Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Skin care recommendations?

This forum made me a fan of Chagrin Valley. I have very sensitive skin and sinuses, but none of the Chagrin Valley products have bothered me.

hardlotion.com has good looking natural products--have not tried myself, but...

There's a store in my home town called Naples Soap Company that was started by a nurse to help her daughter's skin issues. I haven't tried their face moisturizer, but I love their bar soaps. They also have shampoo and conditioner bars that work well (my hair is super picky).
    The website is naplessoap.com
    Indigo/Solar Tri-Star, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Black/Steel, 13" Ristretto, Black/Wasabi iPad Ristretto, Forest/UV Smart Alec

At the risk of throwing a wrench in the works....I'll share what my dermatologist recommended to me: NO SOAP, except in groin, pits, and under breasts...places where sweat collects and to use Cetaphil, a non-soap cleanser. So I use water with a clean washcloth with a decent nap all over except for aforementioned areas. I noticed a significant improvement in skin health. And, of course, drinking lots of fluids helps as does a decent moisturizer---Vasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

@badger - The Body Shop was sold to L'Oreal several years ago. L'Oreal is still an animal tester, but The Body Shop has maintained its no-animal-testing policy. I've tried their products with mixed results, but generally like them a lot. I mainly need to get into a store to test a few things before purchasing online since there's not one in our town.

@moriond - I bought some Dr. Bronner's just last night, in fact. I've tried the peppermint and the baby mild soaps before, and while neither made my skin react, I had to slather on way more lotion than usual because my skin felt so dry. The kukui nut oil soap and Cerave are a good combo, although I also ventured out to try the Alba Very Emollient lotion, and tried that for the first time today with great success! The Dr. Bronner's I bought last night in a small quanity is the rose hemp scent. Like I mentioned, I'm a sucker for a nice scent. I tried that as a soap today and didn't have the same reaction as the other soaps; it was the same level of moisture as my kukui nut oil soap. It's nice to have an option there.

@binjie & @ClairJ - I was inspired to research the oils after your posts, and just wanting a quick fix, bought the Seventh Generation hydrating face oil last night. It's mainly jojoba oil. Unfortunately, my face looks like I've suffered windburn today. However, my face isn't tight. You gotta laugh at some point!

@mausermama - The above Seventh Generation experience has inspired me to mix my oils to work for both hydration and calming irritated skin. Did your local lady share the "recipe" with you? I was just curious if I could recreate something in a small batch.

@Shanisol - Thanks for reminding me about Chagrin Valley. I remember those posts, too. I'm leaving in a week and a half for a trip, but will check them out again when I get back. It looks like they have great stuff!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

I also use Dr. Bronner's for soap - keep in mind that it is very strong and needs to be diluted. You can dilute with equal amounts water (or more water depending on your sensitivity and how much soap you use at a time). I actually prefer to dilute it with olive oil (not sure exactly what quantities I use, but probably close to 1 part Dr. Bronner's, 1 part olive oil, plus some water) because, like you, I find it dries out my skin otherwise. That's too bad the facial oil "burnt" your skin! It can be very tricky figuring out what works best for you personally since everyone reacts a little differently - good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post

@mausermama - The above Seventh Generation experience has inspired me to mix my oils to work for both hydration and calming irritated skin. Did your local lady share the "recipe" with you? I was just curious if I could recreate something in a small batch.
    When I get back from my trip, I'll pull out her literature. I thought about doing the same, but she throws so much in there that there was a barrier to entry for me. Still, I can tell you what she uses and why, and perhaps you can distill a few butters to try out.

@ClairJ - I never thought about diluting with part olive oil; I just used about 3-4 drops on a Salux washcloth and went from there. Great idea; I'll try that! Especially since the rose hemp worked today . . .

@Mausermama - I would so appreciate the literature! Knowing why she puts certain ingredients in can at least help me narrow what to look for!
    enjih likes this.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Have you tried any of the products in the "Nurture my Body" Fragrance Free product line?

Haven't heard of Nurture My Body - I'll check it out. Thanks a lot! I've found several great brands through these forums.

Cocoa butter and aloe vera and Cetaphil are the only products one should consider if having sensitive, dry, skin.

If a product produces the wind tight effect, it is an allergy reaction so are little pimple-like raised bumps which end up being scratchy.

When it is sunny, everyone needs hats and long sleeves and long pants.

I have yet to find a safe sunscreen for sensitive skin.

If people, with little ones in diapers, have the name of an hypoallergenic, organic zinc oxide formula, I am all ears.

Having read the posts more thoroughly, I have another couple of advice, caution, been there done that, that was unpleasant and I'd rather fellow sensitive skin forum member not to have to experience it.

Read the ingredients thoroughly, search them on your phone if necessary. Fragance = cheap, bad stuff. If the ingredients check out, buy the smallest quantity available or ask for a sample.

The sample should be in a tiny size unopened container, not pumped from a sampling bottle or slooped out (scooped in a slurp) from a big jar, even with gloves or a new spooning instrument.

Some people see "sample" and will dip their finger in the jar or let their hand touch the opening of the pump. You have no idea what they have been touching before.

No matter how careful one is, one can grab a railing if the floor is wet at the mall, touch a car because the pavement is uneven and twist one's shoe. Hold a child's hand because otherwise he/she will run into the toy store or the little car rides with hers/his hands sticky from the candy shop.
    And that beauty store is between the candy shop and the bathroom...

I always wear long pants because seats, anywhere, can harbor fungus and other things.

Which bring one to, always test the pristine product on the least sensitive part of your skin, usually hands.
    If the skin there tighten, starts to burn, swell or itch, it is easy to rinse off with cold water.

One of the cheapest and easiest way to moisturise is to use cooking oils. There is always a little bit that is hard to get unless the bottle is left upside down into another container.
    I do that with olive oil.

Vitamines capsules meant to be ingested are also ok for skin, put it in a fancy container if you want to look fancy like a commercial.
    Uh.... don't do it with fish oil capsules and then use it on Valentine's day, by mistake.

The no shampoo, I can't do but, I no longer use conditioner, my own scalp oils are the conditioners.

I also use heavy microfiber hair turbans (towels which have been sewn to form a triangle and stay put) for the couple of hours to the half an hour or so, it takes my scalp hair to dry and an adjustable headband of the same brand, to tame the rest of the hair while it slowly dries.
    Hair Turban | Aquis Microfiber

They also have a wash cloth I can't stand but some of you might like.

I use the tools above instead of using an hair dryer, unless, I am in a hotel and the weather is cold or wet or I am on my way to the airport. The hair need to be styled and tamed in a non metal clip before getting there.

I used the hotel shampoos in last year's many stops travel adventure, I did take one lightweight and cheap travel turban which always needed to be supplemented with hairdryer use. The Northern Hemisphere, in early spring, is usually a magnet for cold if one dares to go out with wet hair.

Take your nose to the hotel shampoo bottle before use, if your nose twitches and your eyes water, give the hazardous material to the travel partner.

If you always react that way to many beauty or grooming products, bring a sample of your favorites in the Tom Bihn Clear 3D Cube.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.

I am now back from my trip, and wanted to give any who may be interested a little rundown on the body butters that are in my formula. These are some of the claims that are made. I am not making the claims, but the information from my supplier is. Here's the rundown:

Avocado Butter
    heals stretch marks/scarring
    conditions hair and scalp
    moisturizes and heals dry, damaged skin

Mango Butter
    effectively treats dry skin
    heals skin rash
    heals skin peeling
    clears blemishes and wrinkles
    relieves itching skin
    heals sunburn
    treats small skin wounds & skin cracks
    fights frost bite
    relieves insect bites
    promotes healthy, rejuvenated skin
    heals muscle fatigue, aches and tension
    relieves skin allergies
    treats eczema and dermatitis

Coffee Butter
    softens skin while healing stretch marks
    reduces signes of aging
    minimizes cellulite
    reduces puffiness

Soy Butter
    hydrates and softens skin
    clears complexion
    gentle

Virgin Coconut Butter
    moisturizes skin

Cocoa Butter
    moisturizes well
    clears stretch marks and wrinkles
    revitalizes skin

Olive Butter
    diminishes fine lines & wrinkles
    moisturizes skin
    revives skin complexion
    heals skin rash, chapping, and irritation
    rejuvenates skin tone (natural antioxidant)

Aloe Butter
    moisturizes skin, making it soft and supple
    strengthens skin with nutrients, minerals, and vitamins,
    natural amino acids clear fine lines & wrinkles
    treats eczema, psoriasis, rosacea
    heals sunburn & chapping
    stimulates the healing process
    improves complexion & skin tone
    acts as antibacterial and anti-fungal

Black Seed Oil
    heals acne, insect bites, dry skin, and eczema

Jojoba Oil
    reduces puffy eyes
    clears and minimizes pores while clearing skin of blemishes
    helps prevent wrinkles and lines
    aids in healing of psoriasis and eczema
    moisturizes dry/flaky skin

Neem Oil
    Moisturizes dry skin
    acts as natural bug repellent
    heals acne, clears pimples
    relieves itching
    heals cuts and scars

Hemp Seed Oil
    said to aid in healing of skin lesions, dry skin, inflammations of skin & joints

Sweet Almond Oil
    hydration for extra dry skin

Black Soap
    100% natural, with no chemicals or perfumes
    deep cleans with little scrubbing
    formulated for sensitive skin
    concentrated rich later
    heals rashes and minor skin irritations
    excellent for eczema or psoriasis

NOW... for the caveat. I don't know of ANY of this stuff is actually true. I have checked some secondary sources, and they have concurred with what I have listed from the person I shop from, but what I do know is that it works exceedingly well for my skin. Of course, not all skin is the same, so if you wanted to venture off and make your own body/facial butter, you would probably want to experiment. And you may even want to consult a physician, which I am most certainly not.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters, and have instead given you some ideas to think about, or at least maybe provided a bit of reading if you find you are unable to sleep and need a push in that direction.

@mausermama - Thanks so much; your timing is absolutely perfect! I picked up some calendula oil and chamomile oil from my local soap maker and it seems to be working (fingers crossed). Thanks to backpack, I'm going back to get a bit of straight cocoa butter and see how that combines. I copied your butters and oils and their properties onto a separate list to use when I get back from my trip to try out making my own moisturizer. Fun!

@backpack - Thanks for the cocoa butter tip. If you're a hockey fan, you'll know Don Cherry swears by it, ha! He had many cuts all over his face but not one scar (or wrinkle for that matter). He swears cocoa butter is the answer.

@monkeylady - I can see why a dermatologist recommends less soap. I have actually tried that and think it works just fine to use it only in the stinky spots. My problem is, I love hot, soapy showers and love to wash my hair every day - which is the worst thing you can do to your skin. So, I gave those up, but just haven't gone the "no poo" idea ClaireJ shared, or the "no soap" route yet. But my kukui nut oil soap is very moisturizing, and I have tried to convince myself that makes it okay!

I use pretty much ONLY microfiber washcloths (I like the SkinVac pore-unclogging ones) on my face and haven't bought face soap or cleanser in years. In WA weather my face tends to be both flaky and greasy (which is about as much fun as it sounds), and the only thing that seems to work for me is 1) no soap and 2) colloidal oatmeal moisturizer.

I tried the "no poo" thing for several months some years ago. I think my hair might be too long and/or thick to work well with that method, as it got very waxy and heavy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0