Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grandcache

Thread: Searching for the perfect lunch box...

Searching for the perfect lunch box...

Obviously, this is a rather subjective task, but people on here always seem to have good gear suggestions. I'm searching for a lunch box that:
    • is big enough for a substantial salad (at least 32 ounces)
    • made from non-toxic materials - i.e. not plastic, even the BPA-free plastics make me feel a little icky
    • relatively lightweight (I use 2 cup glass containers now which aren't big enough but are already pretty heavy - I'll most likely keep using them for food that I'll be reheating though)
    • doesn't need to be microwave safe (will be using for food I don't need to reheat)
    • good sealing lids (not necessarily leak-proof, but close)
    • can fit in the bottom pocket of my Synapse 25
    • as a bonus - can fit in one of the front side pockets of the Pilot I've been hoping to justify buying soon
    • another bonus - if it has removable dividers to allow for packing multi-part lunches (but note: removable, so that I can use the whole container for a big salad when needed)

My material constraints are pointing me towards stainless steel. My most promising option right now seems to be one of these Steeltainer options: Amazon.com: Steeltainer Leak-proof Stainless Steel DEEP Full Size Container (White): Kitchen & Dining (40 ounces, 7.25" x 5" x 3.25") Amazon.com: Steeltainer Leak-proof Stainless Steel FAMILY Size Food Container 60 Ounces (White): Kitchen & Dining (60 ounces, 10.25" x 7.5" x 2.75"). Not so sure that the first would fit in the Pilot front pocket or that the second would fit in the bottom pocket of the Synapse (edit: just took a ruler to the bottom pocket of my Synapse, and the second container most likely wouldn't fit or would be a real squeeze - looks like maximum size would be something like 11" x 6.5" x 3.5").

So does anyone have any suggestions? Could be willing to bend on some of my requirements if someone has a strong recommendation...
    Last edited by ClaireJ; 02-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.

LunchBots has recently added an "adult size" container to their line. I have not had experience with the new size, but I know the regular size fits easily in the pockets in many TB bags. Explore the options at LunchBots Stainless Steel Food Containers | Bento Boxes | Lunch Containers. I use Bento Bands as added insurance when I am really concerned about the possibility of the lid popping off. Although I have not had a problem even when I don't use a band. Amazon.com: 3 pc Bento Box Lunch Box Strap Belt: Kitchen & Dining

Also, I have used silicone muffin cups to subdivide my single compartment container when I have wanted a bit of separation for my different food items. http://www.amazon.com/Kitchie-Premiu...e+muffin+liner
    Last edited by Grandcache; 02-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

There's a nice selection of stainless steel lunch containers at Lunch Boxes and Accessories | Life Without Plastic Boutique. I've tried the "airtight watertight" containers and have been happy with them. They are pretty lightweight.