Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MtnMan

Thread: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite questions

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite questions

I've recently been quizzed by people about tablet devices, mostly the Apple iPad and iPad Mini. I do not currently own any tablet devices, but this may change in the future. As a past moderator for a local Macintosh User Group, I occasionally encounter questions about technology, including tablet devices.

I recently started another thread in this forum about the iPad Mini. There were repeated references to the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite e-book reader tablet in that discussion. For the sake of clarity and focus, I decided to open this new discussion thread devoted expressly to the Kindle Paperwhite.

Here are some questions for those who own an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (AKP):

1: What model of AKP do you own? Does it have Wifi-only? What about cellular access?

2: Is the amount of built-in storage in an AKP fixed and unchangeable? (Seems that way upon visiting the Amazon site)

3: Where did you buy your AKP, from Amazon direct or from a third party?

4: If one were to buy an AKP in a store like OfficeMax or Staples, how could one be sure one is getting the current model? Is there a nomenclature printed on the product's box?

5: Customer reviews posted on the Amazon web-site state that the AKP only ships with a USB power/recharging adaptor; there is no AC wall charger unit in the AKP's box. Is this a problem in your eyes? Did you buy the Amazon wall adaptor, or did you simply use the AKP's USB adaptor by pulling it into a third-party USB wall power adaptor? If so, which USB wall adaptor is best for home and/or travel use?

6: If you prefer to use Amazon's AKP wall adaptor, did you buy their adaptor with your AKP, as a bundle or separately?

7: There was a mention of "paying extra" to "do away with the ads"; one AKP-owner/reviewer referred to this as "blackmail". Does this concern you? If you opt to "pay extra", how do you pay it and how much did you pay? Is this a recurring bill?

8: How do you like the physical look and feel of the AKP? (Not just the interface; I also want to know about your tactile impressions and how it "feels" in your hand(s).

9: Where do you most commonly use your AKP while indoors?

10: Where do you most commonly use your AKP while outdoors?

11: Do you ever take your AKP with you camping/tenting or picnicking in remote locations?

12: Do you own any Tom Bihn gear for carrying your AKP? If so, what? How useful is it to you?

13: Do you employ any weatherproof gear for carrying your AKP? If so, what? How useful is it to you?

14: Are illustrated field guide books for birds, plants, trees or other wildlife available for your AKP? If so, how useful are they to you if you take your AKP with you on a hike?

15: Can an AKP interact with other devices via WiFi and/or Bluetooth? If so, what can you do with them?

16: What about finding older books for your AKP? Let's say you own a hardcopy book from the 1970s. Can you get those older books on your AKP? If there any way of porting them to your AKP?

17: What other uses, other than e-book reading, do you use your AKP for? Does it offer a built-in calculator? Built-in clock?

18: How does an AKP connect to a Windows PC? (Interface, software, procedural summary) Or does the AKP's Wifi ability render this as unnecessary?

19: How does the AKP connect to a Macintosh?

Thanks in advance!

-- MtnMan
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

1: What model of AKP do you own? Does it have Wifi-only? What about cellular access?

Wifi Only. I didn't get the cell access model.

2: Is the amount of built-in storage in an AKP fixed and unchangeable? (Seems that way upon visiting the Amazon site)

Yes.

Amazon.

4: If one were to buy an AKP in a store like OfficeMax or Staples, how could one be sure one is getting the current model? Is there a nomenclature printed on the product's box?

Check the model number on the box vs with Amazon.

5: Customer reviews posted on the Amazon web-site state that the AKP only ships with a USB power/recharging adaptor; there is no AC wall charger unit in the AKP's box. Is this a problem in your eyes? Did you buy the Amazon wall adaptor, or did you simply use the AKP's USB adaptor by pulling it into a third-party USB wall power adaptor? If so, which USB wall adaptor is best for home and/or travel use?

I had an Amazon USB wall adapter from my previous Kindle Keyboard so use that. It would also work with a wall adapter for your iPhone or any other Wall to USB adapter.

6: If you prefer to use Amazon's AKP wall adaptor, did you buy their adaptor with your AKP, as a bundle or separately?

I usually use my adapter.

7: There was a mention of "paying extra" to "do away with the ads"; one AKP-owner/reviewer referred to this as "blackmail". Does this concern you? If you opt to "pay extra", how do you pay it and how much did you pay? Is this a recurring bill?

Don't care, paid extra. One time charge.

8: How do you like the physical look and feel of the AKP? (Not just the interface; I also want to know about your tactile impressions and how it "feels" in your hand(s).

Love it. Super small. Super tiny. But I like to bulk it up with a nice case, and use a case from Oberon Design.

On the couch or in bed.

Airplane. Hotel rooms. Trains.

11: Do you ever take your AKP with you camping/tenting or picnicking in remote locations?

Don't camp.

12: Do you own any Tom Bihn gear for carrying your AKP? If so, what? How useful is it to you?

No.

13: Do you employ any weatherproof gear for carrying your AKP? If so, what? How useful is it to you?

No.

14: Are illustrated field guide books for birds, plants, trees or other wildlife available for your AKP? If so, how useful are they to you if you take your AKP with you on a hike?

Dunno.

15: Can an AKP interact with other devices via WiFi and/or Bluetooth? If so, what can you do with them?

Dunno.

16: What about finding older books for your AKP? Let's say you own a hardcopy book from the 1970s. Can you get those older books on your AKP? If there any way of porting them to your AKP?

If you can get the book in a digital format, .doc, .txt, .html, whatever, you can put it on your kindle. You can also find stuff on Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg in Kindle format.

17: What other uses, other than e-book reading, do you use your AKP for? Does it offer a built-in calculator? Built-in clock?

I use Instapaper to read news that I would rather not read on a computer screen.

18: How does an AKP connect to a Windows PC? (Interface, software, procedural summary) Or does the AKP's Wifi ability render this as unnecessary?

I use macs, but hardly, if ever, connect my Kindle to the computer. I send books and other documents to it over wifi. You get a blah@free.kindle.com email address, and any docs you email to that address appear on the Kindle next time you go online with it.

USB.

saikyo did a great job answering most of the questions so I won't repeat anything unless it has to do with my own experience.

Wifi.

Amazon; it was a Christmas present.

I use the charger for my phone. I rarely take the charging cable with me anywhere bc the Kindle has insane battery life.

My Kindle is ad-free but gotta say having seen the ads, they're really not that offensive.

It's super light. I like that. I don't use a case.

Anywhere I would read a normal book?

See 9

Never, because nature hate me.

I use a medium OP that I had lying around. It's fine but too big.

No

Wouldn't know. An amazon search would answer this.

Why would it need to?

I only use my kindle for reading. All that other stuff is on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Badger, I won't repeat those already answered questions. Here goes!

I have the newest AKP, wifi and cellular

Best Buy

I have a third party wall adapter I bought for a previous Kindle

I have ads on my AKP and haven't opted to pay to remove them. I've found them t be unobtrusive; you see an ad when you first turn the AKP on, and then when you're looking at your list of books, there's a very small strip at the bottom of the screen. Once you're in a book, the ad goes away. Sometimes, I've actually purchased the item being advertised.

I love the way it feels - it's very light, and the back cover is ever so slightly grippy. Very comfortable to hold, even in one hand.

A better question would be where don't I use it!

At the beach, on boats, during lunch (maybe not now, as we prepare for more snow here in NJ...)

Yep; works like a charm.

Um, all of them....actually, I tend to slip my AKP into either a cafe bag or a co-pilot. The pockets in the main part of the co-pilot are particulalry well-suited to hold a Kindle. Sometimes I'll also put it into a padded zip pouch first.

No, although once I use a ziploc bag when I was on a dive trip and it was windy with a lot of salt spray.

I don't know that I would put these types of materials on a Kindle. That's what I use my iPhone for.

Don't know.

I only use mine for ebook reading. For everything else I use my iPhone or iPad.

I bought the wifi only because I have other wireless devices that can act as hotspots, such as my cell phone and a Clear data point.

Fixed.

I got it on sale at Best Buy and redeemed some of their rewards points so it ended up being $75 out of pocket, more or less.

Not that I can see on my box.

I generally charge my devices by plugging into my Macbook Pro. I almost always travel with the laptop adapter, but even when I don't there's usually more than enough juice in the battery to charge the phone and if needed the Kindle. But, to be honest, I've never needed to charge the Kindle when out and about. It lasts a long, long time.

n/a

I thought I would hate this, but bought the model with ads because of the great deal at BB. As it turns out, I don't mind them at all. The ad only changes when you power off the device and is fixed there in between sessions. The strip ad at the bottom of the menu page is very unobtrusive. Upshot is I'm not going to pay the extra to get rid of the ads.

Love it. Much easier to hold than my full size iPad. Very quick performance and feels solid but not heavy.

Lying on the sofa reading.

On camping trips or by the pool.

Funny you should ask... yes, it was one of my main reasons for buying it. For two reasons, first the iPad doesn't have a charge that lasts as long so I don't have to worry about charging it. And second, when reading outside the KPW is hands down better. It doesn't get washed out from the bright sunlight and second, I wear polarized sunglasses which render the iPhone/iPad screens virtually black. Not so with the KPW.

No, I ended up getting the Amazon leather cover at Fry's for half price. Because it was purple. *resistance is futile! you will be assimilated into the purple lover's cadre!*

Haven't needed to yet.

No, because I like the color that my iPhone/iPad have. I use iBird Pro for birdwatching and Sky Safari Pro for my telescope (it acts as a controller). The lack of color limits its usefulness as a field guide, IMHO.

Don't know...

Haven't come across this yet. Have loaded some items via the email address you get. EG. you mail a book to your.name@kindle.com and it is available for download to your device.

Tried the web browser. Slow, painful to use, not worth the effort. If you want this functionality, get a Fire or iPad/Andoid device.

I don't think it's necessary. Even the firmware updates are delivered wirelessly.

Same answer as above. But I just plugged it in and it showed as a mounted drive in finder. I suppose one could drag and drop files onto it.

Some more questions...

20: How easy is it to turn off the AKP's WiFi to conserve battery life while reading a book?

21: How long is your AKP's battery life (on average) when book-reading with WiFi off?

22: Do you read only published mass-market books on your AKP? What about other publications, such as manuals, or popular magazines?

23: I undertand Barnes & Noble offers a similar tablet device called the Nook. Which model of Nook competes head-to-head with the Kindle?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Rae
    I can answer #23. The Nook GlowLight would be the competitor to the Kindle Paperwhite.

It's very easy to toggle the wifi on the kindle paperwhite. I usually get about three weeks on a charge, even with lots if reading time with the backlight always on, but wifi switched off unless syncing. I read all kinds of books on it, but while the screen is amazing for text, and pretty good for graphs and charts, it's just passable for photos. One great tool is a browser add-in for Chrome (possibly other browsers too) from Amazon which let's you send content to the kindle with a single click. I use it to save long form articles and love having my clippings available on the kindle. Sure, you can save them with Pocket or Instapaper, but reading them on a device with several weeks of battery life is great when I'm traveling.

In this entry, I am posting links to Engadget reviews of the most popular e-book reader/tablet devices, including the AKP, the latest Kobo and Nook from Barnes & Noble:

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite review (2013): is last year's best e-reader still tops?
    BY BRIAN HEATER @BHEATER SEPTEMBER 30TH, 2013 AT 11:00AM ET

Kobo Aura review: is spending $150 on an e-reader ever worth it?
    BY BRIAN HEATER @BHEATER SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2013 AT 2:00PM ET

Barnes & Noble Nook GlowLight review: much improved, but the competition is still winning
    BY BRIAN HEATER @BHEATER NOVEMBER 5TH, 2013 AT 12:00PM ET

If anyone knows of other articles that would be similarly useful, please post them here.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0