Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: iPhone/iPad Calendar and/or GTD Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I use Evernote for reference material especially since I can create links to Evernote notes and add that to the notes section of a OmniFocus task. I also use Evernote to contain items like my packing lists.
    I am a HUGE Evernote fan - I recently upgraded to Pro and use it as a giant searchable repository for lists (beer, wine, recipes), travel (it shines in this department), and tracking health information. The best part is I can share individual notes or notebooks with friends and family.
    TavaPeak and WenV like this.

I've stuck with the generic calendar and contact apps on my Ipadmini anf Iphone because I KNOW I can get them to sync with my Windows laptop albeit manually. All right. I said it. The W word.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    The answer is that I find the new iOS7 implementation of iCal to be horrendous. It's almost too simplified.
    yeah, i can definitely understand that. my biggest disappointment is that the list view was removed. *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post
    yeah, i can definitely understand that. my biggest disappointment is that the list view was removed. *sob*
    the IOS7 version is certainly not intuitive ...

a list view of sorts can be found by tapping the search icon (top right of iphone screen in portrait mode) - this gives a date ordered view of everything which can then be filtered using the search bar.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post

a list view of sorts can be found by tapping the search icon (top right of iphone screen in portrait mode) - this gives a date ordered view of everything which can then be filtered using the search bar.
    Well, how about that. I learned something new tonight, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post

holy moly, THANK YOU! i can't even explain how happy this makes me.

Dear Apple,

Stop messing a good thing when you have it. I wasn't happy when the Newton was discontinued, I was very displeased when you were mum about the Invidia disaster and the issues on some Macbook Pros.

The trend of dumbing down iOS and drag Mac OS in its wake, is not a good move.

Apple fan girl since the AppleII

Hey Backpack ~ I've still got my Newton! OK it just sits on my shelf but it was my first Apple product and I loved it!

I use Omnifocus on my phone and and desktop. I find that I don't use the "Contexts" feature. I focus on Projects and make extensive use of due dates.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I use Omnifocus on my phone and and desktop. I find that I don't use the "Contexts" feature. I focus on Projects and make extensive use of due dates.
    It's funny how almost everyone I've spoken with about Omnifocus has a different approach. I've been using Contexts heavily, while I find Due Dates to be something I just keep changing. Contexts allow me to focus on what I need to do, where I am. In the last week, I've tried to stop focusing so much on the "right" way to do GTD, and more on "my" way to do GTD. One week in, and things seem to be working ok. The true test will be whether I maintain this approach over time.
    snowbot likes this.

I finally gave up on finding the "perfect" GTD app and settled on Omnifocus. It can be cumbersome at times -- but only when I try to get too granular with my tasks. If I'm not careful, I'll slip in to "hyper organization" mode, and will spend so much time breaking down tasks and organizing projects that I don't get anything done. So, I try to break down the projects into the smallest necessary tasks -- but no smaller.

I use Contexts and Projects heavily. I'm careful about due dates, and only use them when a task really does have a drop-dead due date. (Nothing worse than seeing 128 tasks due the next day, when really they're things that I would like to accomplish at some point -- but not necessarily tomorrow.) I spend some time each evening planning my work for the next day, and flag items that I need to accomplish over the next 24-48 hours. This limits the tasks that I see at any given time, and helps me focus on things that I really need to tackle.

I have a lot of projects that repeat on a consistent basis (setting up classes for the beginning of the semester, conducting annual performance reviews, etc.); I find the recurring tasks feature to be very useful for these. It takes time to initially set up the projects, but once they're set up, they kick in to autopilot mode.

I also use Evernote heavily -- primarily to capture little snippets of info that I'm not sure what to do with. I find it particularly useful for travel. It's great for keeping track of reservations, itineraries, etc. I also use it when I have lists/notes that I want to share with others. So, I don't really use Evernote as part of my GTD methodology -- more as a way to keep key info readily available.

@nukediver said this: "...I've tried to stop focusing so much on the "right" way to do GTD, and more on "my" way to do GTD." Same here -- and I've found that I'm much more productive because of it.
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2