Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DPUTiger

Thread: Minimalist money clip for casual pocket

Minimalist money clip for casual pocket

My father and I work in construction. We are outdoors much of the time, for work and for play. In the summertime, he likes to wear thin-fabric athletic shorts. (The cloth kind with the elastic waistband.) In the winter, he wears denim jeans part of the time, but cloth sweatpants most of the time. With the exception of the jeans, most of his outdoor-wear does not offer the best pockets. (Often no rear pockets at all; only front-side pockets) He sees the shorts and the sweatpants as a necessity based on the season temperature.

My father stopped using his bulky old leather wallet years ago. The old wallet was so bulky it would only fit in his jeans. He never carries a wallet in his sweatpants or shorts. He has a nasty habit of carrying disorganized wads of cash, cards and ID in those pockets, and then he has to sort through them to find anything. I'm afraid he'll loose something valuable doing that. I was thinking any ordinary wallet might befall the same fate... and if he lost the wallet, he'd loose everything.

I have decided that the best way to proceed is to get my father a minimalist money clip. I was considering some funky wallets like the Tom Bihn Clear Organizer Wallet and some other slim designs from Warerfield Designs, but they just won't work for this. I've heard of money clips before, but I haven't shopped around. What is available in this category and what works well? I want to get him something that will work well and be durable. He needs something to haul around some cash, cards and IDs. Info on this product category would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--MtnMan
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Honestly? My dad uses a binder clip. The black kind you can get at an office supply store. He's tried all the fancy ones and that's what he likes best. Klassy. LOL
    Synapse 19 (Indigo/Solar) * Brain Bag (Indigo) * Imago (Navy/Cork/Wasabi) * Aeronaut (Navy/Wasabi) * Large Shop Bag (Nordic) * Small Shop Bag (Ultraviolet) * Side Effect (Navy/Iberian)

I wanted to simplify my wallet set-up so I started looking for a good money clip.

I tried lots of clips and this one, Carbon Fiber Designs - Koolstof Carbon Fiber Money Clip, is by far the best. I have used it for 2 years now and love it.
    Works with lots of bills or few - never stretches out.

The HuMn wallet looks pretty cool. I was hoping to get one of these for Christmas and use it in a pocket pouch.

I do not know what actual meaning to attach to this, but not everyone is happy with HuMn.

The Carbon Fiber clip is intriguing, though pricey.

Thanks for sharing, folks.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by DPUTiger View Post
    Honestly? My dad uses a binder clip. The black kind you can get at an office supply store. He's tried all the fancy ones and that's what he likes best. Klassy. LOL

This is VERY intriguing! Will have to try it out. Thanks.

Just got the HuMn wallet today. I got the mini which negated the sharp edges problem. I got the two card setup but think I am going to stick with one card and the band as a clip. Fits nicely in the pocket pouch and keeps my cards and money in which was starting to fall out of my stretched out pouch. That is a little scummy about the prior design by another company though didn't know about that prior to putting it on the Christmas list.

If anyone you know knows how to sew, you can purchase some 1" elastic webbing and make something like this. I made one several years ago and just cut it to about 3" and sewed the ends together. It works great and always adjusts to how much cash I am carrying, hotel keys, etc...

I bet TB could make these and sell them for $15. I've tried all sorts of things and this is by far the best. It was an improvement over a rubber band always snags and looks cheap.

http://banditclip.com/wp-content/upl..._0356-MRes.jpg

Not sure if you're still looking, but I use and really like this front pocket wallet from Levenger. Three credit cards in back pockets; ID and insurance cards in front two pockets; and dollar bills in the middle pocket.
    Bomber Jacket Front Pocket Wallet - Levenger

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0