Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Ice Breaker what?

Ice Breaker what?

I hear people talking about Ice Breaker tshirts all over these forums.

Is this what people are talking about?

Drifter Short Sleeve Crewe - Icebreaker (US)
    eWalker likes this.

Yes! Note that most Icebreaker products come in multiple weights. You can get heavier weight baselayers for winter and lighter ones for other seasons, which is nice if you live in or travel to areas that experience extreme shifts in temperature with the changing of the seasons.

Merino wool is remarkable stuff. It resists odors, washes up easily by hand, and dries quickly. It's also long-lasting, so you shouldn't have to replace your expensive shirts for several years (I have merino wool socks that are going strong after over 6 years of use).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own a bunch of Icebreaker stuff. The quality is top notch and I've never had a problem with anything I've purchased. The lightweight long sleeve shirts are great for layering and the t shirts are good for hiking or other physical activities where you don't want cotton weighing you down.

Icebreaker t-shirts are now my go to hiking and travel shirts in both hot and cold climates.
    Aside what was said above they come in v neck as well as crew neck versions.
    Keep in mind that they also divide their models into an athletic (tighter fitting) and a relaxed fit.
    From my experience I need to go to the next size up when ordering the athletic version.

Note,
    Cold water wash and hang dry.
    I don't use after softners as well.

I'm a big fan of merino wool clothing - it's really true what people say about it not getting stinky! Okay, okay, I usually have to wash my merino shirts after about three days (of walking four miles a day).

That said, I have a slight preference for Ibex over Icebreaker - I find their fabric to be a bit softer (Icebreaker is still very wearable, though, and I have pretty sensitive skin), and I also like their styles (for women) a bit better. Prices are comparable (look for end of season sales for good deals). Also, keep your eyes open for merino sweaters at more traditional retailers - check for quality (not all merino is made equal), but these are going to get you a lot further than cotton or (ugh) acrylic sweaters.

I use Icebreaker and Ibex a great deal; as well as some Patagonia Merino wool baselayers (these have polyester in them and therefore can be washed and dried more easily). I have to say I did not believe in all the hype about Icebreaker and Ibex baselayers, until I recently had to use their lightest weight camisole and leggings under my dress clothes--for an interview ---where the high was -10F!!! It kept me really warm, did not mess up my dress clothes, and I did not have to struggle to fit my current pants over them--as with some other long johns! They were truly amazing; and once inside a warm building, they did not over heat. I have their lightest weight ones--they are incredibly good. I love the Patagonia and Ibex more for mid and outer layers--for cold weather running, walking, and hiking.

I have some Ibex and Smartwool, and I like them both. I just randomly picked up some lightweight merino wool sweaters over the w/e at J Crew of all places - they were on the clearance rack marked $60.00 with an extra 40% off, which is a great deal for merino. Not sure how they'll wear yet, though. I'm using them on my upcoming trip.

J Crew is my go-to for work clothing, and I've found the merino to be decent. It's not a smooth nap the way technical wools are, and you certainly wouldn't want to wear it the way you would a technical wool t-shirt, but they look really good and hold up quite well, especially if you don't dry clean them too often. The lifespan on my J Crew sweaters is somewhere in the 4-8 year range, and I definitely wear them when I travel.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pegolas View Post
    I have some Ibex and Smartwool, and I like them both. I just randomly picked up some lightweight merino wool sweaters over the w/e at J Crew of all places - they were on the clearance rack marked $60.00 with an extra 40% off, which is a great deal for merino. Not sure how they'll wear yet, though. I'm using them on my upcoming trip.
    I need to find those clearance racks, haha! I'm interested in Merino, Ibex, Icebreaker, etc. but it definitely hurts the wallet.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

I recently found some fabulous deals for Icebreaker and Smartwool (not much Ibex) on Sierra Trading Post. Sign up for the DealFlyer and you'll get even better savings. 6pm.com has some good deals, too.

I dried my recent Icebreaker purchase on low and it shrunk as I expected. I actually bought a size up and knew I would eventually mess up and dry it, so I just went ahead and dried it on low. Now it fits perfectly! I imagine it'll keep shrinking if I do it again, though. Does anyone have any experience with that? My Smartwool never shrunk at all when I dried it. I haven't tried Ibex yet, but am hawking the sales now . . .
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

So are the tshirts "nice" and normal looking enough that you could wear them in a big city with jeans or shorts and not look out of place? Or are they more of a hiking or working out sort of look?

Thanks for the tips. Going to check out Sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    So are the tshirts "nice" and normal looking enough that you could wear them in a big city with jeans or shorts and not look out of place? Or are they more of a hiking or working out sort of look?

Thanks for the tips. Going to check out Sierra.
    They look like expensive, upscale T-shirts... They have that nice, slightly fitted look.
    eWalker likes this.

I've been wearing merino wool going on forty years. The early stuff... scratchy and itchy.

Out of the myriad of Smartwool, Ibex and Icebreaker gear that I have... and its probably over twenty five pieces...

My favorites are the Ultra fine 140 Tee from Icebreaker and the 260 Tech Zip from Icebreaker. The former for traveling and the latter for colder weather.

Got to mention Darn Tough merino wool socks too! These are the best socks I've ever worn... better than Smartwool, Bridgedale, Thorlo... etc.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    Got to mention Darn Tough merino wool socks too! These are the best socks I've ever worn... better than Smartwool, Bridgedale, Thorlo... etc.
    I hadn't heard of these before. I've been disappointed with my last few pairs of Smartwool socks. (Why are there sharp corners on the toe end of the sock?) I'll give the Darn Tough "lifestyle" socks a try.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I hadn't heard of these before. I've been disappointed with my last few pairs of Smartwool socks. (Why are there sharp corners on the toe end of the sock?) I'll give the Darn Tough "lifestyle" socks a try.
    I wear their heavy boot socks, quarter running socks and low cut running socks all in merino wool.

Go to socksaddict.com as their prices and service are excellent.

You can also read the reviews there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0