Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Ice Breaker what?

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    Here's the Tech T from Icebreaker that I was talking about. The men's weight has been slightly raised from 140 to 150. I haven't double checked the woman's.

I look for these on sale from backcountry.com moosejaw.com, travelcountry.com and other vendors. The prices have risen from $50.00 to $70.00

I used to buy the tees on sale from $38.00 to $42.00 I loaded up on 'em at these prices as these are phenomenal travel Tees, comfortable, lightweight, resist odors, wash and dry quickly.

Very highly recommended!
    Just got a couple of the lightweight (150) Merino items from Icebreaker -- a Tech T and a Tech Polo -- and they are indeed fantastic!

FYI for anyone considering trying them, there's currently a 30% off sale at Icebreaker.

Those prices are being matched at Amazon and other vendors, so you can find the Tech T in just about any color for $50 (vs the usual $70). Still not cheap, of course, but a little less painful.

I found the Tech Polo on sale at Campsaver for $39 -- a significant discount off the usual $105 price.

While I don't usually wear short-sleeved pullovers, I will make an exception for this one -- it is easily the best polo I've ever owned.

Even in the super-humid 95F temps here, it breathes, remains comfortable, and doesn't hold onto odors like cotton does. (The black Merino does hold onto pet fur like a magnet, though!)

Both are so lightweight that I'm still being a little cautious to avoid snagging them on anything. Hoping they will prove durable, because they are going to make it very hard to go back to cotton.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

That's awesome! I love these end of season deals. I snagged another villa dress in cruise for $26 on amazon, and a tech tee for €30 on amazon.de I have a couple of the tech polos and they are fantastic. They have been holding up all summer. I wore the tech tee on a hike with the toddler in a backpack, in 80-some degree weather, and although I was working hard, the tee was very breathable and dried quickly.

Am I the only one ready for summer to be over so I can deck myself out in wool? I just finished a pair of fingerless mitts and a headband/ear warmer out of my handspun merino wool and I can't wait to wear them.

oh flaneuse I love spinning merino too...I mix it with my Angora fibre I get from my bunnies and its heaven, sometimes I mix in some silk too.
    I never tried Icebreaker before I read about it here on the forum..and its even local to me made with wool from Merino farmers from High Country Stations on the South Island of New Zealand.
    I always got merino thermals from Kathmandu stores which is cheaper, but I found them scratchy and they pilled a lot...but when I bought my first icebreaker baselayer tshirt I knew what everyone was talking about. I never thought I could wear merino against the skin..even the finest merino...but icebreaker feels like silk. Once you wear it you dont want to go back to anything else...so I am very slowly expanding my icebreaker items.

I too just purchased an Icebreaker Tech T and a polo shirt!

Goodwill... I've purchased many merino items there. Too many.

Other brands for people to consider:

LL Bean carries mid-weight merino baselayers called Cresta that are less expensive.

Endura Baa... I got mine at backcountry.com but a google search will turn up a couple other options.

Stoic - backcountry.com has merino under their own brand name

Nau brand. I got an M2 hoody on clearance at backcountry.com

RAB - MeCo blend clothing ---

Rab® MeCo fabrics combine 65% ethically sourced Australian merino wool with 35% recycled polyester with Cocona® technology. The two yarns are intimately blended to produce a high performance fabric that offers all the natural benefits of warmth, softness and odour protection of merino wool, but with the added performance of Cocona® technologies. This produces a garment that dries 5 times faster and offers increased odour protection over 100% merino fabrics.

Red Ram at sierratrading.com

And there's Minuss 33. No microweight which is great for hot and humid climates, but there is lightweight, midweight, etc. And significantly less miney than Icebreaker or Smartwool.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

For anyone with Icebreaker experience: The time as come for me to purchase a merino t-shirt (after loving my recent acquisition of DT socks). I'm looking at the Icebreaker Tec T Lite since we see more warm weather in the south than anything, and the wicking is a benefit. Since women's sizes are always too clingy, I'm trying to decide between a men's L & XL (a size up to allow for shrinkage). I'm looking for a fit similar to an American Apparel *blend* shirt in XL (athletic, narrower than their all cotton). Anyone have insight on sizing? I hate making returns. Thanks!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    For anyone with Icebreaker experience: The time as come for me to purchase a merino t-shirt (after loving my recent acquisition of DT socks). I'm looking at the Icebreaker Tec T Lite since we see more warm weather in the south than anything, and the wicking is a benefit. Since women's sizes are always too clingy, I'm trying to decide between a men's L & XL (a size up to allow for shrinkage). I'm looking for a fit similar to an American Apparel *blend* shirt in XL (athletic, narrower than their all cotton). Anyone have insight on sizing? I hate making returns. Thanks!
    I am unfamiliar with American Apparel shirts.

Maybe this will help.
    I just ordered Icebreaker Harmony Polo for women in size L to avoid that clinginess you mention. I like the fit and if I want it smaller I can give it a quick spin in the dryer. It's my only women's Icebreaker shirt.

I own a ton of men's Icebreaker clothing, in a variety of weights, including the Tech T and they are all size small. I like the fit of these also and usually prefer the men's shirts because half the fabric hasn't been cut away from the neck area. In the more athletic men's shirts I would opt for M unless wearing only as a baselayer. I have a small athletic -fit shirt and it's OK but not my favorite fit.

If this helps I wear:

Endura Baa brand l/s I have size men's small.
    Smartwool NTS l/s men's small.
    Patagonia anything, mostly men's small and have one women's Large R1 fleece.
    Ibex Scout Vest - men's small = perfect fit.

I'm petite, ~ 5'1", lean with traps, lats, delts from Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting. I'm heavier than I look at 129 lbs.

I just tried on Ibex men's OD v-neck shirt in size small and it fit very well, not clingy. Sleeves were longer than Tech T which I didn't like but I thought the shirt felt softer. I wanted to try the Ibex merino underwear and though I should be a women's M according to their charts I didn't trust it and got a L. They fit just right.

Shoebuy.com has 20% off right now, free ship and free returns. Sometimes it's a tough call re sizing. Getting both sizes and returning one might be the solution for getting exactly what you want.
    RhoFro likes this.

Thanks for the great info. I like Shoebuy because returns are easy. I'm looking at the Ibex because of the softer feel, like you mentioned. And their sizing chart seems to be more helpful. With a girth just under 40, I think an Ibex L would be a good prospect for just a little bit extra room than a well fitting M. Do you know if any of their styles are best when carrying a backpack (cut to reduce friction)?

Just picked up an Ibex M's L for $40 and Icebreaker merino hiking socks for 50% off @ Moosejaw.
    Last edited by RhoFro; 07-26-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks for the great info. I like Shoebuy because returns are easy. I'm looking at the Ibex because of the softer feel, like you mentioned. And their sizing chart seems to be more helpful. With a girth just under 40, I think an Ibex L would be a good prospect for just a little bit extra room than a well fitting M. Do you know if any of their styles are best when carrying a backpack (cut to reduce friction)?

Just picked up an Ibex M's L for $40 and Icebreaker merino hiking socks for 50% off @ Moosejaw.
    I haven't had any issue with strap friction using crew neck or shallow V-neck shirts of any brand I own. I hiked in the tech t yesterday with a very light pack.... maybe 5 lbs... and had no issue with my skin or the shirt. My preferred cut/style is a shirt with raglan sleeves, for mobility and they just look better on me.

Any neckline that is too big n sloppy might shift the seams under the strap with movement, I suppose? I guess I would avoid any shirt that doesn't fit well around the shoulders and neck where fabric might bunch up, shift sideways (I'm crooked), or fold over on itself. Experiment!

Another plug for Darn Tough socks too. I also wear injinji and smartwool merino toe socks. Free the toes! REI 1/4 sock was a hit for me this past winter too. MN I'm lookin' at you!

Ibex. Darn Tough. We love wool here in VT.

I machine wash my Icebreaker/Smartwool/etc woolens - delicate cycle. Short burst in the dryer on LOW then line dry. Soap = Imse Vimse Wool Shampoo and Wool Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    I also wear injinji and smartwool merino toe socks. Free the toes! REI 1/4 sock was a hit for me this past winter too. MN I'm lookin' at you!
    I have to ask, because they scare me a little - how weird are they to wear? If there's an advantage for foot maintenance while doing miles, I might be able to overcome my phobia of toe socks

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    Got to mention Darn Tough merino wool socks too! These are the best socks I've ever worn... better than Smartwool, Bridgedale, Thorlo... etc.
    Apologies for replying to an old'ish post, but I just discovered Darn Tough, and totally agree - fantastic socks, and available in a large range of sporty/casual/dressy colors & patterns - they're all I travel with now.
    RhoFro likes this.

I have to ask, because they scare me a little - how weird are they to wear? If there's an advantage for foot maintenance while doing miles, I might be able to overcome my phobia of toe socks
    They're not for everybody but give 'em a fair try and then decide. Google up some reviews. Try some soft coolmax toe socks first. Try them! They will feel different at first and then you will forget you are wearing them. I get a size large even though I am medium according to the box.

Runners and hikers and other users, wear them to prevent blisters and irritation between toes. I don't run but like to have my toes separated and my foot allowed to take it's normal shape, toes to splay out and not be squished by a sock. If my feet aren't happy, my whole body gets grumpy.

I also wear Vibram Fivefinger toe shoes so toe socks work when I need some insulation.

Super Moderator
    At fancy Goodwill thrift store in Portland today, found an Icebreaker pullover for $19.99. It's black (I'd enjoy green, too, but black is always correct) iwth an orange-outlined-in-white stripe inside each arm and running down the torso where each arm meets the body, too. It looks like the orange and white have been mashed together a bit (laundry accident?), so the orange and white stripe looks a bit dull rather than crisp, but a) they're on the inside of the arm, and b) I don't care.

Very small hole on the waistband area (you'd have to look for it) -- that, too, doesn't bother me: I want this as a travel layer, not business meetings. Overall, for $20, it's an experiment I'm happy to do.

If other wool makes me itchy will the merino clothing such as Ibex and Icebreaker be itchy too or are they somehow different?

These forums are a financially dangerous place. Just purchased Icebreaker and Rab MeCo items at Moosejaw.com and a little something pretty at Nau.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0