Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Ice Breaker what?

Quote Originally Posted by yeb90 View Post
    If other wool makes me itchy will the merino clothing such as Ibex and Icebreaker be itchy too or are they somehow different?
    Some time ago, @nsh was looking for socks and had a similar question (I don't think she was sensitive to wool in general, but was for some reason unsure if wool socks would be comfortable for her to wear). She was persuaded to buy some Smartwool socks and did not find them in the least irritating. But sensitivities vary from person to person.

I would say that if you don't know how you will react, perhaps try a pair of socks since they're on the lower end of the cost spectrum. In general, I have found merino to be more comfortable and soft than Shetland wool, but once again ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Very small hole on the waistband area (you'd have to look for it) -- that, too, doesn't bother me: I want this as a travel layer, not business meetings. Overall, for $20, it's an experiment I'm happy to do.
    If you don't feel like darning it, I have had success using tricot (stretchy jersey-type knit) iron-on patches - on the reverse - to patch small pinholes in my merino. (I'd put a layer of something in between the iron and the wool, and try low heat to begin with.)
    Last edited by haraya; 07-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    alief likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yeb90 View Post
    If other wool makes me itchy will the merino clothing such as Ibex and Icebreaker be itchy too or are they somehow different?
    @yeb90 This question was raised by luvdabags near the end of the Round the World with a Synapse 25 thread. I'll quote the question and my reply, and you can use the links to the quoted remarks to read the discussion in context:
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    so, everyone LOVES the merino wool clothing. i have never seen it in person, and i find all wool sweaters to itch me like CRAZY, while my husband does not have this issue. how do these tshirts rate on the itchy scale?
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I had a chance to see the Ibex Seventeen.5 Merino Wool Tee Shirts in person a couple of weeks ago at their store in Boston, and they are amazingly soft and smooth compared to any of the best all-cotton tees I've tried. I think if you tried these on you would not have been able to register these as itchy at all (or attribute it to being wool based on your skin reaction). Of course, they also list for $85 each! (There are also men's versions of the seventeen.5 tshirts, and there are long-sleeve versions).

As far as I know, Ibex only has stores in Seattle and Boston, and this was my first opportunity to see the fabrics, after buying 1 Ibex jersey (on sale, through the web) that I like very much (after reading the forum posts). I was specifically curious about the texture and potential itchiness of all the different fabrics. The seventeen.5 fabric line was distinctly the best, in that regard. I'd have said that the other light-weight tees were OK (probably not noticeable for anyone who does not find an extreme itching reaction to wool -- but for you, maybe 2 on the scale of 10 being the most itchy), but not as good as this fabric line, which was outstanding.

I can't say anything about the Icebreaker line, because I haven't seen these in person. Maybe you could try an REI store near you? (There aren't any in Hawaii.) HTH.

moriond

P.S. I wouldn't buy these at $85 each, but I might look out for them if they went on sale.

ETA I agree with Aeon's statement, at least about the seventeen.5 quality merino wool used for tshirts:

<quoting won't embed @Aeon's remarks>
    I can tell the difference in itchiness in different grades of Merino wool, but most of these have been very good.
    I'll just add that Icebreaker has a web page listing the location of its stores throughout the U.S. and elsewhere, so you can check for yourself. There just aren't any of their stores in Hawaii.

HTH moriond

Thank you both! Sounds like they would probably be okay for me. I love Smartwool socks and have never had a problem with them itching. It's when I wear a wool sweater or a particular dress I have that is a wool blend that I itch. I suppose a trip to REI may be in order so I can experience the magic myself even if I don't buy right now.

I've stopped tiny holes in our icebreaker shirts from growing with fray check from the fabric store - it comes in a little bottle and keeps the hole from expanding without being too noticeable!

Just wanted to share that Icebreaker is having their semi annual sale right now. Lots of deals to be found! Icebreaker | New Zealand Merino Wool Clothing and Apparel

I'm trying to curb my spending, so I'm enabling *you* to buy something because I can't. Waah!

Edited to add: I didn't have time to go back in the thread, but I see it's still active. Forgive me if the sale has already been posted. :-)
    vivelly likes this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

FYI, even more discounts at Icebreaker now - some things up to 50% off!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Extra Enabler Points to @haraya.

At 50% off now, I couldn't resist trying one of the Icebreaker merino button-fronts: ordered the $135 Departure shirt for $67.

That's still way more than I would usually consider paying for a casual shirt, but for some reason I have no problem rationalizing the expense if it will make traveling a little more pleasant.

(I guess these are the same mental gymnastics that have me trying to rationalize getting an Aeronaut30 even though I clearly don't "need" one. lol)
    moriond and haraya like this.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Co-Pilot (w/Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Aeronaut30 (w/UV), Pilot (w/UV), Western Flyer (w/Iberian)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi), Side Effect (w/Wasabi)

Darn enablers... I, too, succumbed. Thank goodness I do not have to pay for this trip to London.
    haraya likes this.

*evil laugh*

I have to admit, I succumbed too. For basics, basics! Considering half the clothing I brought on this trip is Icebreaker, I know I'll use it. (I'm also hoping Ibex will put summer stuff on deep discount, but no luck yet.)

Ibex does have winter stuff (from last year I think) on mega clearance-- 20 percent off the sale prices. I bought two skirts, a dress and two tops for winter/conference travel later this year....

I am not happy that I was FORCED to go back and pick up a few shirts due to this 50% off notice. Forced, I tell you!

But I was so thrilled with the Ibex W2 which had a test drive in yoga today that I'm a merino convert. So glad I tried those Darn Tough socks to get 'my feet wet' with merino. My new motto - Cotton is Rotten! At least for the gym. How great to stay dry and comfortable; I never would have guessed wool is the way.
    moriond and haraya like this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

(I'm also hoping Ibex will put summer stuff on deep discount, but no luck yet.)
    Up to 50% off on Ibex summer stuff now!
    haraya likes this.

I'm new to the merino wool and base layer thing. I tried some poly blend shirts but didn't work well for me. How do you wear it, as a base or main? I usually use a tank top and then a t shirt (usually cotton or polyblend). Should I try something else as I would assume wearing a cotton tank top and then an ibex shirt on top would defeat the purpose correct? Thanks.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

(That is: thank you. Or rather: my pocketbook does not thank you. )

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Up to 50% off on Ibex summer stuff now!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0