Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: iPad Mini questions

I recently sold my second gen iPad for the latest non-retina iPad mini (WiFi only). The mini serves me much better since I use it mainly for internet browsing, document reading, and to hook up to the projector in class when I teach so I don't have to lug my laptop around. The smaller size makes all the difference to me. I also find it easier to use the software keyboard in portrait mode on the mini. I don't use it for any lengthy document typing, just quick emails here and there. The iPad is also my entertainment device (games, movies, shows, etc), particularly when I travel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What do you use for video editing? Do you carry a computer as well in order to transfer the video files, or do you transfer them from the camera via wifi? I'm planning to do some videos on an upcoming dive trip, but haven't worked out the best method (if there is one) for using only the iPad mini.[/QUOTE]

Well here is my very very very minimalist filmmaker setup. Who needs a brain bag, give me a side effect!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  870.0 KB

I use my Sony RX-100 mark 2 camera to shoot MP4 format video (what the iPad likes to see), I upload the video files to the iPad via the built in wifi (camera connector kit works as well) and use Corel's Pinnacle Studio app to edit. The iMovie app works well too but sometimes the transitions can be a bit hokey, although it is worth having for the always entertaining drag and drop movie trailer feature.

Pinnacle studio is easy to use yet powerful, has a companion desktop app that gets along well with the iPad version. It accepts voice-overs via the iPad's built in microphone or you could use any of the USB microphones that are now made for iDevices for studio-like quality. To add music it is a matter of dragging and dropping from your iTunes library.

If I have to nitpick the things I would complain about in this setup are having to shoot lower quality MP4 instead of AVCHD which I prefer for computer based editing. I wish my camera could save both simultaneously but that ain't gonna happen. The slow motion in pinnacle studio isn't great, sometimes it can be a bit jerky. You have to pay an extra $5 for the video sharing add-on in pinnacle. You can always save it to your camera roll but when you share it from there video quality can suffer from the added layer of compression and conversion.

Here is a quick and dirty movie I shot on my way home from work today. I shot it completely handheld, Shooting from the hip, not really trying too hard to keep it steady. It's my first upload to vimeo and it doesn't seem to like the mp4 format but I'll keep trying to get it to cooperate. I can Dropbox you the video file I have which looks far better but for an idea of the capabilities of Pinnacle and a pocketable shooting and editing rig the vimeo one should do.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Neat-looking video! This is Calgary, Alberta?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Neat-looking video! This is Calgary, Alberta?
    It's the shaky, bumpy, quickly edited, vimeo compressed version of it! I might go back and add a bit more footage later but I wanted to show what the tiny setup could do.

That's awesome, Miking - thank you so much! I'm going to test this out with my camera - seems like it will work perfectly.

I want to thank everyone for participating in this discussion thread so far. I'm really learning a great deal.

Due to repeated references to the Amazon Kindle e-book reader, I decided to start a new thread to focus discussion on that as well. (I wanted to make sure the discussion of the two distinct devices did not get mixed together.) If anyone wants to discuss the Kindle with me, please feel free to follow this link to participate.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

More questions...

12: What adaptor/charger apparatus is included with the iPad Mini? Do you need to buy anything extra to plug-into a wall outlet?

13: How does your iPad Mini interface with a Windows PC? (Software, cables/adaptors, etc.)

14: How does your iPad Mini interface with a Mac?

15: I saw, in a recent edition of Backpacker magazine, that there are iPad apps for creating maps and following maps/GPS directions using an iPad. Has anyone here ever used this capability/apps?

More questions...

12: What adaptor/charger apparatus is included with the iPad Mini? Do you need to buy anything extra to plug-into a wall outlet?

13: How does your iPad Mini interface with a Windows PC? (Software, cables/adaptors, etc.)

14: How does your iPad Mini interface with a Mac?

15: I saw, in a recent edition of Backpacker magazine, that there are iPad apps for creating maps and following maps/GPS directions using an iPad. Has anyone here ever used this capability/apps?
    The mini comes with a USB to Lightning connector cable and a USB power adaptor. I think this is the standard for any Apple personal device these days. The cable is about 3-ft long. I've since gotten a 6-ft cord for greater ease of use.
Views: 311
Size:  564.7 KB

Because my iPhone 4 uses the 30-pin connector, I purchased a 30-pin to Lightning adaptor for travel so that I only need a single cord. (I travel with the iPhone cable, which isn't shown here.)
Views: 283
Size:  864.4 KB

As for interfacing with Mac or PC, I think it's just a matter of downloading the appropriate version of iTunes for your machine. Then plug it in via the USB to Lightning cable.

I've only used Google maps for general directions. No experience with any hiking or mapping apps.
    Last edited by hamiltee; 03-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Here are some questions I've been hearing, and don't have the answers to since I don't own an iPad (mini or not):

1: Does anyone here own an older iPad Mini? What do you think of it?
    I don't have the previous mini, but do have an Ipad 2

2: Does anyone here own the newest iPad Mini with Retina Display? What do you think of it?
    I have the retina mini and I love it. Best apple device I've purchased in a while.

3: Has anyone who currently owns one of these gadgets tried tinkering with a newer (or older) one to see what the difference is? How does it stack up to the iPad Air?
    Mostly the CPU and screen resolution. Ipad air is almost identical to the mini in terms of hardware.
    4: Would you use this device as an e-book reader? Would you be able to read it in an outdoors situation? Would a Kindle or other tablet be a better choice for that?
    Kindle is always going to be better than an iPad for reading in my opinion. I use mine as a reader so I don't have to spend money to get a kindle. I think this would be a function of if you want to use it more just just books or use the apps and read some.
    5: Does anyone here regularly use an iPad as an iPod (music player)? What do you think of it?
    I use mine as a jukebox on my desk. Works just like iPod except you can see the album art better since the screen is larger.
    6: Does anyone here use an iPad as an internet appliance? (web browsing, e-mail, social media, chat) What do you think of it?
    I use my iPads in this manner. I love it for a couch computer. I return email, surf the web, buy stuff on the internet etc. It works fine as long as the site is formatted for mobile, which most are these days.
    7: What is the most unusual use you have for your iPad? Is it something a tablet does better than any other device?
    Not unusual, but the portability is what sets the mini apart from everything else. Well, that and the fit and finish.
    8: Do you ever use an external keyboard with your iPad? If so, how well does the keyboard work for you? What kind of keyboard do you use?
    I use a bluetooth apple keyboard if I'm going to type a lot. I also have a macbook air 11 that I grab if I need to write something extremely long and don't want to deal with a separate display (keep in mind, you need to use your figure still on the ipad mini when using a keyboard)
    9: Is your iPad WiFi only, or does it also have cellular capability?
    Wifi + 4G....holds value better, have it if I need it and it's pay as you go, no reason not to. Another thing...you can't add it after the fact.
    10: Explain how you use your iPad while traveling to enhance your traveling experience.
    Maps, finding things, checking flights, restaurants, etc.
    11: I see that there are at least two generations of the iPad Mini. (2012 and 2013?) What do you think of the photo and video quality of the Mini's built-in camera, and has the image quality improved with the newer model?
    Here's a good review that answers this question:
    Differences Between iPad mini and iPad mini 2 (Retina) @ EveryiPad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    What do you use for video editing? Do you carry a computer as well in order to transfer the video files, or do you transfer them from the camera via wifi? I'm planning to do some videos on an upcoming dive trip, but haven't worked out the best method (if there is one) for using only the iPad mini.
    Well here is my very very very minimalist filmmaker setup. Who needs a brain bag, give me a side effect!
Views: 474
Size:  870.0 KB

I use my Sony RX-100 mark 2 camera to shoot MP4 format video (what the iPad likes to see), I upload the video files to the iPad via the built in wifi (camera connector kit works as well) and use Corel's Pinnacle Studio app to edit. The iMovie app works well too but sometimes the transitions can be a bit hokey, although it is worth having for the always entertaining drag and drop movie trailer feature.

Pinnacle studio is easy to use yet powerful, has a companion desktop app that gets along well with the iPad version. It accepts voice-overs via the iPad's built in microphone or you could use any of the USB microphones that are now made for iDevices for studio-like quality. To add music it is a matter of dragging and dropping from your iTunes library.

If I have to nitpick the things I would complain about in this setup are having to shoot lower quality MP4 instead of AVCHD which I prefer for computer based editing. I wish my camera could save both simultaneously but that ain't gonna happen. The slow motion in pinnacle studio isn't great, sometimes it can be a bit jerky. You have to pay an extra $5 for the video sharing add-on in pinnacle. You can always save it to your camera roll but when you share it from there video quality can suffer from the added layer of compression and conversion.

Here is a quick and dirty movie I shot on my way home from work today. I shot it completely handheld, Shooting from the hip, not really trying too hard to keep it steady. It's my first upload to vimeo and it doesn't seem to like the mp4 format but I'll keep trying to get it to cooperate. I can Dropbox you the video file I have which looks far better but for an idea of the capabilities of Pinnacle and a pocketable shooting and editing rig the vimeo one should do.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

[/QUOTE]

Have that same camera and it's perfect for when you don't want to drag the DSLR with you.
    Miking likes this.

Cache question,

Which cache would best fit the new ipad mini/with retina with a Smart Cover ? (Not smart case, Smart Cover )
    The laptop guide doesn't seem to list the mini sizes.

It. May have been mentioned above, but then I missed it. :-/

Thanx

Some more questions now, focusing on using the iPad Mini for presentations...

16: What kind of hardware accessories do you use to connect your iPad to an HDTV? How do you connect it to the TV? via HDMI port? By another means?

17: Does anyone here use a Google Chromecast to connect an iPad or other computers or devices to an HDTV? If so, what do you think of it?

18: What kind of hardware accessories do you use to connect your iPad to an overhead projector? What port(s_ on the projector do you connect to? How well does it work?

19: Does a Google Chromecast work on an overhead projector with a USB port? If so, how well does this arrangement work with an iPad? Other computers/devices?

20: Does anyone here use Apple software (iPhoto, Keynote, etc.) on an iPad to make presentations before a group? If so, what do you think of this software? [NOTE: I use iPhoto 2011 for MacOS X; I currently have over 52,000 photos in my iPhoto library and counting... I was an early adopter of both digital photography and iPhoto; started shooting digital photos in 2001 and using the very first iPhoto when it came out. I would imagine if I wanted to present a slideshow from my iPhoto library, I would have to choose which photos/albums to transfer to a tablet device in advance in order to show people something.]

21: What non-Apple software do you use on your iPad to give group presentations? What does this software do? What do you think of it?

22: What if you are traveling light with just an iPad (Mini or full-size), and have no immediate access to a projector or TV? How do you show someone a presentation or photos easily and effectively?

TWO UNRELATED QUESTIONS...

23: If you were on-the-road with nothing but your iPad (no laptop along for the ride) and you wanted to check your e-mail or text messages or check the latest news or weather radar on the web, how easy is it to do this with an iPad? Do you just find a coffee shop or McDonald's with Wifi and ask for access? Is it as difficult, less, or more than checking the internet with a laptop?

24: How concerned are you about your iPad being stolen, lost or damaged? How do you protect your investment? I would imagine a device that small would be pretty vulnerable to something unfortunate happening, deliberate or not...

Since I don't use my iPad for presentations, I shall answer...

23: If you were on-the-road with nothing but your iPad (no laptop along for the ride) and you wanted to check your e-mail or text messages or check the latest news or weather radar on the web, how easy is it to do this with an iPad? Do you just find a coffee shop or McDonald's with Wifi and ask for access? Is it as difficult, less, or more than checking the internet with a laptop?
    I don't think there's much difference between using an iPad and using a laptop. If you have access to wifi, both devices should connect with similar ease. For me the only noticeable difference is that iOS web browsers are slower because of the limited processing power.

24: How concerned are you about your iPad being stolen, lost or damaged? How do you protect your investment? I would imagine a device that small would be pretty vulnerable to something unfortunate happening, deliberate or not...
    I'm moderately concerned, but I'm always careful with my stuff. I don't flash my iPad around in the street (unlike people I've seen using it as a camera at tourist spots!) and if I'm in a hotel I lock it in the room safe when I'm not using it*. I guess it's more concealable than a laptop if stolen, but it's also easier to carry around in an inconspicuous shoulder bag, so I think the two factors balance out.

OTOH one of the reasons I own an ereader (Kobo) as well as an iPad Mini is that it's much cheaper as well as more robust, so I don't have to worry about dropping and breaking several hundred pounds' worth of kit when I'm reading on the go.

* I know such things can be broken into if one is determined, but we're talking reasonable precautions here, not paranoia!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Some more questions now, focusing on using the iPad Mini for presentations...

16: What kind of hardware accessories do you use to connect your iPad to an HDTV? How do you connect it to the TV? via HDMI port? By another means?

Apple has a host of adapters that allow for connecting to a wide range of devices including HDMI, DVI, mini DVI, serial ports, etc. that catch is that they are each $30-40. They all work well as the iPad allows for mirroring on most devices and certain apps have been designed for presentation on alternate devices.

17: Does anyone here use a Google Chromecast to connect an iPad or other computers or devices to an HDTV? If so, what do you think of it?

Never tried it but may be problematic as you need a USB port and the only way to get one w an iPad is thru their camera connection kit - another adapter.

18: What kind of hardware accessories do you use to connect your iPad to an overhead projector? What port(s_ on the projector do you connect to? How well does it work?

Never had to do that.

19: Does a Google Chromecast work on an overhead projector with a USB port? If so, how well does this arrangement work with an iPad? Other computers/devices?

Don't know.

20: Does anyone here use Apple software (iPhoto, Keynote, etc.) on an iPad to make presentations before a group? If so, what do you think of this software? [NOTE: I use iPhoto 2011 for MacOS X; I currently have over 52,000 photos in my iPhoto library and counting... I was an early adopter of both digital photography and iPhoto; started shooting digital photos in 2001 and using the very first iPhoto when it came out. I would imagine if I wanted to present a slideshow from my iPhoto library, I would have to choose which photos/albums to transfer to a tablet device in advance in order to show people something.]

No problems using either keynote or iPhoto. Keynote also does a pretty good job of working with ppt files.

21: What non-Apple software do you use on your iPad to give group presentations? What does this software do? What do you think of it?

None so far - but I do not do a lot of group presentations

22: What if you are traveling light with just an iPad (Mini or full-size), and have no immediate access to a projector or TV? How do you show someone a presentation or photos easily and effectively?

Air drop is useful if others have compatible products. Otherwise I am not sure.

23: If you were on-the-road with nothing but your iPad (no laptop along for the ride) and you wanted to check your e-mail or text messages or check the latest news or weather radar on the web, how easy is it to do this with an iPad? Do you just find a coffee shop or McDonald's with Wifi and ask for access? Is it as difficult, less, or more than checking the internet with a laptop? Norms the same as a laptop in my view. Never had trouble connecting to available wifi.

If wifi unavailable, I use my phone as a hotspot and connect that way.mmpf course you can get an iPad w 4g built in and pay monthly as you go.

I treat it the same as a laptop - never go away from it, use reasonable caution publicly. It can be snatched and grabbed as easily as a laptop or phone. Basically, don't do stupid things!

For some reasons, many responses were embedded within the quotes - sorry about that.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 03-16-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarifications

I have a first generation iPad Mini, I like it a lot.

It is housed in a Zagg Keyboard case and transported inside a netbook Vertical Cache, it is a roomy fit vertically and tighter horizontaly, it fits perfectly inside the inner pocket of the Synapse 19 main compartment.

Jeff our very own Restless Tech has done a masterful review of it and other iPad Mini keyboards on his blog.
    ZAGG Mini 7 Keyboard Case Review - Restless Tech

iPad Mini Keyboard Giveaway - Restless Tech

Jeff has also reviewed Google Chromecast Review - Restless Tech

I don't do presentations but the iPad was my only electronic during last year's trip to Europe.

It worked very well, I have one with mobile data plan which has the possibility of upgrading with international plans.

I feel the need to warn people that JFK arrivals area blocks access to external mobile data to force you to use their preferred provider.
    To me, it didn't look secure, so I used the old fashioned phones to grab a hotel room.

The iPad Mini has replaced the clunky netbook as a travel companion and I like it much better.

Note that my better half also uses an Android tablet with is adequate, it has the "advantage" of being able to be used with low cost carriers and Google Talk.

When Dumbdroid phone stated to overheat, it was replaced by an iPhone.

I like the iPhone much much better, you can find older ones barely used, from people who because of their business or because they are into games or fashion or trends need the latest model.

Because portable phone in iPhone size are ubiquitous, I was happy to get one to message, do a quick surfing for web data, a map check and of course a call.

In general, I leave my iPad Mini inside its Cache unless I am in an enclosed area such as an airport, train station, hotel lobby, mall seating areas, cafes, bookstores, conference room...
    Last edited by backpack; 03-16-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    WenV likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0