Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Skin care recommendations?

Skin care recommendations?

I have very dry, very sensitive skin and am looking for advice on a facial moisturizer. I've found so many great products on this site, I figured you all would have some good suggestions for this as well!

My criteria is that it is not tested on animals and is fragrance free. With China's law on animal testing, that knocks out most major brands. I like the smaller, natural or organic stores anyway, but my usual problem is finding a moisturizer that hydrates but doesn't just grease up my face. Has anyone found a moisturizer they swear by?

I just received my Salux washcloth this week and adore it! If you want to throw in ideas for soap or hair care, I'm all ears on that also!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

For my skin, I use a home-made blend of body butters that include the following: Shea butter, avocado butter, mango butter, soy butter, cocoanut butter, cocoa butter, Olive butter, aloe butter, black seed oil, jojoba oil, neem oil, hemp seed oil, and sweet almond oil. It's custom blended for me by a local lady. It is organic, with no added fragrances and no propylene glycol. It works very well for my 4+ decade-old-skin.

I realize this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

For face soap, I use raw African black soap (I'm Caucasian) which you can find easily on the web. I get mine from the same lady, but I have also seen it available on Amazon.
    dorayme likes this.

I have very reactive skin. I use Eucerin products -scent free and not tested on animals. For soap i buy large tubs of glycerin soap half off at Michaels and cut it into blocks. I have not yet found a shampoo that I love. Whenever i find one, they discontnue it.

Have you tried Jr. Liggett's shampoo bars? I am allergic to glycerin, and these bars work well for my skin.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but one of my coworkers has been applying grapeseed oil to his face every night and morning. He swears by it and his skin definitely doesn't look greasy. I use olive oil occasionally (more as a cleanser than as a moisturizer though it seems to do both) and I've found that shine is minimized by rubbing it in gently, then rinsing my face in warm water and patting it dry. I've heard that some people have problems with olive oil but it doesn't seem to bother my skin. I don't have very sensitive skin though. Anyway, there are about a zillion web pages out there about using plant oils for cleansing and moisturizing. At least it's a low cost experiment if you try it.

I like goat milk face soaps and I used to love the Liggett shampoo bars but I moved to a different water system and now I'm spending my retirement savings trying to find a shampoo and/or conditioner that won't leave my hair dry, stiff and slightly sticky.
    Last edited by binje; 03-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.

I use coconut oil as lotion, and I love it. I used to use olive oil, but I find that coconut oil rubs in better (olive oil tended to leave a little bit of a greasy feel for me). That said, I don't usually use it on my face, so I'm not sure about that in particular, but there's actually a lot of information out there about using oil for facial care (google "oil cleansing"). Primal Pit Paste (which I love and found out about from this forum!) now has a lotion that's basically coconut oil and shea butter, so that might be worth checking out too. Also, take a close look at whatever you're using as soap on your face because some of those can really dry out your skin (specifically sodium laurel sulfate which is in basically every soap is really quite bad for this).

At the risk of sounding like a hippie, let me also throw in my recommendation for the (unfortunately named) "no 'poo" method i.e. not using shampoo (or any hair products). It takes a little adjustment but my hair is nicer than ever after 3 years of not washing it with anything except water (plus one less thing for your 3-1-1 bag ).
    Moose likes this.

Ok, I admit "no poo" initially seemed a bit over the top but, I went off and read more. I'm contemplating giving it a go, anything that could possibly tame this horse tail would be welcome. Thanks ClaireJ.
    Last edited by Moose; 03-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I have super-sensitive skin, and can't tolerate perfumes. I have trouble with things like sesame or coconut oil. I use Origins "Checks & Balances" face soap. This product lathers heavily, and I only have to pack a teensy amount (about a 1" tester pot size) for a week or 2 of travel. I had to switch face moisturizers recently, & now use a "Make A Difference" product. I believe Origins is required by China to do animal testing, and probably doesn't fit your criteria?

I make most of my own personal care products including moisturizer, which is a blend of oils. I have sensitive skin as well, and the oils work better than any other moisturizer I've used. It's nice to know exactly what is in your products and avoid all of the drying (and irritating)ingredients that get put into commercial versions. I highly recommend Chagrin Valley (Organic Skin & Hair Care Products | Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve) if you don't want to make your own. Or, check out Crunchy Betty's market on Etsy (Crunchy Betty's Natural Market by CrunchyBetty on Etsy). Everything from there comes with the exact recipe so that you can make it yourself if you like it.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've learned a lot from these responses!

- Eucerin is owned by Beiersdorf, who interestingly led the way to end animal testing here, and then started selling in China. Disappointing that their "commitment" didn't turn out to be sincere
    - Origins is owned by Estee Lauder, who has always tested
    - I'm torn on the "parent company" issue, because one theory is that we support the subsidiaries that have environmentally friendly and ethical practices, thus showing the parent company that the bad practices aren't necessary to be successful. It's a good point. I really want to try Burt's Bees, but they're owned by Clorox. Not sure how I'll go on that one.
    - I tried grapeseed oil and my face turned red and stung. I tried coconut oil too, and it didn't turn red, but the stinging happened. I wonder, though, it the oils were dealing with the dry skin that way and it would stop? You know, like applying lotion after you've been skiing. It stings, but soothes in the end. Perhaps I should try them again, as I agree the oils are probably best for your skin.
    - I really like the idea of trying to make my own moisturizer. I'm a bit timid that way, but maybe it's time to woman up and go for it. There's a place in town where you can go to make your own soaps and lotions, and I just discovered they have a lotion making class next month. I think I'll sign up for that, and in the meanwhile, try to figure out which oils don't make my skin react.

Again, I really appreciate all of your input. It helps a lot!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Paula's choice is leaping bunny certified animal testing free at any stage of product development. They are color and fragrance free and make products for sensitive skin. They are only available through their website. They decided not to sell in China which I appreciate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bags: Western Flyer, Pilot, Brain Bag, Medium Café Bag

Have you looked at Lush products? They have a shampoo bar I really like.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I've tried Paula's Choice before, but not had much luck with their products, though I love their practices! I see they have some new products, so I'll check them out again. I've also tried Lush, but not any fragrance-free ones. The fragranced one broke me out. I LOVE scents, too, so it's been a long road moving away from them!

I'm looking for the JR Liggett's shampoo bar, as that really appeals since I have a trip coming up in two weeks. I found it at the local co-op, but I want the ultra balanced one and hope to find it at another store in town. Thanks, mausermama, for that suggestion!

Oh, and I use North Shore Soap Factory's kukui nut oil based soap on my face and skin, which I love. It's an exfoliating bar, but has never caused me any problems. Both the unscented and mango ones work for me with no reactions and my skin loves it. Here's the website: The North Shore Soap Factory Too bad they don't make shampoo. Maybe I should just use the bar on my head and hope I get all the exfoliating granules out of my hair when I rinse! Ha!

For lotion, Cerave has worked great for me. I just tried their face lotion, and I'm sure it'll probably work once the warm weather hits. I seem to have this problem every year when it's super cold and the heater runs all the time.

I love the way Lush products smell and bar soaps and shampoos are such a great way to travel with fewer liquids. At the same time, some Lush products contain parabens and/or sodium laurel sulfates. I'm not really for or against those chemicals per se but if you have very sensitive skin they could pose a problem.

Is it still the case that The Body Shop is vigorously anti-animal testing? Some of their products could be gentle enough but it's been a while since I've bought anything from them so I don't know the current product line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    @dwright What about the Dr. Bronner's brand? Their products are widely available, without the need to use special stores, and you can get unscented or even unscented baby-mild varieties of their soap in solid or liquid format. I like Citrus Orange in the scented varieties. I think they meet your criteria of fragrance-free products that do not use animal testing, but I'm not aware if they have a specific moisturizer line.

For other forum readers, a few of the products suggested in this thread, such as the Lush shampoo bars, have been discussed in the flat-pack toiletries: does this exist? thread.

moriond

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0