Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GoToob and other small liquid containers

GoToob and other small liquid containers

I saw GoToob mentioned here once.

http://www.rei.com/product/781800/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-7818000015&humangear-gotoob-bottle-125-fl-oz,-clear&preferredSku=7818000015&mr:trackingCode=B098 071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adTyp e=pla&mr:ad=44272128280&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:f ilter=61471046560&msid=vQsPvxyk_dc|pcrid|442721282 80|&{copy:s_kwcid}#reviewsTab

However the reviews seem to suggest that the caps and hinges break like crazy.

Anyone have experience with this particular product that can comment?

Also, any alternatives?

I saw these nalgene recommended somewhere, and from the reviews alone, and the price, the seem to be better...
    Nalgene Polyethylene Bottle - 2 fl. oz. at REI.com

I prefer the nalgene bottles to go toob ones as they are far less bulky. However, go toob does make some little lidded pots that are the perfect size for storing small amounts of heavy body cream, even toothpaste. I haven't had problems with lids but haven't really put them thru heavy paces either.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Sea to Summit

The 89ml is the size I use, fits enough face cleanser for a couple of weeks away and easily refillable upon returning home. The lid screws on tight and there is a small insert in the top which helps you squeeze out small amounts at a time. I omit this insert for the hair conditioner and body butter, both are thicker consistency. Three of these bottles fit easily into my clear organizer cube with space to spare for mascara, moisturiser, cheek tint, lip gloss and liquid make up.

Agree with reviews about the go toob, the hinges were not sturdy enough to keep using, plus I bought them empty, which now seems funny since the Sea to Summit at least come filled with some sort of product

I've refilled the Sea to Summit bottles at least a dozen times and all are still in great condition. They offer a 40ml size however the plastic bottle is slightly stiffer, harder to get the product out so the size saving wasn't important to me.

I have been using the smallest GoToobs for a couple of years and like them quite a bit.

They have a nice tactile feel, and I haven't had any issues with leaks or cracked hinges (even with ones I have dropped a couple of times).

That said, they may not be for everyone, and they certainly aren't for everything.

Most of the 1- and 2-star rants on sites like Amazon seem to come from folks who have unwittingly filled them with liquids that react with silicone.

A bunch of common toiletry items don't play well with silicone, so the manufacturer recommends overnight testing before use (and stresses that they aren't designed for long-term storage of liquids).

Here's humangear's statement about non-recommended items from their www site:

"While the range of chemicals used in modern cosmetic and personal care products makes comprehensive compatibility testing impossible, we have consistently noticed problems with the following chemical groups/product types and recommend against using them in GoToobs:

-Alcohols (Note: Alcohols may be present in many cosmetic products, including make-up remover, mouth wash, astringent, hair serum, aftershave, and insect repellent).

-Salicylic Acid (most often used in acne treatments).

-Hair serums and treatments (detangers, relaxers, volumizers, polishers, smoothers, shine serums, etc.) including shampoos and conditioners designed to add shine or luster to hair. Products with Argan Oil (like Moroccan Hair oil) are definitely not recommended.

-Silicone-based lubricants.

-DEET-based insect repellent.

-Hydrogen Peroxide.

-Sterile products (Note: Even though sterile products may be fully compatible with silicone, GoToobs are not sterilized. Therefore, we don't recommend GoToobs for use with fluids where sterilization may be an issue, such as contact lens solution. This includes liquid or semi-liquid prescription medications.).

-Caustic, corrosive, or flammable products. (Many household chemicals are sold in specifically designed plastic or glass containers specified by the manufacturer and should never be decanted. GoToobs were designed for personal care or food items you may need while traveling--not bleach, drain cleaner, fire-starters, or hydrochloric acid.)"
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 03-26-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

I've never had problems with GoToobs and I use my shower gel one almost daily. I didn't find it a problem that it came empty since I'm quite particular about the toiletries I pack with me (but not particular if a hotel is providing them for free; go figure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tCook likes this.

dlg
    I've never had trouble with my gootoobs, except that it annoys me they can't spell "Tube".

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    I've never had trouble with my gootoobs, except that it annoys me they can't spell "Tube".
    Very little irritates me more than "Klean Kanteen." It's those Ks, man.

I used to hate gotoobs until I figured out that there's a little trick that makes the lids stay put. When I would refill it, I'd usually take the whole top bit off and put it back on again as one piece. That's no good. Once I started just unscrewing the lid part and leaving the ring around the tube, I had a much more secure fit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use gotoobs for cetaphil and for California Baby shampoo. These products don't seem to leak but I am careful to wipe the tubes dry after each use. There is a little residue right under the lid but I live with that.

I don't think there is a perfect travel container.

I've been using gotoobs for several years without any problems with the hinges. Prior to the gotoobs I was using pitotubes. They also worked great but I found that refilling them was too much of a pain. The pitotubes, however, probably have the best design for travel tubes. They used to have a website but I can't seem to find it anymore... maybe they went out of business but from what I can tell they can still be had online from a few places.

Here's a review of the pitotubes that I found...

Review: Pitotubes TSA Friendly Bottles - Her Packing List

I've not had problems with gotoobs leaking, but I have had problems with them reacting with their contents. Plus, they're really bulky. Mine are sitting around unused, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I've not had problems with gotoobs leaking, but I have had problems with them reacting with their contents. Plus, they're really bulky. Mine are sitting around unused, these days.
    What do you use instead that is less bulky? I find that the gotoobs aren't too bulky. They fit in my clear organizer cube almost perfectly. I usually travel with two of them. One for shampoo and another for soap.

tangfj, based on the following forum thread (Toiletries), I picked up some small Squeezie tubes for both my facial sunscreen and lotion. They've worked well for me so far for short trips. I have very short hair and can get away with using bar soap as shampoo (as long as I pack my own).

i have a couple of gotoobs, but i still favor the polyethylene nalgene bottles. there are times of year that i don't travel much, and during one of those tmies, i had an incident of lotion drying up inside the gotoob, which is A Bear to then have to clean out, let me tell ya. never had a single issue with the nalgene guys, and i have been mostly using the same set for probably upwards of a decade now.

on the other hand, the gotubbs rule and i have no gripes whatsoever about those.

I have had no problems with the hinges. I did have to warn my Daughter about the way she was opening her tubes. If you are not careful to grab hold of the knurled ring you can grab the flip top. Any significant twist there and the hinge is a goner.

We have probably 10 of them in the family some 2+ years old with no hinge failures and no leaks.

YMMV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0