Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By PaulT00
  • 1 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By AVService
  • 2 Post By blackfungi

Thread: UPS Delivery Problems

Thumbs down UPS Delivery Problems

I'm really unhappy at the moment. My Pilot was scheduled to be delivered today, by end of day. I've been in, all day - I deliberately have not left the building at all. I've just come back upstairs to my office and hit 'refresh' on the UPS tracking page, to discover that they claim to have attempted delivery at 3:03pm. Sure enough, I go downstairs to discover a little card in my letterbox.

The only problem is, I WAS IN!

At 3:03pm I was in the dining room eating lunch with my partner, about 10 feet from the doorbell sounder - which didn't ring. We also have lots of dogs who normally alert us by barking if they hear a sound, say of someone knocking on the front door - nothing.

I really don't like UPS as a delivery service. In the UK there are other couriers who provide much better tracking, so when expecting a package I don't have to be in all day. One I regularly use actually has realtime tracking on their delivery vans, and it is possible to look on their website, see a map of where the delivery is currently relative to me and get the information 'John your delivery driver is currently making delivery 46. You are delivery 67 and John should be with you in approximately 80 minutes'. All I get from UPS is 'out for delivery'. Beau recently blogged about the 'My UPS' service, but that only seems to be available in the US - I tried to register for it so I could find out the delivery window, but it wouldn't let me select a country other than US.

I've emailed UPS but somehow I don't expect much in the way of a useful reply. Tom Bihn provides great service and great products, but are being let down by their delivery contractor. Now I have to be in all day Monday as well as all day today, and hope that next time they 'attempt delivery', the UPS man actually presses the doorbell!
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I have nothing more helpful to add but sympathy.

Well UPS have managed to redeem themselves. After searching their website I eventually found a phone number, rang them and they agreed to put a message through to the local delivery centre (about 35 miles from here) to get them to call me. I never did get the call... but it appears that they contacted the delivery driver. The delivery van has just returned and I now have my parcel.

Oh... and this time, the dogs did bark!

It's just a shame I had to call them like that to get the delivery sorted...
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

+1, sorry about that!

In the U.S and other countries, some customers get the same run around from all delivery services. They have to resort to open a P.O.Box or have packages delivered at work or get to the delivery service depot to get any packages.

This holiday season, many U.S customers didn't receive their packages in time for Christmas no matter what carrier they choose and it might have been the same for all other winter holidays.

The obvious solution would be to hire more people, especially pairing a delivery person with a driver. They could either switch duties, or the delivery person which goes to the door could be a driver-in-training, learning the route.

More jobs and happy customers!

UPS Delivery Problems

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with UPS in Canada, either. I had exactly the same thing happen to me, which meant I had to arrange for yet another day of staying home, and this time limited to my living room lest I miss them again. It's not a catastrophe, of course, but it is definitely an inconvenience, especially considering how expensive it is. Next time I order, I will ask to have the package held at the facility, which is also inconvenient but better than being stuck at home for potentially multiple days. Sigh. But it is a thrill when the box is finally in my hands!

Volunteer Moderator
    I'm sorry that you had difficulties getting your package, Paul!

Sometimes, it just depends on your driver. And other times, you see trends with certain companies. I hope it isn't the latter where you live!

We happen to be home sometimes when UPS delivers, and we see a couple of drivers regularly who are just great!

Providing feedback - both positive and constructive - to your local UPS office will hopefully help to reinforce great delivery service!

Good luck!
    Darcy likes this.
    -m

We have had similar issues with just about every courier company here in Australia. The worst ones are actually the australia post couriers who are well known for "ring and run" - or even "don't ring and just leave card".

So we have a post office box for all the aus post stuff, and use TNT whenever possible who will deliver to the reception at our storage unit (storage people then SMS me, so no waiting about).

That said, every Tom Bihn delivery has been all good :-)
    List under construction ....

I am afraid that no location is immune these days to the luck of the draw with shipping.

I use a box at a UPS store as a business address,mainly because I am able to receive large items without having to be there at all. Up until a few years ago the service was decent and the prices competitive too.

My least favorite "Innovation" they now use is some thing they call Smart Post?

Basically your package gets shipped by normal means to your local town in the same time frame as it always has but then it gets handed off to the good old USPS where it can be ignored for a week or more until they feel like taking it on that final leg if the journey.

I can't imagine what idiot thought this was a good idea or who would say yes to an arrangement like that but lately if you are getting "Free Shipping" options this is what happens although there is no warning at all that it will?

It is like they have had to be creative and go out of their way to conjure a new way to deliver bad service(pun intended of course!).

For me the USPS Priority mail service used to be OK and UPS and Fedex were both something that I could count on too.

No More!

On the other hand there are a few places I deal with that somehow get good times from the old standby services and Bihn is one of them.
    I don't know how they do it but am glad that they do?!
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    My least favorite "Innovation" they now use is some thing they call Smart Post?

Basically your package gets shipped by normal means to your local town in the same time frame as it always has but then it gets handed off to the good old USPS where it can be ignored for a week or more until they feel like taking it on that final leg if the journey.

I can't imagine what idiot thought this was a good idea or who would say yes to an arrangement like that but lately if you are getting "Free Shipping" options this is what happens although there is no warning at all that it will?

It is like they have had to be creative and go out of their way to conjure a new way to deliver bad service(pun intended of course!).

For me the USPS Priority mail service used to be OK and UPS and Fedex were both something that I could count on too.

No More!
    AVService, I could not agree more strongly! I have had great service from USPS Priority Mail, Fedex and UPS as individual carriers. But for whatever reason, when Fedex hands off to USPS (Fedex SmartPost) or when UPS hands off to USPS (UPS Mail Innovations), delivery time is atrociously slow and tracking is rarely updated. And the most frustrating thing is that the shipping cost for these is usually more expensive than through regular USPS Priority Mail. Go figure.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

it's not just ups, is it? come on folks! you know this is the truth. it's everywhere. ups, the postal service, politicians, plumbers, grocery clerks etc......you have good ones and bad ones, those who care about doing their jobs and those who don't give a rat's behind. i speak from experience. life has its ups and downs.

i deliver mail and parcels for a living. i attempt all my deliveries, i do three things when i need a signature every time : i yell out very loudly, trust me, i have a very very loud voice, that i am at your door, i knock/bang on your door very hard and i ring the doorbell three times, all this so that you guys don't have to go to a depot and pick up your parcel. i order stuff online too. i wait and sometimes i get the card in my mailbox eventhough i was home. it sucks but what can you do?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0