Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ice Breaker what?

Ultrafine.

So now we're talking about this one right.

OUTLIER Ultrafine Merino T-Shirt
    eWalker likes this.

Also check out 33 Below from NZ. Amazon sells their stuff.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Also check out 33 Below from NZ. Amazon sells their stuff.
    Minus33
    Amazon.com: Minus33 Merino Wool Men's Algonquin Lightweight Short Sleeve Crew: Sports & Outdoors

Wow this stuff is expensive... Going to have to read more before I'm convinced that I need to drop a load of cash on some tshirts!

I have Ibex, Icebreaker and Smartwool stuff and love it all. Some but not all Ibex is made in the US. Icebreaker and Smartwool are Vietnam, China, etc. as far as I know. I have yet to buy a short sleeve shirt - I haven't been able to justify the expense there even though I'm sure a merino tee will outlast a cotton one, but merino for cold-weather travel and exercise is worth every penny. It smells "wooly" when drenched but doesn't hold odors plus the warmth for weight is exceptional. It dries quickly, too, and retains warmth when wet. I also have an Ibex skirt that is warm enough to get me out of cords on below-freezing days (with tights and boots). That's the only thick piece that I have - everything else is lightweight and layers well. Sierra Trading Post is the best source - sign up for their email list and watch for coupons. You can get 30-45% off the already discounted price if you pay attention (warning: they send a LOT of emails and the coupons almost never apply to everything so you do have to try them).

Here's the Tech T from Icebreaker that I was talking about. The men's weight has been slightly raised from 140 to 150. I haven't double checked the woman's.

I look for these on sale from backcountry.com moosejaw.com, travelcountry.com and other vendors. The prices have risen from $50.00 to $70.00

I used to buy the tees on sale from $38.00 to $42.00 I loaded up on 'em at these prices as these are phenomenal travel Tees, comfortable, lightweight, resist odors, wash and dry quickly.

Very highly recommended!

Icebreaker is absolutely fantastic. I have several of the tops and leggings, most of which I bought at around 50% off from Sierra Trading Post or from Black's, and at that price they're certainly worth every penny. They wear amazingly well and are so pleasant compared to cotton or polyester that I find them almost as addictive as Tom Bihn bags!

To answer the question from saikyo above, the T-shirts are certainly something I'd be happy to wear in a big city for the day - they're actually smarter-looking than some of the regular T-shirts that I own.
    capncat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Shor View Post
    To answer the question from saikyo above, the T-shirts are certainly something I'd be happy to wear in a big city for the day - they're actually smarter-looking than some of the regular T-shirts that I own.
    i wholeheartedly second this, as well. i have two icebreaker short sleeve vnecks (black and dark gray) that i alternate on travels, and they look much nicer than a regular old tshirt, by far.

I love my Ice Breaker tees. I live in the 150 wt short and long sleeve tees when I'm not working ( business dress ).

I didn't believe the hype either, but I must confess they do indeed live up to it.

I wash them in the machine in cold, but air dry them which seems to prevent the shrinkage issues.

Now if they only didn't cost so dang much.

Nli
    I wear Icebreaker 150 long sleeve tops every day in the winter and the amazingly wonderful full-coverage women's tank they USED to make (grrrr......) every day in 30 days of summer we have (black tops / Gramicci pants = my self-proclaimed everyday uniform). These are in addition to merino leggings and flared merino skirts I wear often if I need to "dress up", some fancier Icebreaker sweaters, etc. As everyone knows, merino never smells, can be spot / sponge cleaned very easily. After a couple of wearings I usually declare them dirty (not because they are but rather because they are covered with dog hair). Once a month or so I grab the entire merino pile, toss it in my front-loader on the "woolens" cycle and then toss the whole pile in my dryer on the delicates cycle. Air drying is probably safer but I have never had any problems whatsoever when machine washing as described. Items are a teeny bit tight when I put newly-washed items on for the first time but within minutes they fit fine. Thanks to other forum members for recommending the Ovation products for washing - have switched to them for the merino and am very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Wow this stuff is expensive... Going to have to read more before I'm convinced that I need to drop a load of cash on some tshirts!
    Saikyo, I know what you mean: I'm sure these shirts are nice and well-made, but I have a hard time getting past the sticker-shock of $50 - $100 for a single tee.

If you are on the fence about wool and don't want to spend a lot of $ to find out if it is for you, you might want to check out your local thrift/resale store.

Where I live, I have noticed lots of nice merino wool items on the racks -- perhaps due to a perception/misperception that it wouldn't be appropriate for the hot/humid climate here. Hadn't paid them much mind in the past, but I've been trying to build up a versatile, lightweight, and easy-care travel wardrobe, so I figured I would give a few things a try, pursuant to this thread.

I found a lightweight pullover, a collared polo, and half-zip pullover, all made of nice quality, soft and smooth merino wool. Grand total for the three items combined? Less than 15 bucks.

While I may be losing style points by admitting to wearing secondhand -- or, as I prefer to think of it, "recycled" -- clothing, I am happy to do so if it will allow me to divert the money saved into some nice Tom Bihn bags and/or accessories. lol
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 04-17-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

Yep I love icebreaker clothing items! I always hunt them down at clearance times (ibex and minus33 are great as well. This year I am going to buy a couple of the short sleeved shirts and a dress or two. Merino wool really is wonderful and holds up well.

I wish I had time to check out the resale shops here--those are amazing deals bb93fo57!

Sharing here, because I know this will be appreciated. I am an avid thrift store shopper--most of the clothes I buy for myself and kids are thrifted. Last week, I was thrilled to find a 100% Merino wool tee shirt for myself for $3.99! I was so psyched, as it doesn't even look like it has been worn before. The brand is new to me--Avoca--made in New Zealand. It looks very well made. Happy me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Nli
    Wondering whether anyone here has tried any of the garments at Ramblers Way Farm (founded by Tom and Kate Chappell of Tom's of Maine products)? They raise Rambouillet sheep which I am told is similar to merino in terms of comfort. Any thoughts? The web site is: Ramblers Way Farm | Sustainable Wool Comfortwear, Made in USA

Has anyone tried any merino items from Super.Natural?

They aren't 100% merino, but a 50-50 mix of merino and "engineered performance fibers" (ok, polyester) that is machine washable and dryable.

From what I gather via a quick search, they seem to be in the process of entering the U.S. market now, but have been around in Europe for a a couple years. (The company's contact info is in Munich, and the clothes are made in China.)

Anyway, I chanced across a number of Super.Natural merino blend tees and base layers at my friendly neighborhood thrift emporium today, and they looked really nice.

They were all brand new with tags (labeled as samples), so I couldn't resist: walked out with a fantastic lightweight stretchy tee and three base layers of varying weights for $6-$8 each. (They fetch about 50 euros each online.)

Haven't tried them yet, so I can't comment on their performance at this point, but they feel fantastic, seem well-constructed, and don't need handwashing.

They've garnered some positive mentions on trektechblog and thegearcaster.com

For the sake of comparison, I also snagged a new-ish Patagonia Capilene 2 base layer (for 95 cents).

Now that temps are near 90F in Florida, I guess nobody wants this stuff here... but I will gladly take advantage of that to stock up for my winter travels!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 05-01-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0