Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By K9TB

Thread: Pet friendly blankets?

Pet friendly blankets?

I've got two sweet kitties who are the center of my world and sleep with me every night. I would love to find a blanket that doesn't generate a ton of static and that I can fit into a standard size washer on occasion. I've gone through various comforters but don't like the commercial laundry bill for the cleaning, and I've used fleece blankets, but I'm not that fond of the static. It's not that nice when my kitties sniff my finger and get a shock on the nose! I have a down alternative comforter right now that's COVERED in fur, and am going for yet another cleaning, which is happening about every 3 months (and should happen FAR more often!). Does anybody have any suggestions for a good quality blanket I can toss in the wash every couple of weeks? Thanks! I love that my fellow TB fans are also such pet lovers!!

Check the kids'section in Target or other like stores fortwincomforters. They're not down and ALWAYS washable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I throw a sheet over my comforter and it keeps Finney hair off the comforter. The sheet is much easier to wash. It keeps hair off the sheets (the ones I sleep on) too, until she slithers her way under them. My bed isn't as pretty but hey, for the beautiful but evil cat's comfort, I do whatever it takes.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

You will need to buy a queen size cotton comforter with down alternative filling and buy or make a cotton comforter cover.

Since you are in Bellingham, you could use Metrix Create: a Space in Seattle which has Sewing machines, Sergers, Embroidery Machines, Knitting Machines and industrial strength stitching machines for all of your textiles projects.

Monday nights we host Hack Your Clothes with Jennifer Leigh.

Metrix Create:Space

Link for the space and awareness of its awesomeness was shamelessly taken from this blog post:Our latest collaboration with Knitty.com and Amy Singer - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Thank You Darcy!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-12-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    Moose likes this.

Check out mambeblankets.com

Well, until TB starts making Dyneema Duvet Covers (be sure to add it to your 2014 Wish List!) you can…

Buy a duvet cover. Even king size ones should fit into a washing machine. i used to use one, but got tired of fussing with the on/off every week.

So now I'm +1 for the sheet method. I throw a flannel sheet on top of any blankets on the bed. Then that sheet gets washed as needed.

If I want the bed to look nicer, I put an EMPTY duvet cover on top of the bed. The weight of the duvet cover (and pretty pattern) makes it look more like a normal, proper bed. But still easy to keep clean.

PS - Now I'm dreaming about a TB duvet cover. There's o-rings in the four corners of the cover. And clips on the corners of the duvet. So you can hook them together so there's no shifting. O-rings…is there nothing they can't do? I am so gonna make one of these. As soon as I learn to sew.
    Moose likes this.

These are great ideas, everyone; thanks! Yes, I was trying to keep the finished bedroom look, but started wondering why, ha! It's not like I have gatherings in my bedroom! Half the time I don't even make the bed because the cats love to sleep on the rumpled comforter!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0