Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tpnl

Thread: Water Bottles to fit in Pilot

Water Bottles to fit in Pilot

Hi everyone. Looking for "THE BEST" water bottle to go in my pilot work bag.

While we are on the topic, would also be interested in recommendations on similar bottles for coffee.
    Doesn't have to be huge, small is fine. But no leaks! Not too much bulge in my Pilot!

Haven't even received my pilot yet, but it's on its way! Planning ahead.

smj
    Here's a coffee mug recommendation: Amazon.com: Contigo AUTOSEAL Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Tumbler, 16 Ounces, Black: Kitchen & Dining
    For water bottles, I like the lifefactory 16 ounce bottles - I'd go with the screw top and not the flip open ones.
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

I have been using a Hydro Flask bottle recently.
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

If you want to carry hot liquids, the Zojirushi Travel Mug is fantastic. Completely leak-proof, easy to drink from, doesn't hold smells, and keeps liquids piping hot for hours. I have the 12 ounce version, but the 16 ounce should fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    If you want to carry hot liquids, the Zojirushi Travel Mug is fantastic. Completely leak-proof, easy to drink from, doesn't hold smells, and keeps liquids piping hot for hours. I have the 12 ounce version, but the 16 ounce should fit too.
    I second the recommendation and add that the insides completely disassemble for cleaning purposes.
    Since I carry hot coco and soy latte at times the cleaning is necessary to prevent any build up on the inside elements that a rinse just doesn't cut it. I also find that using a q-tip on the narrow throat piece is helpful in the cleaning process.
    To that end, having both the 12 ounce dark blue and the champagne color the later's is a little a little easier to see that u r doing a good job in the cleaning.

Although you could drink diectly from it, I do find that the use of a collapsible silicone cup is helpful for drinking expresso and such, I carry two if I'm traveling with someone. It comes in a cobalt blue color as well. It comes in black as well, but I would avoid that for the ease of seeing what liquid is left in the cup while drinking. ( two of them fit very nicely in a small Tb pouch, along with a little fold up sandwich baggi for the used cup before u get to cleaning it )
    Amazon.com: Lewis N. Clark Luggage Silicone Travel Cup, Green, One Size: Clothing
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-15-2014 at 04:21 AM.

My favorite is Flylady"s large stainless steel water bottle. It fits like it was made for the Pilot, keeps the water ice cold for more than a day, and is dishwasher safe, although I still prefer to hand wash it. FlyLady's FlyShop

For water, I like glass ones with a silicone sleeve. The two I like most are:

Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle - Our favorite glass reusable water bottle - TOM BIHN - there are flip and straw cap versions as well. You can see them at Lifefactory - BPA-Free, Glass Bottles with Silicone Sleeves, Beverage Bottles, BPA-Free Baby Bottles, Silicone Teethers as well. Get one from TB while you make more TB purchases/acquisitions !!
    Classic Glass Bottle 22 oz - Glass Beverage Bottles | Takeya - there are 16 and 12 oz. sizes too - My friend loves this one and it looks fantastic but has a loop that may stick out a bit.

I use the life factory one because it is made in USA (glass in France) and hooks well into my Brain Bag centre section.

For coffee, I am going to say it depends on how you drink your coffee - do you sip it all day or within the first few hours of work?
    If you sip all day, I agree with bchaplin - the Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug is the best by far. In tests, it keeps your beverage hot the longest by far - really impressive. So your coffee will actually be at the perfect temperature at the end of the day (taste may be another matter ... ). Note that this mug has a lot of parts that will need regular disassembly and cleaning but a small price to pay for perfect temp coffee.

Now, for me, I actually do not want my coffee piping hot - I actually prefer it at a slightly lower temperature so I do not have to always worry about burning my mouth - so the Z mug is not for me. I also drink my coffee within the first few hours of the day so having hot coffee at the end of the day is not of concern for me. Therefore, I use a slightly less "thermally efficient" mug that is very simple to use, is spill proof and less likely to cause me to burn my tongue.

As with SMJ, I really like Contigo mugs - the Contigo Aria autoseal locking mug or the Westloop autoseal version - Contigo - Travel Mugs. All sizes should fit in your pilot (the largest one is under 10" tall). It is easy to use, looks good, is automatically sealing, the Aria version locks for extra safety in your bag and keeps things hot enough for the few hours in the morning I need it.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    SusanM likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    For water, I like glass ones with a silicone sleeve. The two I like most are:

Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle - Our favorite glass reusable water bottle - TOM BIHN - there are flip and straw cap versions as well. You can see them at Lifefactory - BPA-Free, Glass Bottles with Silicone Sleeves, Beverage Bottles, BPA-Free Baby Bottles, Silicone Teethers as well. Get one from TB while you make more TB purchases/acquisitions !!

I use the life factory one because it is made in USA (glass in France) and hooks well into my Brain Bag centre section.
    I'll add a few comments to @tpnl's excellent summary. Both sizes of the Life Factory water bottles that Tom Bihn sells (22 oz and 16 oz) will fit in the water bottle pocket of the Pilot, which will also hold the 32 oz Matterhorn Water Bottle (for those forum members who got this when it was introduced in March 2012), or it's current successor, the Motto Water Bottle — both made by Liberty Bottleworks. However, you might want to keep in mind the flexibility of transferring between other bags. The 22 oz Life Factory bottle won't fit in the water bottle pocket of the Co-Pilot (although the 16 oz size will).

The Contigo and Zojirushi bottles have nice designs that fit well into the pockets of other bags like the Synapse (and Zojirushi has a number of other even slimmer designs for side pocket use.). You can also take a look at the pictures and post gochicken made in The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014! thread. It's #354 dated 02/05/2014, and shows her Ballistic Nylon Steel/UV Pilot with a variety of water bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    The water bottle pocket fits (left to right) a 16 Oz Klean Kanteen with cafe lid, an insulated Contigo, a 24 oz Tervis, and my tall non-insulated Contigo. (sorry don’t know the sizes of the Contigos
    HTH.

P.S. Amazing. The link that appears as "Originally Posted by gochicken" works correctly in TapaTalk to go directly to the post in question with the picture. This didn't use to work. Or, if you're reading this in Safari on an iPad you can just tap the arrow to the right of the person being quoted (e.g. gochicken). But for people reading in the native Safari web browser on the iPhone I still need to give the thread link with instructions on how to get to the post in question.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-15-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added P.S. comment

You can always count on this forum for impressive detail on gear!

In terms of sanitation and health concerns, are any better than the others? I imagine the zojirushi is good because it comes apart, making it easier to clean. Any other considerations?

Flylady's comes apart in 3 pieces (lid, drinking spout, and bottle), and being dishwasher safe makes it pretty sanitary, I think.

I love my Vapur bottles for water. I have not had one leak yet in the 2 years I've been using them. For coffee/tea, I love my zojirushi thermoses. We have a 12oz and a 32oz one. No leaks and they stay hot for over 24hrs.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

The LifeFactory bottle looks good for water. Sounds very clean, safe, no random tastes. But, it's glass! I guess this would be fine for bringing to the office and back, but not for trips where it could get banged around and maybe break. Right?

Is the Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug also recommended for just drinking water straight from it?

smj
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    I guess this would be fine for bringing to the office and back, but not for trips where it could get banged around and maybe break. Right?
    They actually take a decent amount of banging around, but yes, it's a risk that they'd break. I've dropped one on the concrete from about 5 feet and it didn't break. YMMV. See this video the TB crew did a while back:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5Jw9z8P8g
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0