Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Socks Help

nsh

Socks Help

Suddenly, I looked in my sock drawer and I am down to just a few pair that are in good condition and keep my feet warm. Given this winter so far, I need to remedy the situation quickly! I would love some advice and recommendations on the best warm but not 100% wool socks that I can wear around the house (price doesn't matter because I want to invest in some great pairs that will last). Also, I was wondering if someone could recommend nice trouser socks (again not 100% wool) that come in the color black. I can't do pure wool socks because in my experience they cause my feet and ankles to itch.

For reference: I am a woman with average sized feet (7.5). I live in the Northeast so socks that keep the toes warm would be wonderful.

Thank you.

I often have the same wool-itch issue, but have found that I am able to wear Smartwool socks. In fact, my sock drawer is almost entirely full of Smartwool. I haven't had much luck with other brands. I've found Smartwool to be warm and durable too.

Try Smartwool PhD socks. They're merino. I know you said no wool, but I have the most sensitive skin in the world and they don't itch I swear. If they do make you itch, look for a blend of bamboo or viscose or rayon. Those are all natural fibers. I can't do acrylic because it feels soft but somehow clammy.
    I love socks! If I had one luxury it would be a new pair of socks every day. Have you ever looked at the website sockdreams.com? It's sock nirvana.

I've tried Darn Tough socks out of Vermont, Smartwool, Ibex, and Icebreaker. The Icebreakers are my favorite so far for everyday wear, while SmartWool is what I go to for thick heavy around-the-house socks. The wool content varies, most are merino, which is a pretty low-itch fiber. None of them get a "no vote" from me so far. Eventually, I'll try Point6, which is a company run by the people who founded SmartWool (and later sold it).
    Synapse 19 (Indigo/Solar) * Brain Bag (Indigo) * Imago (Navy/Cork/Wasabi) * Aeronaut (Navy/Wasabi) * Large Shop Bag (Nordic) * Small Shop Bag (Ultraviolet) * Side Effect (Navy/Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I love socks! If I had one luxury it would be a new pair of socks every day. Have you ever looked at the website sockdreams.com? It's sock nirvana.
    enabler!.... oh my .... plaid socks with little bear prints ....

And the AU$ is down .... aggghh
    List under construction ....

nsh
    I ordered a few multi-packs of the Smart Wool socks on-line: a three pack of knee high socks and a three pack of regular socks. I will trust that they aren't itchy! I have memories of these knitted wool socks that my mom would give us and they were huge and itchy. I think these will be very different.
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will let you know how it goes!

I second the sockdreams.com recommendation. I have been ordering from them for years and have never had any issues. Their customer service is very good. A couple of times I've emailed questions about differences between socks and have received clear responses very quickly.

I love my Icebreakers socks. They make SmartWool feel like burlap, and so far, they've been remarkably durable.

my usual go-to has been the smartwool on the job socks, which i snagged from sierra trading post. i wear sock heels out like nobody's business, and these have reinforced heels. the week's worth of socks i own have been used continuously for over 3 years with no sign of holes in any of them!

however, i recently found a couple other options at costco that have been working well for when i need thinner socks and for schlubbin' around the house. the kirkland brand wool socks are surprisingly good! they were about $10 for three pair (i got black, gray, and black & gray stripe) and are comparable to the thinner smartwool socks. i also picked up a 3-pack of wigwam ragg wool socks for lounging and have also been very pleased with those, though they're bulkier than i'd generally like to wear under a shoe.

nsh
    I got my shipment of SmartWool socks today (love that Zappos VIP membership) and I am in love with both the crew socks and the knee socks. They are cushy in the right spots and not itchy!! My warm toes are so thankful for all your help

nsh, I'm glad the Smartwool socks worked out for you. They're my go-to for everyday socks, and I have them in a variety of weights in both regular and articulated toe styles (to wear with toe shoes; classy, I know).

I have been harboring curiosity about Icebreaker socks for a while so I'm glad that others here like them. I'm looking forward to trying out a pair or two in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nsh likes this.

I'm a Smart Wool fan also, having converted my sock wardrobe year by year to all Smart Wool. I recently purchased some Icebreaker socks for a tropical trip coming up soon. I love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    nsh likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Another SmartWool fan here. I always get mine from Sierra Trading Post. They have all kinds of socks... dress socks, compression socks, athletic socks, hiking socks. Icebreaker makes great non-itchy wool clothing. I'm sure socks from them would be great!
    nsh likes this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Glad you are happy with your order! I also love smartwool socks. They (and most of the other commercial wool socks) are made of superwash merino, which has been chemically treated to not shrink or felt; hence being able to machine wash them and dry them. I do think they hold up best if they are hand washed and air dried.

Thanks for the tip re:Kirkland wool socks. DH needs some new pairs so I'll check them out.

I am a knitter and over the years I've made a stash of superwash wool/various wool blend socks. They are such a treat to wear and fun to make
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I rotate among SmartWool, Darn Tough, and PointSix. I like them all, although I tend to grab the SmartWools first. After reading this thread, I think I need to try some Icebreakers. You can never have too many socks, right??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0