Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Ice Breaker what?

I always wear the wool layer next to skin - in winter, and now in summer too! We've been enjoying temps in the mid-80's and 90's, and wool (the lighter weights - 150 for Icebreaker gear, or the equivalent in Ibex) is very comfortable. I even won over my skeptical husband -I got him some shirts in the latest sale, and theyve been in heavy rotation this week.

In hot weather I'll wear a merino T-shirt or tank alone, over my usual undergarments (sport bra for workouts, regular one if not). Occasionally I'll throw on a button down shirt for sun coverage, but since I don't yet own a merino button down, that ends up getting sticky.

For cold weather, I layer merino like crazy: tee or tank, then L/S hoody, and if need be a mid weight zip-up jacket. But yes, the key for me is to give the wool a chance to wick away the moisture, which only happens next to skin.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    I'm new to the merino wool and base layer thing. I tried some poly blend shirts but didn't work well for me. How do you wear it, as a base or main? I usually use a tank top and then a t shirt (usually cotton or polyblend). Should I try something else as I would assume wearing a cotton tank top and then an ibex shirt on top would defeat the purpose correct? Thanks.
    Last edited by haraya; 08-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.

My icebreaker Bliss wrap arrived today. Ladies, you need this. If you can find it for $100 or less with shipping (amazon!) get one. I ended up getting the medium and I love the fit. The arms are a littler longer but cozy and can be cuffed up. I did not realized that the sash is attached to the front wrap parts (does that make sense?) but it makes it possible to tie it in a couple ways. It also has a button, 2 button holes to adjust the drape, 2 finished openings to thread the ties through like a wrap top, at the sides; and snack pockets! It's light but very warm. It layered over my icebreaker short sleeve tee with no bunching at the arms/shoulders.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I agree, I have it in black and it's a very versatile piece. The arms are long. It's fantastic for tall folk but not over the top for everyone else. I think I got it on coupon, maybe shoebuy.

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    My icebreaker Bliss wrap arrived today. Ladies, you need this. If you can find it for $100 or less with shipping (amazon!) get one. I ended up getting the medium and I love the fit. The arms are a littler longer but cozy and can be cuffed up. I did not realized that the sash is attached to the front wrap parts (does that make sense?) but it makes it possible to tie it in a couple ways. It also has a button, 2 button holes to adjust the drape, 2 finished openings to thread the ties through like a wrap top, at the sides; and snack pockets! It's light but very warm. It layered over my icebreaker short sleeve tee with no bunching at the arms/shoulders.
    Glad you like it!

YES I have so much love for the Bliss wrap. It's probably my favorite item of clothing I own, period. Walks the perfect line of stylish and functional!

Mine arrives tomorrow! I got the blue and white stripe. I wanted the black too, but I waited too long and it sold out on shoeBuy (they were having 20% off). I did, however, get my first Ibex shirt today! Fits perfectly-not even too long for my petite frame.

Ice Breaker what?

I missed out on the ibex sale items 😞. Went to add another item to cart and they both sold out. Will try again next time that I know about them now.

I will get one tomorrow...you ladies are terrible! lol I love long sleeves....keeps my hands warm too.

I had a Bihniption (a spending conniption) during the Ibex & Icebreaker sales and couldn't pass up the reversible Crave Cardigan for 50% off.

Now that I have t's in both brands, I agree with the previous comment that the Ibex is slightly softer out of the box. With a stockpile of Darn Tough & Icebreaker socks, I'll never go back to cotton. Revolutionary. It's easy to see how just a few pieces of merino garmets can cut packable items in half while traveling, and their performance during physcial activity is way better than other fabric options.

Moisture Management
    Merino fibre can absorb up to 35 percent of its dry weight in moisture vapour. Therefore, in hot climates or during strenuous exercise, a Merino garment close to the skin actively transfers moisture vapour molecules away from the body.

Temperature Control
    Merino fibre has a natural crimp, which provides Merino garments with superior insulation and breathability. Merino garments protect the wearer from the extremes, keeping the wearer warm when the outside temperature is cold, yet cool when the temperature is hot.

Shape Retention
    Merino fibre has a natural elasticity meaning it stretches with the wearer, and then returns to its natural shape. This means there is less chance of Merino garments sagging or losing their shape.

Odour Control
    Merino fibre is able to absorb, then lock into the fibre, the smell created when sweat degrades. Merino garments therefore remain fresher for longer, even after vigorous exercise, and become cleaner when washed.

Easy Care
    Merino fibres have a natural protective layer that prevents stains from being absorbed, and they do not readily attract dust due to them being less prone to static build-up. Recent innovationsalso mean that many Merino products can be machine-washed and tumble-dried.

UV protection
    Merino fibres naturally absorb UV radiation offering protection to wearers of Merino garments when exposed to sunlight.
    vivelly likes this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Volunteer Moderator
    I missed out on the ibex sale items 😞. Went to add another item to cart and they both sold out. Will try again next time that I know about them now.
    You can try calling the Ibex Seattle Store directly at (206) 525-0364 when that happens to check whether they have the item you want. I had exactly your experience of using the web site and having sale items disappear in my size before I could get through check out, so I called the Seattle Store directly and asked whether they had the product and color I wanted in stock, and they did. @chrisc983, we're clearly not practiced enough web site sale buyers or else there are more people than we think aggressively shopping for these Ibex items! There's also the Ibex Boston store, but the time difference works in favor of the Seattle Store, and they seem to have more than one store in the area.

HTH moriond

I purchased an Ibex W2 Sport T at the Seattle shop this week, and after taking it for a run in warm weather, I definitely recommend it as an incredibly soft and lightweight wool T for aerobic activity. It seems to have a slightly more athletic fit than the U Sixty shirts, so I did move up to a medium from my normal size small. One last thing, since it is a super lightweight shirt, it is a bit more sheer than the normal Ibex T-shirts.
    RhoFro likes this.

I checked icebreaker's website and it looks like the style, colors, and sizes I was looking for in ibex are still in stock. The question is which is the better brand. From what I've been reading it sounds like ibex is? I believe I read also that ibex is made in USA as well?

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    you had me at snack pockets!

I checked icebreaker's website and it looks like the style, colors, and sizes I was looking for in ibex are still in stock. The question is which is the better brand. From what I've been reading it sounds like ibex is? I believe I read also that ibex is made in USA as well?
    I would opt for Ibex. However, I did have to return 1 Icebreaker item for size and returns are free so no hassle if you don't like it.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0