Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Skin care recommendations?

I have sensitive skin, including the joys of rosacea. My body is drier than my face in the winter and I'm still struggling to find something natural that works for my body as I just want to avoid all of those man made chemicals.

Great source for oils is Mountain Rose Herbs. I get my Argan oil there (high quality and affordable) and use that on my face at night. In the day I use coconut oil on my face as it is lighter and absorbs quicker. I use coconut oil on my body but it isn't doing the trick, especially in the winter, still much too dry. I'm waiting on my order of Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, and Hemp seed oil as I've heard they absorb quickly and really moisturize and smooth sensitive skin. We'll see!

For "no poo" folks that was a little extreme for me too (and scary) as I shower and wash my fine, color treated hair everyday. I can't imagine NOT doing that. So I'm going to try the "Dirty Poo" method from Primal Life Organics. Waiting on that to come in next. I use their Dirty Mouth Tooth powder and wouldn't go back to toothpaste if you paid me.

Just a few other things to consider!

@photocat - I just this week tried Alba Very Emollient lotion and it seems to work really well on my extra dry skin. They also have a Max version. My shoulders and chest break out very easily, and my skin is very dry in winter as well, so maybe that's one you'd like to try. I got it at my local co-op, where you can bring your own container and fill up as much as you want. It was nice to spend $1.50 to try it out, using my own bottle.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

@photocat Hemp oil is very good - I use Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector after gardening, because although I don't have particularly dry skin, the chalky soil in our area turns my hands to sandpaper!

Hemp Hand Protector | Shop By Range | The Body Shop
    terayon likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Thanks dwright17 - I'll definitely give that a try! And thanks scribe -- looking forward to trying the hemp oil and others. Was supposed to get them yesterday but UPS rescheduled and now not getting until Monday. I'll report back when I find out how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    @mausermama - Thanks so much; your timing is absolutely perfect! I picked up some calendula oil and chamomile oil from my local soap maker and it seems to be working (fingers crossed). Thanks to backpack, I'm going back to get a bit of straight cocoa butter and see how that combines. I copied your butters and oils and their properties onto a separate list to use when I get back from my trip to try out making my own moisturizer. Fun!

@backpack - Thanks for the cocoa butter tip. If you're a hockey fan, you'll know Don Cherry swears by it, ha! He had many cuts all over his face but not one scar (or wrinkle for that matter). He swears cocoa butter is the answer.
    Well, if Don Cherry says it works....it must work!!!

FWIW - From the oils I received in March, it ended up that I fell in love with the hemp oil. I mix it with coconut oil for my body. On my face during the day, I stick to straight coconut oil but at night, I put on straight hemp oil. Hemp oil smells a bit woody / grassy but doesn't last once you put it on. Highly recommend!

I usually try to avoid moisturising creams, because I find that it just dries the skin out. If I do then I use Trilogy or Living Nature (organic and no animal testing, not made in China).
    Recently a lady at the pharmacist recommended Cetaphil for my daughters. She said a lot of Dermatologists were using it.
    I tried the moisturising lotion on my face and it is so light and greasefree...really great actually. Its made in Canada.
    K9TB likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0