Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: iPhone/iPad Calendar and/or GTD Apps?

iPhone/iPad Calendar and/or GTD Apps?

Ok, so it seems I've downloaded more alternate calendar apps and To-Do/GTD apps than I care to admit. Now seems like as good a time as any to make my New Year's resolution to narrow it down to one in each category.

I'm looking at Calendars 5 and Fantastical as iOS Calendar alternates and was wondering if anyone uses either of them?

I'm also knee deep in a sea of GTD apps and have never been quite able to settle on just one. So far, I've used Things, Omnifocus, Wunderlist, and 2Do. Each has its strengths as well as weaknesses and drawbacks. I think what I've come to understand is that as far as GTD apps go, the real issue may be my GTD system (or lack of commitment to any particular methodology).

I like the clean lines of Things, but find it not quite robust enough for some of my work projects. Wunderlist's clean interface is lovely to look at, but it doesn't lend itself to complex tasks and projects. 2Do is just way too visually cluttered for me to get anything done. Omnifocus tends to be the app I return to, but it has a steep learning curve. While I am getting much more comfortable with it, the Mac and iPad versions are getting long in the tooth. I haven't yet purchased the new iPhone version, but am close.

Does anyone else drift amongst all the choices as I have done? If so, which apps worked (or didn't) for you? Is there any particular productivity methodology that you've found to work best for you?
    MtnMan and Moose like this.

nukediver, I'm keeping an eye on your post. I would love to find a to-do app that would be useful. Something other than my pencil and a sticky note would be great. I have lists of my lists. I have at least two TB lists going right now for my next order.
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

My take on the subject: Are there any iOS apps that also tie-in with a MacOS X counterpart as well, and can they be used to "push" info between iOS devices and personal computers?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    My take on the subject: Are there any iOS apps that also tie-in with a MacOS X counterpart as well, and can they be used to "push" info between iOS devices and personal computers?
    Out of those I've listed above, 2Do, Things, Omnifocus, and Wunderlist ALL have Mac desktop counterparts. The problem becomes one of $$ because one must pay for each version. So, for the app-addicted like me, one has to pay for all 3 versions. This gets pricey when you can't make up your mind!

Nuke, I think OmniFocus is the best I've tried, and I keep returning to it. I especially like that they've done a good job of streamlining the UI with each major update and it gets easier and easier on the eyes in each iteration. The trick I've learned is to really limit the number of "mothership" folders. I have "Home" and "Work" and then have projects assigned to each of those. I'm not exactly sure how that improves things for me, but when I reduced the overall number of big capsule folders I found it easier to use.

Under "Home" and "Work" I do keep a "Someday" file so I have somewhere to stash ideas I know can't or won't come to immediate fruition. That keeps me from being overwhelmed by projects until I'm actually ready to deal with them.

@ MtnMan: OF is available in OSX, iPad, and iPhone versions but each one is quite expensive. I would suggest trying it on the platform you use most often (for most people, their phone or tablet) and then deciding if you want to go all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WenV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Nuke, I think OmniFocus is the best I've tried, and I keep returning to it. I especially like that they've done a good job of streamlining the UI with each major update and it gets easier and easier on the eyes in each iteration. The trick I've learned is to really limit the number of "mothership" folders. I have "Home" and "Work" and then have projects assigned to each of those. I'm not exactly sure how that improves things for me, but when I reduced the overall number of big capsule folders I found it easier to use.

Under "Home" and "Work" I do keep a "Someday" file so I have somewhere to stash ideas I know can't or won't come to immediate fruition. That keeps me from being overwhelmed by projects until I'm actually ready to deal with them.

I would have to agree. I started with OF, but each time I got discouraged, off I'd go to the App Store. That was usually about the time my "mothership" folders multiplied out of control. Ironically just before I decided to write this post, I'd returned to OF, hoping to make it work. Perhaps if I just deleted all those other apps and focused on OF, I'd be on my way to a more organized 2014 :-)

Worlds colliding!

I guess it's to be expected that the bag obsessed are also GTD'ers.

I'm lucky that my life is simple enough that paper suffices. MrDaisy uses Things (although he's never read "the book")
    List under construction ....

iPhone/iPad Calendar and/or GTD Apps?

I use Pocket Informant for a calendar/contacts/tasks app on my iPhone and iPad. It syncs with Google Calendar, which is what I use on my computer, though there is also Pocket Informant Online or the stock iOS/OSX apps (Contacts, Calendar) as options. It apparently supports GTD task management but I am the type-it-in-and-that's-good-enough type so I can't really comment on that.

It is a universal app so you don't need to buy separate iPhone/iPad apps.

I have been using PI since the spring and it has worked quite smoothly for me.

I found the iPad/iPhone calendar, reminder and notes to be sufficient.

I was thinking of adding Evernote, due to the positive things I have heard about it, from people in fields that entail a great deal of writing. But it is not for me.

I think that Pages, Numbers and Keynotes would be more appropriate. But, users have complained that the desktop/laptop version has been streamlined to the same level as the iDevices ones.

I have a Linux desktop and like Libre Office a lot for complex writing tasks and Notepad for quick note taking.

I have a Field Journal Notebook with a yearly calendar printout, lightweight recycled lined paper for quick note taking, packing and short term to do lists, which I used to transport in the notepad they came from but, now I tear and punch a couples of pages at a time.

I also use Neenah Conservation Paper in Grid (sold as an FJN accessory, in a pack of 100, pre-punched) for long note taking at conferences and workshops as well as a one page per day calendar/task
    I write with fountain pens and pencils, the paper is a dream to use.

The pairing of digital and analogue organizing tools is wonderful.

Digital visual and audio reminders at set intervals help with time sensitive endeavors.

The touch of a button, brings easy to edit daily, weekly, monthly, yearly calendars, lists, reminders and short notes.
    Email and Message apps synch multiple tasks, share ideas and documents between individuals

Analogue writing in the Field Journal Notebook, can be done anywhere, due to its ingenious engineering. Not only for great field note taking but also for travel or everyday public transport commute journaling.

It's size and stylish line make it is acceptable in meetings where digital notetaking would be inconsiderate and not as fast.
    For example, during a boring meeting or lecture (the ones where the "speaker" reads the keynote or handouts documents words for words in a monotonous tone), an attendee can write an idea for a birthday party, a clever saying or idea which is better than falling asleep.

Having a resonably sized mean of writing at hand, at all time, encourages deeper thinking, one can always go back to the outline of a book chapter or plans for an elaborate project, etc...

It is great for people having to deal with insomnia either chronic, seasonal time change or jet lag related.
    Critic of an audio book or song, Mark Twain style thoughts on the politicians who instigated the time change disaster or the revision of the next day travel (more nap enabling transport and meal stopovers instead of sightseeing treks with a pinch of street food and occasional break)

The setup is especially pleasing with iDevices and the FJN used together (the iPad mini fits inside the FJN)

i never got into the "true" GTD/omnifocus system, but i am super-addicted to things. i use it on my mac, my iPhone, and my iPad, and i really really love it. that wunderlist looks super pretty, though! tempting...

for my calendar, i use the standard iOS calendar on my iPhone and iPad, but on my mac i've been using busycal for a billion years, to sync everything. i think i started using it because i needed to sync with my husband's calendars and/or because i needed to sync across multiple computers (school vs. home), but i'm pretty sure regular ol' iCal can do that nowadays... but then i *kept* using busycal because i also needed to sync with a google calendar i had set up for my TAs to view, and i *couldn't* do that with regular ol' iCal. and then, i got lazy/in a rut, and now i honestly don't know if i still "need" to use busycal for these things or not! may i ask why you are looking for a calendar alternative? is it because you don't like iCal (etc) or because there is something it can't do? i had never heard of the two you mentioned, but now that i'm looking at them they both look pretty nifty... i'm particularly drawn to the look of fantastical.

Check out the book "Control Your Day." On B&N. I like his GTD method the best. Works in Outlook on my laptop and i can make subfolders in my inbox to move emails on my iPhone for processing.

Rae
    For calendar apps I'm down to the built in calendar from Apple and Fantasical 2. To be honest, the natural language entry takes some adjustment for me. I often have some additional details I need to add to the notes section of the calendar entry. Sometimes it's easier for me to just make the entry in the Apple calendar app. I do really enjoy Fantasical, I bought the 2nd version as soon as it was released. I've thought about trying Calendars 5 but I've read in some reviews it doesn't play nicely with the iCloud calendar and that's where all my calendar information lives.

I don't strictly adhere to GTD, but I'm a massive fan of OmniFocus. Massive. It's my second brain. I keep all of my work and personal project and tasks in OmniFocus. I have the trusty Mac version which I've had for ages and where I do most of my data entry. I really like that I can have the archive on my Mac version, which means a radical overhaul of the system is very easy. I also have the original iPhone app, new iPhone app (which is so pretty!) and the iPad app. I use a WebDAV service to sync, but I have used the free service from OmniGroup. I will happily give OmniGroup more of my money when they release the version 2 of the Mac and iPad apps. I saw the demo of OmniFocus 2 for the Mac and cannot wait for the release of the app. I still don't like that they changed the start date to defer until.

I use Evernote for reference material especially since I can create links to Evernote notes and add that to the notes section of a OmniFocus task. I also use Evernote to contain items like my packing lists.

I’m getting all excited about organizing again, and I’m on vacation

+1 for Evernote

+1 for Evernote

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post
    may i ask why you are looking for a calendar alternative? is it because you don't like iCal (etc) or because there is something it can't do? i had never heard of the two you mentioned, but now that i'm looking at them they both look pretty nifty... i'm particularly drawn to the look of fantastical.
    The answer is that I find the new iOS7 implementation of iCal to be horrendous. It's almost too simplified.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast