrees remain largely unpaid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0