Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blarson94

Thread: Repeat e-mail account hacks - advice?

Repeat e-mail account hacks - advice?

Second time in a month my personal account got hacked and started sending out spam messages to people in my address book and lots of automated help desks, etc. I changed my password to another strong one. Getting to customer service is a pain - any advice on how to avoid this?

Which email do you use for personal email? Yahoo?

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Second time in a month my personal account got hacked and started sending out spam messages to people in my address book and lots of automated help desks, etc. I changed my password to another strong one. Getting to customer service is a pain - any advice on how to avoid this?
    Given what you said above, it's actually fairly unlikely your email account got hacked at all: it's *much* more likely that your personal machine has been compromised and is presently a spam zombie.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

I use Yahoo - my personal machine is encrypted and not used by others - how can I avoid this situation in the future?

Yahoo has recently had a problem with server-side hacks and mostly recently, a compromise of a third-party database that housed addresses and passwords.

The most important thing is to ensure you do not use your Yahoo password (previous or existing) for any other websites. I would change any password that was being used with your email password (Ebay, paypal, bank account etc.)

The best thing you can do right now is use a strong password (combination of uppercase/lowercase/symbols/numbers) and change it frequently. Sorry to hear you're having issues, but other than moving to a different email provider, that's about the best you can do.

I would also perform a regular virus/malware scan and scan for rootkits (Kaspersky makes a decent rootkit scanner). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    Yahoo has recently had a problem with server-side hacks and mostly recently, a compromise of a third-party database that housed addresses and passwords.

The most important thing is to ensure you do not use your Yahoo password (previous or existing) for any other websites. I would change any password that was being used with your email password (Ebay, paypal, bank account etc.)

The best thing you can do right now is use a strong password (combination of uppercase/lowercase/symbols/numbers) and change it frequently. Sorry to hear you're having issues, but other than moving to a different email provider, that's about the best you can do.

I would also perform a regular virus/malware scan and scan for rootkits (Kaspersky makes a decent rootkit scanner). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Thanks everybody for your insight. The odd thing is that after the first time this happened a few weeks ago, I changed to a long and strong password unique to my Yahoo account, then had this second problem yesterday. I've again changed to a long/strong/unique password specific to this account and not used for any other online activity. I feel bad for the people getting the pseudo-mail from my name. Ugh.

Ken
    I believe that Yahoo now offers two-step authentication. It may not stop things, but it will slow them down quite a bit.

Good luck,

--Ken

Two-step authentication on any site that offers it. I also use Lastpass and have a unique 15+ character password for each site. Also, download and run Malwarebytes (free version) weekly to remove any junk malware, etc. Anytime we have issues at work, that's the first thing IT has use do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    alief likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0